Sign in to follow this  
Sorelimbs

RTFM

Guest Lawyer+Pilot

A good glance at the forums is an obvious place to start when you have a question. One reason people don't is because some people use worthless topic titles. The five most useless threads (not necessarily all on the NGX forum) 5) "Nothing irritates me more than..."4) "Is this a bug?"3) "Question"2) "Help!" [or, a slight variation: "Please Read!"]1) "Hmmmmm" Trevor

I haven't felt very good about myself since the 2nd hotfix. Will this be addressed in the service pack?
Well it sounds like you need to work on your self esteem my friend :)
I haven't felt very good about myself since the 2nd hotfix. Will this be addressed in the service pack? I'm trying to decide which of these two pieces of useful help is worse: 1: RTFM 2: Just go get a faster computer.
lol Phil

I haven't felt very good about myself since the 2nd hotfix. Will this be addressed in the service pack? I'm trying to decide which of these two pieces of useful help is worse: 1: RTFM 2: Just go get a faster computer.
Lol. Seems to be the remedy to a lot of problems in here lately, though.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I think this thread is stating the obvious : On one hand : - most PMDG sims (including the NGX) are rather complex so a minimum of homework is mandatory (after all, those who fly these planes in real life must read - and master - thousands of pages of documentation).- for simple sims, it's better to stick with default planes.- there is a wealth of information available in the documentation and this forum- most simmers in this forum wouldn't dare ask a question without having searched for the answer before (out of politeness, self respect, whatever)- some (very few) simmers ask questions that a simple search would obviously have made unnessary. It can be irritating...- "I don't have the time" (to study, to do what you want me to do, etc...) is one of the most irritating answers in life. On the other hand : - this forum is full of friendly simmers always willing to help.- some questions are better answered in the forum (because the answer is not in the manual or simply because of the quality or experience of the people here)- everyone is allowed to say : maybe I could have found out by myself but i'll ask here anyway. Just don't make a habit of it please !smile.png Just a matter of balance...Best regards & happy flying to allBruno

A good glance at the forums is an obvious place to start when you have a question. One reason people don't is because some people use worthless topic titles. The five most useless threads (not necessarily all on the NGX forum) 5) "Nothing irritates me more than..."4) "Is this a bug?"3) "Question"2) "Help!" [or, a slight variation: "Please Read!"]1) "Hmmmmm"
My personal favourite for the most useless title is when someone visits a forum called "PMDG 737NGX" and posts a topic called "737 NGX". I think that can't be beat. LOL.gif

I think this thread is stating the obvious : On one hand - most PMDG sims (including the PMDG) are rather complex. Pilots who fly these planes in real life must read - and master - thousands of pages of documentation so a minimum of homework is mandatory.- For simple sims, it's better to stick with default planes.- there is a wealth of information available in the documentation and this forum- most simmers in this forum wouldn't dare ask a question without having searched for the answer before (out of politeness, self respect, whatever)- some (very few) simmers ask questions that a simple search would obviously made unnessary. It can be irritating...- "I don't have the time" (to study, to do what you want me to do, etc...) is one of the most irritating answers in life. On the other hand : - this forum is full of friendly simmers always willing to help.- some questions are better answered in the forum (because the answer is not in the manual or simply because of the quality or experience of the people here)- everyone is allowed to say : maybe I could have found out by myself but i'll ask here anyway. Just don't make a habit of it please !smile.png Just a matter of balance...Best regards & happy flying to allBruno
I really don't have the time to read the manuals. Let me rephrase that i have other prioritization in my life that demands my time and i have to get them right or my wife will leave me, my kids will resent me, i will miss out on some important family stuff or i will probably be late for work. I COULD read the manual it is scientifically possible but i aint going to because i have well.....a very busy life. I can't wait for the time when i can sit and read for an hour or so on a manual that is linked directly to hobby belive me. If that iratates you Bruno so be it. I will find time to fly though and i do check the manuals when i am stuck but i will come here for a quickly :) Phil.

For all those people who keep telling everyone else who asks a question here. Please for the love of God please stop telling everyone they should read the manual before even considering posting. I know it can be frustrating for you if someone asks an obvious question but in reality away from the internet people/human beings do not have the time to do so. I find some forums a pleasure to be around where people with the expert knowledge who are only to glad to share that expertise with others. The forum is surely a place to come and ask for advice and almost get an instant answer. That is the beauty of it. Then by default the forum itself becomes a wealth of knowledge. With a search your answer may or may not be found but at least it has been electronically documented for future use. I admire people who share there knowledge and i have a lot of respect for people who have taken the time to acquire that information. Please make this place a better forum by not judging people for there lack of knowledge. There are times when it's appropriate to say at least do the Tutorial or have a basic grasp of FSX functions etc but don't start getting on top of someone just because they didn't read anex b supplement 5 of page whatever. It's just pedantic and i am sure makes you look a bit of a tool to the majority of users here. Happy flying. Phil Brewer
...as I always say: in a forum is just like it is in Alice in Wonderland. Glad to share my knowledge with you.

Let me rephrase that i have other prioritization in my life that demands my time and i have to get them right or my wife will leave me, my kids will resent me, i will miss out on some important family stuff or i will probably be late for work.Phil.
Life can be so tough ! smile.pngTake care,Bruno

For all those people who keep telling everyone else who asks a question here. Please for the love of God please stop telling everyone they should read the manual before even considering posting. I know it can be frustrating for you if someone asks an obvious question but in reality away from the internet people/human beings do not have the time to do so. (...) Happy flying. Phil Brewer
Exactly. This is a forum, people ask questions and other people answer them, it's supposed to be like that. F-O-R-U-M. Not that hard to understand, now is it?

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

However, Sorelimbs, you need to read the PMDG forum rules. Your full name is required when posting in the PMDG forum.
I guess Sorelimbs didn't take the time to Read The Forum Manual. Just Kidding.gif

I guess Sorelimbs didn't take the time to Read The Forum Manual. Just%20Kidding.gif
However i did acknowledge my mistake and rectify in a good and timely manner unlike your humor my friend :)

Some balanced views here I think, however the two poles will never really agree. There are people who are prepared (and have the time) to invest in reading all the manuals and there are those who don't. I feel one of the problems felt by those who have read them is a sense of what one might call unfairness, as in, 'hey, I took the time to read the manual, why can't you?' I think it appeals to that sense of fairness and I can understand it on that level. The same goes for not using 'real' names in posts. Many people do, many don't. There are some in the camp of those who do that have a little hissy fit when they see someone who doesn't. Again, it's the unfairness thing, 'I played by the rules and you didn't, yet we both got the same thing.' Perhaps a little like school in that respect. I feel however that this forum (despite some flaws) is an excellent and helpful portal for those who seek to give and receive help, and the RTFM'ers should bear in mind that the newcomers will soon also be the dispensers of knowledge once they learn it. It would be as well to remember also that pedantry is rarely an attractive quality.

i don't know whether you gonna like my reply. I totally understand why somebody has not the time (does not want) to read 3000 pages of manual and therefore comes here to ask questions, even though it might be expained in the manual (btw i myself who at least skimed through all the pages during the last two years of waiting came here to ask questions abou diversion because i couldn't make sense out of what was written in th fcom...). However, is it really that hard to skim through the about 100 pages of the introduction (or even the tutorial)? I assume that about 20% of the questions asked during the first days (loading, fd, brakes, 2d clickspots,...) are answered there! IMO it even should be obligatory to have 'read' the introduction in order to be 'allowed' to fly the NGX. So I would replace 'RTFM' with 'RTFI' ;). But that's just my opinion and others might disagree and that's totally ok.regards,christopher volle

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Christoper, I do like your reply, it's OK. I think you make a very valid point. I think the tutorial is excellent and I must admit I read the Intro document cover to cover and followed the tutorial. What you say in my opinion does not really conflict with the spirit of this thread.