Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

Flight and FSX Comparison Screenshots

Very funny, but maybe you forgot how many years it took before people started using FSX over FS2004.In fact, people are still moaning at PMDG to release FS2004 addons. (7-8 years after its release)
...how many years it took before SOME people started using FSX over FS2004. I, like many other people, had completely switched over to FSX within a month or two of its release, despite the fact that it took a while for pure FSX addons to be created for it. In my mind, the immersion I felt with FSX was that much better than FS9 I had no desire to go back.

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Just want to tune in and praise the OP for his efforts in this thread.What I've noticed so far while studying MS's "webisodes" is...

• Textures improvements are very apparent on steep slopes. This is one of the few aspects where FSX didn't improve much over FS2004.
  • Colorization is vastly improved. Haze and contrast, both in terrain and clouds, looks much more realistic in Flight!
  • Lighting also seems much more realistic. I noticed in "webisode #3" that the terrain now cast shadows on the airplane as it flies through that narrow valley.
  • Clouds are greatly improved. At least at a distance. Would be nice if they finally made them truly volumetric in Flight.
  • Terrain classes (or whatever its equivalent in Flight may be) is improved. This become evident when you see all those little water streams and waterfalls.

Microsoft Game studios underline that they are in early development and I believe we will see general texture improvements and, hopefully, improved auto gen too. Textures in the movies and screen shots so far published isn't really on par with other improvements and mostly looks like having been recycled from FSX. Also, there is very little auto gen buildings. I suspect development for these things has not yet begun.

But who uses the default FSX?
New users who are feeling their way into this flying lark perhaps? Those who have limited finances? Some of us even use the default planes.OT: I find it amusing to read those posts where they insist that Flight has to run on their existing computer, even the one they bought for FS9, but they go on about all the add-ons they're using.

Give people power to really test their personality.

Flight will use REX but not the same REX you are using in FSX, you'll have to buy a new one (in the marketplace store), can you use REX FS9 with FSX or can you use REX FSX with FS9.... so why do you think you'll be able to use your REX FSX with Flight......put yourself in the REX owner's shoes...what will you do..you already have REX for FSX right so what's the problem? Now if you want to play with Flight ....well.....by the only REX compatible with Flight when available.How does it goes..."You "wanna" play you pay"......
It's too early to say if REX using its current methods will be suitable for Flight i.e. will they transition REX Flight, or start from scratch or not bother at all? Microsoft the developer reserve the right to change the way something is created - whats seen in these screenshots might not be whats in the final version. What happens if the weather was render using a particle system which didn't use any images... A bit far fetch but it demonstrates the point that maybe some products could carry over and maybe some others will not.Further more with the break to a new franchise who is to say any FSX product will not be obsolete. I'm sure a system can be put in place to upgrade to Flight's way of thinking for some products, however it remains to be seen if this will be commercially viable for a lot of products currently in use by FSX (let alone older versions). I can see a lot of pain in the area and the transition of some older products may not be as forthcoming as in past versions.For weather, my belief is that Microsoft have yet to show their hand as they would have shown us more weather focused images. Certainly by the way mist in rendered in the PC Pilot shots, I think we can expect a big improvement in this area...Cheers,Dave.

Personally I think the best we can hope for is a much greater weather engine with improved cloud rendering that does make FSX add-ons such as REX unusable in the new sim. I'm sure developers will be able to improve over the default weather just as they have with FSX but I don't want to see these horrible 2D spinning poly clouds we have now.I had a chance to play Birds of Prey recently and the clouds and atmosphere are really well done, while still not being overly complex. Will be great to see what the Flight devs can come up with.

Birds of Prey
For some reason I can't edit my posts :( I meant "Wings of Prey" Doh! Another thing this game does well is fade in ground objects and literally hundreds of them, I don't see any improvements in these areas so far from the screenshots of Flight we have been given but with development in early stages I take them with a grain of salt.

For some reason I can't edit my posts :( I meant "Wings of Prey" Doh! Another thing this game does well is fade in ground objects and literally hundreds of them, I don't see any improvements in these areas so far from the screenshots of Flight we have been given but with development in early stages I take them with a grain of salt.
FYI! You can only edit posts in the first hour, after that it's set in stone!!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hughes,I bet you $100 you can't find the first pic in Marchs sreenshot presentation. Nail%20Biting.gif Marc

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that won't happen. Not sure I will even do a set of comparisons for these shots, as there is no native FSX Stearman, unless I use the FS2004 one...

Brandon Filer

Thanks for doing the comparison between FSX and FLIGHT, I'm getting tired of people saying It looks the same as FSX tongue.gifI'm not so sure about the reflecting water that is running down the sloped terrain, It just doesn't look... right. Thats my opinion anyway, but I'm pleased so far, its early in development and its already looking AMAZING rolleyes.gifI'm starting to get really excited for FLIGHT biggrin.gif

is it possible to keep this topic for comparing the fsx and flight screenshot.There's an update with the may screens and I think would be good making the comparison also with the last ones

Edoardo Paulicelli

fsxnz1yr0.jpg

My fsx runs on: CPU:Corei7950@4.1Ghz (196*21) Mobo:Asus P6tDeluxeV2 RAM:Corsair 12Gb Video:Nvidia 580 GTX HDD:2 WD 130Gb + 1 Seagate barracuda 500Gb

I have all the comparisons done for May, except for shot 2. Still can't find the location it was taken at.

Brandon Filer

Don't keep them to yourself then :( Jamie ♥
Will post what I have. Big%20Grin.gif

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.