Sign in to follow this  

strange-video card performance answer?

Guest RiddlePilot

How about making your own entries in the display.cfg. I'm trying to enter one for a GF FX5600. I copied the one from the FX5200, but I notice that the driver reference entry for the 5200 is (000010DE:00000322:nv4_disp.dll) and the entry for the Quadra is (000010DE:00000308:nv4_disp.dll). Putting 2 and 2 together, I figure that the proper entry for the 5600 is neither xxx322 nor 308. What is this entry for, and how do I go about finding the correct numbers? I've browsed through the registry and dxdiag, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking under.

Russel as a programmer I now what a remark is and have the same thoughts about it...But the strange thing is there is an increase with the same settings so that

André

Guest russell

Hi Bruce,Sorry, I have no idea what those settings are. I assume that they're settings that Microsoft has decided are best if you have that particular card mentioned in the comment above it. And it's quite possible that changing it could have an effect that there's no way to change via the user interface inside the game. And I can even go so far as to agree that it's possible that if you add a more specific entry in the display.cfg file to match your particular card, that it might read your settings instead of the settings for the generic group. But I have a feeling that if you put those same settings in the generic group, they'd work the same way. After all, it's the values (with equal signs on the lines) that make the difference, not the section they're in. So assuming you know which section FS9 is reading from, you should be able to put the values there, rather than having to create a new section. However, I suppose it's also possible that FS9 might not find a matching section at all, and just use defaults, in which case adding a specific section might give it something to read from, but I highly doubt that. I think it would use the closest section it could find.Russell

Guest Bob Z

BruceI thought about it a while longer and came to the same conclusion as you have. It makes perfect sense. I noticed that there is what seems to be a catchall entry for nvidia drivers that does not contain the vendor/device, only the driver dll name and this entry is for XP (nv4_disp.dll). So if FS9 does not get a hit on vendor/device/driver it then looks for an entry by using only the driver dll name.I reset mine back to the way it was and it seems to work the same either way because either way it gets a hit. The ME one has entries for TnL and the XP one has the Disabled=.Any improvement I mentioned was just either my imagination or something else I did. At this point I'm not really too sure about anything, but that seems to be the way FS9 works. It picks up the vendor/device/driver from the registry, searches the disply.cfg and uses any override parameters (such as TnL=0) that it finds in that entry.I did not have the FS2002 version, so this is my first aviation sim and am not familiar with the terms used in this product line. Can't help there. Can only learn.

What caused my curiousity is that it seems most every card is listed in the display.cfg file-except the one I use-the geforce4 4200ti. The fs9.cfg was very specific in identifying my card-therefore what information could it be pulling from the display.cfg if no card matches?Therefore remarks (;) aside-I assume it is calling some parameters from this file(display.cfg)-and if my card is not listed-what data is it calling? It also appears there are lists at the end for generic calls. It occured to me that perhaps it was using info for another card-and thus why my sliders did not work.Once again-my interest was not in performance increase (which seems to be a by product) -but the fact that moving the sliders made no difference at all on my machine-and I wanted the ability to use the sliders to make a performance increase.It could be very well that I am turning off some effects and getting better performance as a result (though I have noticed anything gone yet)-but my real interest is that now my sliders do work-and I can make a considerable performance difference using these now vs. before.I was hoping more than my "fix" which is more perhaps "luck" (dumb luck) that there should be an entry included in the display.cfg that does refer to my card! I was kinda hoping that a video expert (not me) might know the answer. :-)In any case-all I know is I am now getting the use of my sliders-performance and smoothness is much better-and if something is missing I sure haven't noticed it. Maybe dumb and lucky-but rightnow I"ll take it! :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

HI Bruce,These are check box in fs2004 display interface, they are the same thingRenderToTexture=0TnL=0They should be here:fs9.cfg[sOUND]SOUND=1SOUND_FADER1=0.500000SOUND_FADER2=0.100000SOUND_FADER3=0.300000SOUND_FADER4=0.800000SOUND_FADER5=0.500000SOUND_FADER6=0.800000SOUND_QUALITY=2[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X.0]Mode=1024x768x32TriLinear=1TextureAGP=0PanelAsTexture=0If you add these lineRenderToTexture=0TnL=0You will go to fs2004 display and you will see they are disabled in the graphical interface check box. ThanksChris Willis

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Then when>you changed the settings, it wrote them out to the file again,>at the bottom, with the same section name.>>That last part is the most important:>Well dang it all.Did you go and have to mention that..thought we had found the holy grail of performance boost.I did the testMy second line didnt have the Trilinear line in it.So i went to FS9 options and sure enough it was set to bilinear.So i changed it to trilinear and took a look at the FS9.cfg and well dang..if it wasnt in the second Display line..Sim works great though..lolU must be just a blast at pary's eh....always raining where u go!!!.LOL just kidding.Thanks for the headsup..

Guest SoarPics

I agree. In other parts of this thread folks are beginning to dissent against this being a "magic bullet" of performance enhancement. I tried playing with this all a bit, but saw no gain at all from my 9700 Pro. The Display.cfg settings are searched and then loaded each time we start FS. That's all.The only gain one could possibly hope for is to change the "MinDriverRev" to match what's on his/her computer in the (itty bitty) hope that a later driver has some sort of better feature that may not be seen by the call in the Display.cfg. I did make this change, and wasn't surprised that nothing changed.Back to flying now...

Guest Philip Olson

Just to pitch in here, I have a TI4600 and I tried the change and had no improvement. Later I deleted all other entries for my video card in the FS9.cfg and once again changed the first line since obviously it was changed back to TI4600. I did not have the change in resolution but I did get a fairly sizeable performance boost. I am totally at a loss to explain why or how this works but it is a simple fact that it does. I gained 4 to 7 frames per second in my testing and the sim is much smoother than before. I tested this at KCOS, KDEN and SeaTac bith before changes and after the results are the same under all conditions, major improvement. I would like to know why this happened but for now we can call it a gift from God, well maybe more realistically a gift from Geofa.Philip

Guest kilo_sierra17

I agree with people when they say just changing the refernce name can't give you more performance, but it is and I find it fascinating, Sure it might have turned some stuff off but I certainly didnt noticed anything different, just more frames and smoother, it will be interesting to see if anyone can find out why you get more frames when you change the reference name.

Guest Bob Z

I did a google search on "nvidia AND disable=". After just a brief scan of some hits, I gather that disable=1 disables AGP support. That's probably why the drivers before certain revisions have disable=1.I couldn't find any comprehensive list of parameters but it was just a quick search, and the wording of the parameters in display.cfg might be Microsoft's wording anyway.

Guest Bilbo

This would make very good sense but for the fact that I also have increased performance from my system with a GF2 MX 32 card.Bilbo

By God this works!!!!No more moires on my buildings...looks awesome.THANK YOU GEOFFA. This one gets the gold prize! This HAS to get added to the FAQ. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Hornit you may be screwed...think this may be XP specific?Hope not.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg