Sign in to follow this  
FlyingWild

My Two Cents

Thanks Frankla,I am new, but there seems to be a lot of sensitive, or childish members on this thread. Why was everyone so down my throat? Is Microsoft Flight a touchy issue? Other than #1, or #2, I stand by my prediction. Either way, I still love FSX and hope FS-11 is in all our futures.Thanks again,WIld.
What do you think?
You asked what we thought and we told you. It's usually a good idea to have some understanding of the subject before posting.

LOL! @MGH, and how do you know you are right? Because what Microsoft posted in their FAQ? Do you believe everything Microsoft tells you?You probably believe Windows is bug fee too. LOL!THANKS FOR MAKING ME LAUGH THIS MORNING @MGH.

You asked what we thought and we told you. It's usually a good idea to have some understanding of the subject before posting.

If this is just FS-11, why did they fire the Aces Studio?
Honestly, the reasons have been discussed (and cussed) for nearly two years now. The forum search is a wonderful tool to use.My private opinion though? Microsoft is like a woman: she has the absolute right to change her mind at any time, for any or no reason whatever! It comes as default behavior with the twin, forward-looking radar housings! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

LOL! I certainly agree with that.

Honestly, the reasons have been discussed (and cussed) for nearly two years now. The forum search is a wonderful tool to use.My private opinion though? Microsoft is like a woman: she has the absolute right to change her mind at any time, for any or no reason whatever! It comes as default behavior with the twin, forward-looking radar housings! :(

Your humor is really special, but I like him^^

1. It will use the Unreal 3 engine.2. It will be ported to XBox, the ground detail will be stunning, as in any modern FPS, but it won't contain the world, just 1 or two states of very high detail.3. Additional scenery will be in the XBox Live Marketplace.4. It will be simple, it will not be compatible with FSX, and it will be more a game than a simulator.5.Microsoft will not allow third-party developers.
Hi FlyingWild,I think you have some interesting ideas. Some likely, some not so likely. I like the perception of the way Microsoft can and do behave in the commercial world and you do infact know a bit about Microsoft ambitions with some other projects. You may or may not realise that the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise bucks the trend of todays instant action games in providing a landscape to create, play and develop ones interest in the simulation of flight. The inverably means that this dedicated audiance has a great understanding of flight simulation many of which can add real flying experiance as well, but it's a tough sell for a newbie.Ironically as Microsoft appears to add elements to make the experiance more focused for new players, it appears other developers are now choosing to embrace the sandbox philosophy, although all of these so called sandbox games usually build in a strong campaign to hold a game together. Going back to your suggestions, ok Unreal is unreal and not going to happen, Microsoft are probably evolving, updating and replacing the original 25 years of development on the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise, we already know Microsoft respect this base and are unlikely to start again. People may scoff at porting to Xbox, but how many of you would have though X-Plane would run on a Palm OS! oh its all gone quiet lol... wait a minute I've got cotton buds stuck in my ears... seriously stanger things have happened, but this one won't.The use of the Xbox Marketplace, well now it does get interesting. It really depends on what Microsoft have in store (pun intended) with regards to the work on the gaming side of Flight. I can see some genuine interest in taking up expansion packs for missions, planes and scenery. Microsoft have played with this before, offering Pro and Standard versions of FS and providing the FSX Acceleration Pack, is it too much to think they could do the same again...I think saying it will be simple is a total misconception of the idea of dropping Simulator from the title. Microsoft have already burried this one. As much as they will add more gaming aspect to Flight to aid a new audiance, the Simulation aspects will at the very least remain the same. I also can't believe there will not be some compatibility with FSX either, but as wiser people than me has already stated, if Microsoft remain commited to supporting third party developers, they will find a way of porting some of the more established titles and we have no reason not to think this wouldn't be the case, wow too many double negatives, hope I didn't make any sense for none of you lol!Happy flying.Cheers,Dave.

My private opinion though? Microsoft is like a woman: she has the absolute right to change her mind at any time, for any or no reason whatever! It comes as default behavior with the twin, forward-looking radar housings! :(
The experiance of a married man hey Bill? respect to you sir, and you may have solved my problem with women too, i'm too small, i need to put on more weight then maybe the twin forward looking radar housings might actually target ME for once.... Big%20Grin.gif Cheers,Dave.

I am new, but there seems to be a lot of sensitive, or childish members on this thread.
You've walked into a minefield - a long-standing and well-trod topic. Many probably expect that you'd search through the discussions first.Nobody fully knows why Microsoft: dropped ACES; rehired many of the ACES people; dropped the Simulator part of the title (I tend to ignore the marketing speak behind their published explanation; etc.Those that know aren't telling and those that are telling don't (fully) know.So, welcome to the AVSIM forums. Sit back and enjoy the ride as we travel down the winding road to release. All manner of hysteria, conspiracy theory, and pandemonium will ensue along the way. Then, you'll get 3+ years of "flight sucks, I'm staying with FSX until you pry it from my cold, dead hands." Then, if we're lucky, we'll get Flight II and the whole debacle will cycle.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Thanks for the history ahuimanu, the responses make more sense now.What I don't think the so called "Microsoft Flight Experts" take into account is Microsoft doesn't always do things logically. What you laugh as being impossible, might be more possible when you realize how Microsoft works.First, XBox is making them a load of money. They finally got it right with the 360 and everything they see from an entertainment perspective is seen wearing XBox glasses. Do you think they dropped the Simulator from Microsoft flight because they were building a next-gen simulator?Do you think they are Using XBox/Windows Live so developers will have a better way to reach their audience?Do you think they fired most of Aces studio so they could work on making the existing code better?Do you think they stopped production on Microsoft Train Simulator 2 because they want to expand their simulator software?If so, I have a bridge to sell you in New York. :-)Trust me, I want Microsoft Flight to be Flight Simulator 11. I just don't want to get my hopes high yet. I don't think simulator means the same thing to Microsoft as it does to people in this forum.Wild

The experiance of a married man hey Bill? respect to you sir, and you may have solved my problem with women too, i'm too small, i need to put on more weight then maybe the twin forward looking radar housings might actually target ME for once.... Big%20Grin.gif Cheers,Dave.
No, actually as I've never been married. This was a line from one of my favorite Military Sci-Fi authors (David Weber), suitably "sanitized" for public sensitivities, and made more relevant for an aircraft theme... :(

Fr. Bill    

Do you think they fired most of Aces studio so they could work on making the existing code better?
The simple answer to that question is yes.The reason their decisions seem illogical from the outside is we don’t have access to the facts.And keep in mind most of the staff only have access to a limited picture as well. You can assume their course was logical - whether it pays off remains to be seen :)So far indications are good.If you look at the information we do have, the closing of ACES was just a structural change. (my opinion)The project and the people - by and large - were ‘moved’ and a branch studio was closed.Without understanding the particulars consolidation might seem illogical...but there are genuine benefits for the staff and project. :( If you don't agree, I have some Florida swamp land to sell you :)

The simple answer to that question is yes.The reason their decisions seem illogical from the outside is we don’t have access to the facts.And keep in mind most of the staff only have access to a limited picture as well. You can assume their course was logical - whether it pays off remains to be seen :)So far indications are good.If you look at the information we do have, the closing of ACES was just a structural change.The project and the people - by and large - were ‘moved’ and a branch studio was closed.Without understanding the particulars consolidation might seem illogical...but there are genuine benefits for the staff and project.If you like I have some Florida swamp land to sell you :)
That restructuring makes sense. It´s allways better to work with a small but high qualified team than houndereds of not so skilled people working on it and don´t know how far the others are and what the others are doing.BTW: How much will you swamp land cost? ;-)

BTW: How much will you swamp land cost? ;-)
Gee...I don’t know, I kind of had my heart set on trading it for Wild’s bridge.

The simple answer to that question is yes.The reason their decisions seem illogical from the outside is we don’t have access to the facts.And keep in mind most of the staff only have access to a limited picture as well. You can assume their course was logical - whether it pays off remains to be seen :)So far indications are good.If you look at the information we do have, the closing of ACES was just a structural change. (my opinion)The project and the people - by and large - were ‘moved’ and a branch studio was closed.Without understanding the particulars consolidation might seem illogical...but there are genuine benefits for the staff and project. :( If you don't agree, I have some Florida swamp land to sell you :)
Closer to Microsoft's games studio actually, and Microsoft doesn't do structural changes. If they really were, they would have kept the team and just forced them to move. I don't think you understand Microsoft so well. If you listen to any of their financial calls, they are really into XBox. Actually it is only one of a few things at Microsoft that is doing well. LOL!Seriously guys, if this was anyone else other than Microsoft, you would all be 100% correct. I wouldn't argue a thing. Sadly, this is Microsoft.P.S. Bridges are worth more than real estate these days, but if you add an airport to your swamp I might reconsider. ;-)Wild

Nobody fully knows why Microsoft: dropped ACES; rehired many of the ACES people;
That's not quite true. There are a few individuals who are very much aware of the meltdown in relations between MSGS and ACES. Essentially it comes down to diametrically opposed differences in "The Big Picture." MSGS wanted FS development to move to the Live Platform; ACES senior management did not... :mellow:None of those rehired came from the former senior management. They rehired the "grunts" who actually did the work. :(

Fr. Bill    

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.