Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

I am now using the HIGHMEMFIX / STALE_BUFFER tweaks and all is good. I am able to max out most settings and have been unable to generate texture loss in the 744X where I would occasionally get it before. I did not clear the Shader folders as I was not clear on whether this is essential - a bit of a grey area when reading thru all 14 pages of this thread. Seems it is not neccessary then. I am not using the BufferPools option either as rock solid stability far outweights a few extra FPS for me. There has been mention of the questionable validity of nHancer in this forum and others. I know Ryan has created a post elsewhere where he also suggests that the nVidia drivers 197.13 which I use (and now 197.45 is out also I think), has all but rendered nHancer unneccesary for FSX. Possibly even having a negative effect perhaps.Is there a definitive opinion on this?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Greg,It doesn't make it unnecessary because nHancer allows you to set non-standard AA modes like 8XS - they're hidden by default in the driver control panel. What's unnecessary now (at least on my GTX260) is the override predefined settings part of the process. Nvidia has fixed it so that the "Enhance" setting actually does work now - it will take the in-game AA checkbox and essentially cause it to produce whatever type of AA you set in the driver/nHancer.nHancer is nothing more than an editor for the driver application profiles, which are stored in a file called nvapps.xml - it's just setting things in there. A lot of people think nHancer is actively doing something to the video card, it isn't. It can't do anything more than what the driver allows as far as settings - it's just able to make some settings in the nvapps.xml file that the normal driver control panel doesn't allow you to do.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Ryan,Would it be adviseable then that we keep nHancer but also check the in-game anti-aliasing check box. Or is this just duplicating the same command set in the driver, thus having no further effect?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Mr RyanMy crashes continue. i use the HIGHMEMFIX ,STALE BUFFER THRESHOLD 2147483647, TEXTURE BANDWIDTH MULT 400 ,TEXTURE MAX LOAD 9 , SOUND QUALITY 2, SOUND LOD 0, USE POOLS 0.I did not put my FSX config file because it is very long but if you want to i can do it.I have a lot of add ons installed. I use 2 monitors as a clone but i have read that is a problem so i use only one . I also turn off my VSYNC.After a period of time my FSX CTD. Please find below my system specs. I think that is a powerfull system. If someone Jeasus or Mr Ryan has a solution for me , please advise. I know more enjoy my FSX flight time. I also have put in my FSX config flight these parameters. Wideaspect true and disable pre load =1Thank you,p.s.Do you think that is necessary to use "use pools" = 0 or 85000000", or do you have a better idea.Which is your opinion and the system "crash"? It is a clean system from a format

Guest 413X3

Lower your texture bandwidth to something like 80 or 120. Remove the bufferpools section completely

Hi rebellion,I am not an expert but this is what I would do:1. Remove the UsePools = 0 option from the fsx.cfg - Ryan/******* have stated that this is not a solid option yet and can make FSX very unstable with continual CTD.2. I see your o/clock is quite extreme albeit acceptable for an i7 920. You obviously are not running a stock cooler. What RAM speed does this result in and what is it's published rating? Try turning down the overclock a little and see what results you get. Remember that FSX thrashes the CPU (or one of its cores anyway) and perhaps with some other graphics settings you are running it is being pushed over the top? I can easily get a stable o/clock to similar levels on my CPU but if I push the ram too far in the process, things do get unstable in FSX even though in any other application things appear rock solid. My point is that this could lead one to beleive it is an FSX issue when it is not.In summary, the combination of BufferPools=0 and a fairly serious o/clock on your CPU could be driving your GPU over the edge.Cheers,

GregH

The common denominator, for people having success with BP=0 is stable, fast well maintained systems. So, my suggestion, to people 'tweaking' is to first make sure they have a 100% roclk stable system, THEN start adding tweaks such as BP=0Removing the bufferpools (UsePools=0) will probably offer the most dramatic performance increase you'll ever see in FSX, but it comes at a price. STABILITY... however, if your machine was rock stable, then BP=0 will be the icing on the cake (like it is for many of us already)As for people having system crashes, remember always to include the module name, when a crash occurs you get a notification window, press the more info button to see 'WHAT" module caused the crash.Cheers,

Thanks for the quick answer.I reduce the oc to 3.8Ghz and until now i have no crash.I also remove usepools=0 but not the [bufferPools]PoolSize=0. When the fsx crash says fsx fatal error but i dont remember says anything else. I hope not to see another crash again to tell you what module was.Thank you very much

Thanks for the quick answer.I reduce the oc to 3.8Ghz and until now i have no crash.I also remove usepools=0 but not the [bufferPools]PoolSize=0. When the fsx crash says fsx fatal error but i dont remember says anything else. I hope not to see another crash again to tell you what module was.Thank you very much
Hi *******,What is the latest on this guide you are doing?I used to h fix to great success, but unsure about bufferpools, i am currently buying an i7 which comes this week.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Thanks Ryan,Would it be adviseable then that we keep nHancer but also check the in-game anti-aliasing check box. Or is this just duplicating the same command set in the driver, thus having no further effect?
Greg,If you want to use any of the AA modes that you can't access through the normal driver control panel, then yes, you need to keep nHancer installed.What you're doing with in-game AA box checked is telling the video driver to "enhance" whatever AA mode the game is ordering up on its own. This function never used to work in FSX, but does now with the recent driver sets. So, if you have the in-game AA checked and the "Enhance in-game AA" box in nHancer checked, then this is what you're doing, enhancing the AA level that the game already has set with whatever setting you choose. If the FSX box is unchecked and you have the nHancer box unchecked as well, then you're forcing whatever level of AA you have set on the whole scene regardless of whatever the FSX engine wants to do.I think there might still be some confusion going on here about what nHancer actually does... It is simply an alternate way of setting up the card options - it doesn't actually do anything other than edit the very same xml file that the driver control panel does. It's just a different (and I'd say better) visual interface for doing it. Certain modes like the combined AA stuff (ie 8XS) are not exposed in the driver control panel's AA dropdown list. They are nonetheless valid modes that exist in the driver and that's why they work with nHancer, it just inserts them into the xml profile settings file. You could do the exact same thing by hand if you wanted to. Several people in the community have made nHancer out to be something that's actively controlling the video card in real time, similar to what RivaTuner does - that's absolutely false, it's just a frontend UI for editing the profiles that are already there in the xml file and/or creating new ones. It's a glorified text editor in a way.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Kanakakis,Are you using *******'s other tweaks (UsePools=0 etc) besides the HIGHMEMFIX? Those other tweaks WILL cause the blue screen of death because the CPU overloads the video driver with data - lower your framerate limit and your autogen slider to try and get rid of it. We're increasingly suspicious that it's going to take the new GTX400 series cards at the very least to be able to run this stable with the slider settings most people are used to. The sim is too unstable without an extremely powerful card.
Hi :)I've tried your tweaks and used the HIGHMEMFIX, STALE BUFFER THRESHOLD 2147483647, TEXTURE BANDWIDTH MULT 400 ,TEXTURE MAX LOAD 9 , SOUND QUALITY 2, SOUND LOD 0, USE POOLS 0 settings and...I have no crashes, my FSX works much better and smoother, so I can even turn on Traffic and increase all settings with good results of frame rates. Thank to these tweaks my sim works faster, smoother with higher details and more options enabled.But............. I still have disappearing textures - I see skeleton of PMDG 748i instead of nice and correct livery. Sometimes is OK but very often I have to restart PC or move sliders to left and then to right and correct textures come back... but not always. I use nHancer settings described here http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 and have no idea how to repair textures, but what I like - your tweaks boost up sim and now I can fly with traffic, cars enabled etc :-)

Adrian

I've tried your tweaks and used the HIGHMEMFIX, STALE BUFFER THRESHOLD 2147483647, TEXTURE BANDWIDTH MULT 400 ,TEXTURE MAX LOAD 9 , SOUND QUALITY 2, SOUND LOD 0, USE POOLS 0 settings and...I have no crashes, my FSX works much better and smoother, so I can even turn on Traffic and increase all settings with good results of frame rates. Thank to these tweaks my sim works faster, smoother with higher details and more options enabled.But............. I still have disappearing textures - I see skeleton of PMDG 748i instead of nice and correct livery. Sometimes is OK but very often I have to restart PC or move sliders to left and then to right and correct textures come back... but not always. I use nHancer settings described here http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 and have no idea how to repair textures, but what I like - your tweaks boost up sim and now I can fly with traffic, cars enabled etc :-)
The corruption problem was experienced on Vista and Win7, your sig shows 32 bit XP :), that sounds more like just running out of memory.If I were you I'd upgrade to Win7 64, its really worth it!!Good luck,

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

If I were you I'd upgrade to Win7 64, its really worth it!!
I agree.. there is absolutely no reason to keep using XP, specially now that Win7 can handle FSX 100% rock stable. Also, as Ryan pointed out there is no need to keep using nHancer, new nVidia drivers enable AA in game perfectly.This is also the case for people running FS2004... recent 'discoveries' made FSX simmer's heaven ;) (at least for me, of course)See ya,

Hey *******, What are your thoughts on using the BP=0 with a GTX 260 SSC edition. That's what I own but I'm a little skeptical on using that specific tweak since the video memory is <1GB. Right now my i'm getting great results but I need just a little bit more kick to make everything smooth.

Christopher Edwards

Hey *******, What are your thoughts on using the BP=0 with a GTX 260 SSC edition. That's what I own but I'm a little skeptical on using that specific tweak since the video memory is <1GB. Right now my i'm getting great results but I need just a little bit more kick to make everything smooth.
I have now finally had a succesful flight with no graphics errors or crash of FSX... If this keeps up I am in heaven and this hobby will beat any hobby out there :( Gracias Jeshua

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg