Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

UTC time question

Yes, Local Time is taken from the system clock, but it has no influence on the Local Time vs. UTC offset within FSX. The offset is calculated based on time zone and time of year AFAIK.The problem seems to be that the offset between local time and UTC is incorrect for Melbourne and the surrounding area. Starting at YMLT will give you the same wrong offset. When looking up DST on Wikipedia there is a map showing that only South Australia and New South Wales and Victoria use DST but not the rest of the Continent. If thats correct maybe this adds to the problem? Strangely enough when you set YSSY as current location the offset is correct at GMT +10. The same when using YBBN.There seems to be something wrong with FSX's time zones.There is a software called FS Real Time.Its choose-your-own-price payware. Maybe it helps solving the issue?Disclaimer: This is not advertising in any form. :(Edit: Regarding this map the border between the time zones in FSX may not be accurate enough.Although Melbourne is well in the +10 time zone this might not be the case in FSX. Should you decide to try FS Real Time let us know if it solves the problem.Australian simmers would be grateful!

This is not an FSX issue, FSX simply asks the system for the time. What does your control panel Date & Time say about your DST settings? (click "change Date and Time settings" in the picture you posted above.)
Exactly... As I mentioned, click that then read my post above... or just look here:utc.jpgIt sounds like it's right though, looking at the clock side by side. I have also had issues with the time always being off, but every time it had something to do with my windows time, or zone, since like Paul says it simply checks windows.*Edit: Disregard, I think Alexander's correct.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Yes, Local Time is taken from the system clock, but it has no influence on the Local Time vs. UTC offset within FSX. The offset is calculated based on time zone and time of year AFAIK.The problem seems to be that the offset between local time and UTC is incorrect for Melbourne and the surrounding area. Starting at YMLT will give you the same wrong offset. When looking up DST on Wikipedia there is a map showing that only South Australia and New South Wales and Victoria use DST but not the rest of the Continent. If thats correct maybe this adds to the problem? Strangely enough when you set YSSY as current location the offset is correct at GMT +10. The same when using YBBN.There seems to be something wrong with FSX's time zones.There is a software called FS Real Time.Its choose-your-own-price payware. Maybe it helps solving the issue?Disclaimer: This is not advertising in any form. :( Edit: Regarding this map the border between the time zones in FSX may not be accurate enough.Although Melbourne is well in the +10 time zone this might not be the case in FSX. Should you decide to try FS Real Time let us know if it solves the problem.Australian simmers would be grateful!
Great minds think alike, already installed that exact program, Ill see how it goes.Thanks for your imput.Andrew
Exactly... As I mentioned, click that then read my post above... or just look here:utc.jpgIt sounds like it's right though, looking at the clock side by side. I have also had issues with the time always being off, but every time it had something to do with my windows time, or zone, since like Paul says it simply checks windows.*Edit: Disregard, I think Alexander's correct.
Thanks Dan for your responses, I have downloaded Real Time and I will see how that goes.Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

I'm here at YPPH and am in the same situation as Andrew (1 hour error). I believe that Alexander has the right idea: FSX is geared primarily for the Northern Hemisphere. Would be interesting to hear from others in Aust. or even in the S. Hemisphere who have this same anomaly.Chris David

GMT+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney is my PC time settings. All is set correctly in Vista.The problem seems in FSX. The times are out 1 hour. The picture below is London. As you can see the local and GMT times should be the same but they are 1 hour different.Andrew I have also included a picture of my time settings. The main clock is local Melbourne time and the smaller one id GMT time. As you can see 10 hours difference. The PC clock is good.
The times for London should not be the same. London is not GMT, London is in Summer time which is UTC+1, which is exactly what is shown. Pick UTC instead of London for your second clock and you will see the expected results.

As it happens........FSX tends to get local time wrong in various locations in the northern hemisphere as well, Middle East, India, and certain Far Eastern locations. It's a known problem.

I am currently in the U.K and i'm not currently in BST i fly a quick hop to Dublin the same time zone,heading 270ish,land create new flight heading 090 back to Blighty,but the clock thinks Dublin should be 1 hr ahead!!!!!!!!!!I,m now on runwway at east mids,England and the clock reads E'G.12.00local,13.00 gmt,they should clearly be the same....is there a solution to this or what,i,ve tried everything to correct this issue as my in game clock is now messed up.System clock is fine,Fsx Clock messed up major,can someone build me a Tardis or a plane with a engine capable of 186,000Miles per second please.Advice please considering reinstall......

fsx can be messed up a bit. try forcing it into winter or summer time by forcing winter or summer season, it might have summer/winter timechange messed up.

Make sure your fsx lattitude and longitude are set correctly.

FSX/Settings/General/international..

Ray Ellis

PMDG_T7_sig.jpg

Ray Ellis       YSSY

Real aircraft clocks won't automatically keep track of local time or daylight saving time so why expect FSX to get it right? Fly to UTC and forget about local time.

I suspect that FSX assumes daylight saving time changes according to the US schedule. The USA changes to summer time earlier than Europe. After this weekend some local times may come back in sync again.

ki9cAAb.jpg

FSX has no inherent DST.  You must add scenery files that specify the start day of year, start day of week, end day of year, end day of week, and offset in minutes.  Default FSX has a single file, timezone.bgl which sets more accurate timezone boundaries, and DST for US and western Europe only.  That file will switch to DST in Europe on 28 Mar (non-leap years).  For the US it is set to 1st Sunday in April (range 1 - 6 April).

scott s.