Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Concerned about "hot-fixes"

- its pretty simple. I dont get why you all have to make it complicated. If your Plane works, DONT fix it. If your plane isnt working then install hot fix. Isnt that the point of a hot FIX?

Peter Osborn

Wrong! I didn't say anything along the lines of "screw those who can't get their NGX to work". I said that it would be better for a well-tested update/service pack to be released than to strongly advise EVERYONE to install barely tested hot-fixes, regardless of whether they are having problems or not. Read my message from start to finish before attempting to alter what I said.
I'm not having any problems with the Hotfixes. I remove all my liveries before I install them and just put my liveries back in afterward and they work fine.I've been flying the NGX without a problem at all. I don't see where you can think the Hotfixes are causing problems. You need to check for problems within your computer or FSX setup.

Guest FSMP

The Hotfixes are the TESTS to make sure that the fixes that will go into SP1 work. With the HOTFIXES, PMDG gets 1000's of pilots testing the proposed fixes to go into SP1, and thereby a high probability that the remaining issues will be found quickly, and few will be missed. Without HOTFIXES, there are only a limited number of overworked BETA Testers, who will propably miss many of the issues, or delay the release of SP1 for a very long time. The quickest way to a Stable SP1 is clearly the path that PMDG has chosen. Have customers test the product on an extensive range of machine types, and quicky find and correct the majority of the issues, for a timely SP1 release. Of course, nobody HAS to test HOTFIXES if they do not want to, but I say, I BIG THANKS to all those who do. Geoff

- its pretty simple. I dont get why you all have to make it complicated. If your Plane works, DONT fix it. If your plane isnt working then install hot fix.Isnt that the point of a hot FIX?
Exactly

Exactly
Well, it depends... it's not because you haven't had a freeze yet that you won't have one in the future (i think).It's not just about correcting problems, it may be about preventing problems too... but yes, sadly, the last hotfix seems to mess a few things up.

I have found that just staying in the VC during the course of a flight, without switching to outside views, makes for a trouble free flight 99% of the time. Also, all my freeze/fatal errors were around "big cities" IE. KORD, CYVR and CYYC. And all were during dusk, just as the sun was setting.
and it provides a more realistic simulation of a flight as well so that is a win win situation!

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Personally, I have not and will not be installing any hot-fixes as my NGX has been working fine right from the moment I installed it. I am going to wait for a service pack or update that has been thoroughly tested.
That's the way I have been thinking too. I never had problems with the NGX since day one so, apparently, there were nothing to be fixed for me, but yesterday I said WTH and installed the lastest hotfix. Despite the problems others have been reporting, I have none at all and still got a performance improvement. It's working fine so far. But I understand your concerns, since I had them too.

Matheus Mafra

The Hotfixes are the TESTS to make sure that the fixes that will go into SP1 work. With the HOTFIXES, PMDG gets 1000's of pilots testing the proposed fixes to go into SP1, and thereby a high probability that the remaining issues will be found quickly, and few will be missed. Without HOTFIXES, there are only a limited number of overworked BETA Testers, who will propably miss many of the issues, or delay the release of SP1 for a very long time. The quickest way to a Stable SP1 is clearly the path that PMDG has chosen. Have customers test the product on an extensive range of machine types, and quicky find and correct the majority of the issues, for a timely SP1 release. Of course, nobody HAS to test HOTFIXES if they do not want to, but I say, I BIG THANKS to all those who do. Geoff
Yes i do agree with you Geoff, But i do believe that there are so many people with problems to test these fixes. For Pmdg to say mandatory for everyone is a little bit much to expect people who are not having problems, test a fix to see if it will cause problems on a product that is working perfectly. Yes i know there is the arguement, "oh just uninstall and go back to where you were, it isn't a problem"Well for me, no thanks and if people call me selfish, i go back to what i said before. There are so many people (to whom i a not unsimperthetic) having problems, why ask people to add themselves to the list?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

WOW! A little testy in here, especially coming from people that are not having any problems and have not even installed any hotfixes at all. All I can say is be happy that your among the lucky group not to have experienced any issues. Nobody is forcing you to download anything. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak. However not everyone is as blessed and a member of the I have no problems Club. For those that are having issues the hotfixes are a blessing for most. With all the different computer configurations, there is bound to be some that will still continue to have issues. The Development Team is doing their best at the moment to resolve the issues as they come up. If the hotfixes bother you so much, mabe you could be a good samaritan and charitable fellow and donate your Rig to somebody that is having issues. Rolling%20Eyes.gifWhistle.gif

Guest Lawyer+Pilot
...could we see a freeze on hot-fixes...?
Where are we? Back in the USSR? If people are skeptical of the hot fixes, they can simply choose not to use them. That's exactly what I did. I installed the plane the morning after release and have had no issues. When the hot fixes came out, I ignored them. Why? Because a "hot" fix is just that, a HOT fix. They are designed as quick (minimally tested) solutions to problems and are intended to hold people over until a properly tested service pack can be released. They are commonly hit or miss. I would be more offended by PMDG's efforts if they called the hot fixes "Perfect Solution #1, Perfect Solution #2, etc. A freeze? Trevor

They cant just stop releasing the hotfixes, especially when there are customers out there unable to activate.

WOW! A little testy in here, especially coming from people that are not having any problems and have not even installed any hotfixes at all. All I can say is be happy that your among the lucky group not to have experienced any issues. Nobody is forcing you to download anything. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak. However not everyone is as blessed and a member of the I have no problems Club. For those that are having issues the hotfixes are a blessing for most. With all the different computer configurations, there is bound to be some that will still continue to have issues. The Development Team is doing their best at the moment to resolve the issues as they come up. If the hotfixes bother you so much, mabe you could be a good samaritan and charitable fellow and donate your Rig to somebody that is having issues. Rolling%20Eyes.gifWhistle.gif
If this is in reference to my post, i think you are missing my point. I absolutely agree that the team is doing thier best. I don't believe i ever implied otherwise and i also did not imply that the hotfixes bother me. I was refering to the statement that this hotfix should be considered mandatory. What possible input can a person have if he doesn't have a problem to fix in the first place, unless he is supposed to see if the hotfix is going to cause a problem so that he can report that.Would you?Finally, yes as far as this situation is concerned, i do consider myself lucky, but please do not imply that i do not care about the problems that a lot of people are having, because that is a judgement upon the caracter of a person you know nothing about.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Actually I was referring to the original post by Matthew Bellette that started the thread in the first place. Seems pretty arrogant to me to come waltzing in here accusing and assuming that hotfixes are not needed and are more trouble than they worth. Especially when they say they are having no problems but others are stating that they are. Point blank if your not having any issues great. But don't come in here and be arrogant and say hey hotfixes are not needed and that the Dev Team is dropping the ball. If it had been me I woulda locked the post, cause its laughable.

Guest FSMP

Think of it this way :- The last HOTFIX before SPI is probably the same as SP1. If you do not try the Hotfixes, and report any issues, but just wait for SP1, you may find that SP1 does not work for you !!!Just as that last HOTFIX before SP1 would not have ... but since you did not try it, you will never know till SP1 comes out, and you will be left with running your original install, without all the improvements that have gone into SP1. Putting it another way :, If you have not helped in testing the HOTFIXES, "tough" on you iwhen you finally install SP1, you find that it does not work as you expected on your PC !!! "You can 'fix software' for all the FSX PCs some of the time, and some of the FSX PCs all the time, but you cannot "fix software" for all the FSX PCs all the time." - -- ( Appologies to Abraham Lincoln ) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" Its "LOGICAL" At the end of the day, there will always be some that cannot run a given piece of software on their unique PCs, especially with something as complex and demanding as FSX + Complex Addons .Welcome to the REAL WORLD Whistle.gif Geoff