Sign in to follow this  
Guest wycliffe1

Concorde G-BOAG visits Manchester

I've just had the most fantastic day at a very cold and windy Manchester airport witnessing the arrival and departure of British Airways G-BOAG Concorde.The airport's Aviation Viewing Park was packed with around 10,000 people eager to see the arrival of the world's most famous passenger aircraft. The weather was not kind with a cold easterly wind and temps around 7C (45F). However, it takes more than that to deter us Brits and we weren't to be disappointed.Concorde arrived a little later than expected around 12 noon and from my position in the Viewing Park I got a great view of her as she touched down on 06L. After turning off the runway she taxiied back to a parking position about 100 yards in front of the Park much to the delight of the crowd from where the passengers and crew disembarked. She stayed there for about 2 hours allowing everyone to get some great pictures of this wonderful aircraft.At 4.15pm she pushed back from stand 45, Terminal 3 and taxiied along taxiway Alpha stopping opposite the Park at Alpha 4. The first officer waved to the crowd who waved back in their thousands. The captain then briefly lowered the nose to the full down position in salute to the crowd before continuing to the holding point of Runway 06L. As she lined up to take-off I noticed all other taxiing aircraft had stopped, presumably as the crews wanted to witness Concorde's departure.At 4.30pm the captain pushed the throttles full forward and the now familiar roar soon reached our ears. G-BOAG reached Vr just as she passed us and a few seconds later was airborne with the afterburners clearly visible in the gloomy conditions. Take-offs to the east are rare and Concorde needed to get high quickly. The climb rate was hugely impressive and she reached around 5,000ft in less than a minute leaving a large part of south Manchester in no doubt as to her presence.A hugely enjoyable day despite the inclement weather and my thanks to Manchester Airport and all at the Aviation Viewing Park for putting on such a great day. The airport is short-listed to receive G-BOAC for permanent exhibition which would be a huge boost for the area. Fingers remain firly crossed!Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest AndrewW

Ray, An excellent write up of the event. The Captain flying the departure today always likes to do a sporty one. :)They planned the departure time to arrive at London Heathrow the same time as the BA002 from NY. BA9021C was then vectored for runway 09L, and BA002 took 09R. Both aircraft then flew a 12 mile parallel approach into Heathrow, which was quite breathe taking. I hope you get a chance to see Alpha Charlie land at Manchester at the end of the month. Best Regards,Andy[/font size]

Hi Andy,Thanks! :-) It was certainly a 'sporty' departure - I imagine the passengers also enjoyed it. It must have been great seeing both approach EGLL like that. You wouldn't know which way to look! :9 I understand from those who were tuned in on the EGCC tower frequency the captain was quite moved with the reception. That was nice of him. I have every faith in the crowds around Heathrow tomorrow to give the three aircraft a suitable reception.I'll post some news about G-BOAC when and if I hear it.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,Just to let you know G-BOAC was in fine form on Monday when she visited Birmingham.I was listening on approach frequency as she arrived, and the controller asked the crew how they wanted to play it - would they like to overfly first? They readily agreed and were instructed to overfly the airport at 2500 ft, before being vectored west over the city and then downwind for a landing on 33. She then taxied all the way round the airport past quite a few airside spectators, and between 8-10000 of us standing in the 11 knot northerly wind in the viewing area. It was a magnificent experience (but bitterly cold!).I wasn't able to stay for the takeoff, but I was listening to tower as she was given clearance, and although I live about 4 miles from the airport I swear I could hear the roar of those 4 Olympus engines from home.Ian( Edit: east changed to west - bearings are so much easier :-) )

Ian Box

Fantastic write up of the event!I'm going to see her one last time tomorrow.. Last departure from JFK ever:(Jacek

And i will be in London for this event !....MAAAAN i will miss that bird uhuuu :(...CheersStian

Hi Ian,You know, I get the feeling the crews are also very sad about Concorde's demise and are doing all they can to make this week a memorable one for both the crews and the thousands of loyal fans who are really sad that this aircraft is being withdrawn from service.The cold was a real pain this week but I guarantee you will remember the sights long after you have forgotten how cold you were! Pity you couldn't see the departure. You can almost hear the crew saying to the men in grey suits as they spool up the throttles and turn on the reheat - "kop that you tight gits"! :-lolCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Jacek,Thanks very much :-) BA001 is currently enroute to JFK due in at 23:16 GMT (18:16 EDT). Enjoy tomorrow - it should be a spectacular send-off.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest wycliffe1

Hi All Well thats it I wont see Speedbird flying over my city again. Every Sunday morning at about 11am Speedbird would streak across the sky on her way to NewYork.So with all the memories of the last 30 years of Concorde ringing in my ears I drove the 10 miles or so from my office to Cardiff Airport to hopefully see the most beautiful aircraft in the world shuffle off the constraints of gravity and leap into the skies over Wales.I wasn't dissapointed like many of you this week who have suffered cold weaher, the temprature at Cardiff airport seemed to drop by about 20 degrees as opposed to the city. Well thats what it felt like to me in my hat, gloves, scarf and heavy coat. Several thousand people had managed to get themselves crammed into the park and viewing area to see the beauty and luckily I was able to get close enough to The BA Maintenence hanger to get some excellent video and digi images.I could never figure out how that spindly looking undercarriage could hold up such a plane but of course they aren't that spindly.And so I along with many others waited in anticipation for her to get moving, when the engines where fired up it was like being next to a Tornado on full afterburner at RAF St Asaph.Finally off she went down the runway and leapt to the skies in her full glory, I tell you it wasn't just me that had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. I bet everyone there did aswell. What a moment one that will rank alongside meeting Nelson Mandela here in Cardiff a few years back.Wycliffe