Sign in to follow this  
Yoda967

Flight Director During Takeoff

One of the things I enjoy most about flying the NGX is the takeoff run, which is full of little details that increase the immersion.Now, it's been a while since I've routinely flown a Boeing-style add-on, but I'm used to the Flight Director guidance bars becoming visible immediately after I select the FD switch to ON. Sometimes, selecting one FD switch also flips the other, as though they're ganged together somehow behind the MCP front panel. Not so on the NGX. You have to select both yourself...because you can't select TO/GA unless both Flight Directors are on.But let's back up a minute. Here's what the PFD looks like when you select the FD switches on the ramp.Where are the guidance bars? You'll see.Here we are, lined up on the runway, about to press TO/GA. Notice I've selected LNAV as my departure roll mode.And then, I press one of the TO/GA switches. The PFD now shows N1 for the throttle mode, LNAV armed, and TO/GA is shown as the pitch mode. And, there are my guidance bars. The pitch bar is at 10o down because we're rolling at less than 60 KIAS.Now, here we are at 67 KIAS, and the pitch guidance bar is coming up to 15o up. When we rotate, that's our target pitch.Passing 84 KIAS, and the Autothrottle engages THR HOLD mode.Now, we're set for takeoff. We'll pitch to 15o initially, then the pitch guidance bar will tell us where to pitch to maintain the MCP speed+20. We want that to be V2+20 until the acceleration height...which is why we enter the V2 speed on the MCP during preflight preps.Exactly the way the FCOM2 says it should!

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

There are going to be so many difference from what we got used to from other Boeing addons, I think I'll probably read the whole manual before I fly it on a daily basis. This is what I've been waiting for years, can't wait.

Alexis Mefano

Good to see the other NG addon is simulating this properly also. Looking forward to the release of this NGX so I can both in my "stable".Sean Green

Sean Green

One of the things I enjoy most about flying the NGX is the takeoff run, which is full of little details that increase the immersion.Now, it's been a while since I've routinely flown a Boeing-style add-on, but I'm used to the Flight Director guidance bars becoming visible immediately after I select the FD switch to ON. Sometimes, selecting one FD switch also flips the other, as though they're ganged together somehow behind the MCP front panel. Not so on the NGX. You have to select both yourself...because you can't select TO/GA unless both Flight Directors are on.But let's back up a minute. Here's what the PFD looks like when you select the FD switches on the ramp.Where are the guidance bars? You'll see.Here we are, lined up on the runway, about to press TO/GA. Notice I've selected LNAV as my departure roll mode.And then, I press one of the TO/GA switches. The PFD now shows N1 for the throttle mode, LNAV armed, and TO/GA is shown as the pitch mode. And, there are my guidance bars. The pitch bar is at 10o down because we're rolling at less than 60 KIAS.Now, here we are at 67 KIAS, and the pitch guidance bar is coming up to 15o up. When we rotate, that's our target pitch.Passing 84 KIAS, and the Autothrottle engages THR HOLD mode.Now, we're set for takeoff. We'll pitch to 15o initially, then the pitch guidance bar will tell us where to pitch to maintain the MCP speed+20. We want that to be V2+20 until the acceleration height...which is why we enter the V2 speed on the MCP during preflight preps.Exactly the way the FCOM2 says it should!
Thanks for the great photos Kurt. Just curious, were you able to test the FD bar pop up feature above 80 Kts on Take off? If yes, could you post some photos of that as well if possible ?Cheers and happy testing Dinshaw Parakh

Is V2+20 a standard procedure that the aircraft follows automatically or it's up to the pilot to adjust the speed?

Is it standard procedure to hit the TO/GA button before take off on these A/C?
On the 737, you push the throttles to 40% N1 and then if everything's stable, you push the TO/GA switch.

That's great, thanks for sharing that! =)

Is V2+20 a standard procedure that the aircraft follows automatically or it's up to the pilot to adjust the speed?
George,The proper takeoff technique calls for an initial climb speed of V2 +15 to 25 knots. The pilot enters V2 into the MCP during preflight, and the AFCS makes pitch recommendations to maintain MCP speed +20 KIAS until reaching the acceleration altitude. At that point, pitch is set to allow the NGX to accelerate to climb speed, as modified by any restrictions (250 KIAS below 10000 feet, for example).

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

If there is no active lateral guidance (lateral guidance blank, LNAV armed), what is the active mode? Wings level, heading, or track* at the moment of TOGA?* Some procedures are "maintain runway heading" (drift with wind), others are to maintain a track until at a certain distance/altitude for example. What does the FD command? If it was nothing, I'd expect the lateral guidance FD bar to be hidden.When does LNAV become active in this mode? 400 ft RA?Intriguing to say the least... :( Best regards,Robin.

If there is no active lateral guidance (lateral guidance blank, LNAV armed), what is the active mode? Wings level, heading, or track* at the moment of TOGA?* Some procedures are "maintain runway heading" (drift with wind), others are to maintain a track until at a certain distance/altitude for example. What does the FD command? If it was nothing, I'd expect the lateral guidance FD bar to be hidden.When does LNAV become active? 400 ft RA?Best regards,Robin.
Either wing leveler or heading select. Depends on the option installed. BTW It can't track tracks (no pun intended), at least not on heading select, unlike the Buses where you have the choice between HDG and TRK (and V/S and FPA vertically). LNAV however will maintain tracks, obviously.When does LNAV become active? I'd assume at 400 as you said when it's been armed before, because you'd usually select your desired roll mode around that altitude if you had nothing armed. Just a rough guess though.sig.gif

If there is no active lateral guidance (lateral guidance blank, LNAV armed), what is the active mode? Wings level, heading, or track* at the moment of TOGA?
Robin,The NGX has the option to either follow wings level or heading.I think LNAV is kicking in at 400 ft (which is minimum altitude for AP engagement) but might be mistaken. That is if all criteria are fulfilled for LNAV engagement.Cheers,