Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

holding off until service pack... users, thoughts on timeframe?

Why wait for the SP? The SP will also likely contain other features - hence a service pack not a Hotfix - The SP may then need Hotfixs to fix new items in the SP! My NGX is 100% stable with the latest Hotfix - Not a had a CTD - but I imagine at some point I will, not because of the NGX , but just because FSX as a habbit of doing so eventually - its a "Feature" of FSX - I think youll find a whole forum on it here on AVSIM somewhere, For those that post to say they havent or dont need the Hotfix because there sim as worked from day one - they not quite telling the truth - Although the main purpose of the Hotfixes was to sort out the issues with OOM and Freezes, they also contain a few bug fixes that everyone will have regardless of how stable their NGX is. Items such as the MINS bug from panel save states, wing flex, strobe issues etc. So my tip to you is buy it, start to learn how it all works, with the latest hotfix you wont have any issues and then when the SP comes along with even more features you will only have them to learn then! I flew into LOWI today - No Freeze or OOM in fact I have had FSX running now for nearly 2 days flown into 7 airports EGPH-EGBB-LXGB-LEPA-EGBB-LOWI-OMDB with some long layovers in between with the sim running constantly- and still no freeze or OOM - I dont think even my trusty LevelD 767 managed that many hours without a CTD.
Loser.gif

I've put about 30 hours on the NGX since release, and I have had *1* crash, and I'm reasonably certain that was due to FSinn substituting the model in several times while on final into FSDT JFK. I tweaked FSinn, and have been running beautifully since. Waiting for the SP is simply depriving yourself of this wonderful airplane for a few weeks.

Joe Sherrill

I would not hesitate at all in the purchase! This is the flagship product for PMDG. I am sure they will keep working on issues down the road and make it all right. I have 42 hours on the NGX as of an hour ago. In those 42 hours I have had 2 freezes and 1 fatal error. While flying the "other 2 offerings" I have spent more time chucking my PC out the window than I have flying them. Instead of making MS Flight, I wish they would just "fix" FSX. Orbx and companies alike are taking this sim further than anyone thought it could go. FSX still has a lot of potential and with some re-coding, could be the deffinitive flight sim for years to come. Just my oppinion!Peace.gif

Delete the ENB mod and FPS limiter from FSX when flying the NGX and watch as your CTDs vanish like a vapor in the wind!

+1 for buying it. It's usually wise advice not to get the A version of anything but this baby has been so long in the production and testing that it's already excellent. I don't have any of the hotfixes installed yet because my system is running sweetly however I think I am going to bite the bullet this weekend and get hotfix 3 installed and see what happens. Good luck whatever you decide mate.