Sign in to follow this  
bliksimpie

Realair Turbine Duke Startup

You HAVE to read the manual.. especially start-up procedures... If you going to try and start it as other default turbo's you in for a huge surprise..Please read the start instructions. if you follow the start instructions as per manual she is a little kitten that purr into life... but beware if you dont.. dont cry if your duke behave badly and out of control..!You have been warnedI have the setting selected to left and right click setting. To move only left or right condition lever right click and move individual lever. TO move both together left click on condition levers and move up down (I struggled a bit to get only left an right to move, but then again I did not read the manual first time around)

Yeah, it´s a bit more complicated as the piston one. I´m just downloading the Duke and reading the maual in the meanwhile.

Yeah, it´s a bit more complicated as the piston one. I´m just downloading the Duke and reading the maual in the meanwhile.
Apparently. I'm currently 'hoping' to make a GPS nearest airport after shutting down the right engine due to high oil temp. I was careful to ensure the critical numbers were not exceeded on takeoff and climb, so I'm not sure if this is one the 'unprovoked' failures or I need to be more careful. :) There was a low frequency rumble I believe after engine start, however, since that was my first start, I did not know that was a bad thing. LOL. How much is an engine? I took off from Darrington and my first thought was a line from the movie 'Independence Day' when Will Smith took the first flight in the alien space craft from area 51. The line was 'I have got to get me one of these!'. I did. :) I was airborne half way down 1S2's runway. Fun!Bob.. :) Edit: After second review of the pilot flying guide it appears there was a 'slight' chance of pilot induced error. :) I did execute a low speed high rate climb with the engine oil coolers doors closed which can result (and did) in high oil temps. Cool.

I have also my first hour of flight with the Turbine Duke behind me and I can only say :WOW. I thought that the piston Duke is hard to top, but they did it. The only tricy thing I found is taxiing on ground. I have allways too much or too less power enabled, so I´m getting faster and slower and don´t roll in an constant speed. But this something to practice.Otherways a true beatuy.

The only tricy thing I found is taxiing on ground. I have allways too much or too less power enabled, so I´m getting faster and slower and don´t roll in an constant speed. But this something to practice.Otherways a true beatuy.
Try taxiing with idle thrust levels but high idle on the condition levers, gently tap brakes to keep the speed lower... Been working fine for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On a turboprop you generally won't touch the brakes during taxi. Use beta range to control speed.

Ok, are the condition levers at low idle then?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The startup instructions refer to the "fuel tank levers" - where are they? I see fuel pump switches but no fuel tank levers and a search of the manual came up short.ThanksBruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The startup instructions refer to the "fuel tank levers" - where are they? I see fuel pump switches but no fuel tank levers and a search of the manual came up short.ThanksBruceb
OK scratch that found them! Gee the absence 2D popups is starting to annoy me - the RealAir camera views are all screwed up in my Duke install - see other thread.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

OK scratch that found them! Gee the absence 2D popups is starting to annoy me - the RealAir camera views are all screwed up in my Duke install - see other thread.Bruceb

Could you enlighten me as to the answer please as I'm struggling to find them.