Sign in to follow this  
777-Pilot

Tiller for homecockpit

To bring more realism in my homecockpit, I want to build a tiller myself.Up to now I steered the NGX with my rudder pedals while taxiing.I want to buy a cheap USB steering wheel and use its axis as tiller axis for my plane.I tried to assign the tiller axis, but I have not found the axis in my FSX menu or the FSUIPC menu (registered version).Have you an idea where I can assign this axis ? Regards David

I'm no expert on this, so don't quote me on this, but I think that it isn't possible to have two different axis for rudder and nosewheel steering.Unsurprisingly, this is an FSX limitation..... I'm not entirely sure though

Hi

To bring more realism in my homecockpit, I want to build a tiller myself.Up to now I steered the NGX with my rudder pedals while taxiing.I want to buy a cheap USB steering wheel and use its axis as tiller axis for my plane.I tried to assign the tiller axis, but I have not found the axis in my FSX menu or the FSUIPC menu (registered version). Have you an idea where I can assign this axis ? Regards David
I am using a SAITEK X45: 1 axis assigned to rudder, 1 axis to tiller using FSUIPC registered"Steering Tiller" can be asigned via "AXIS assignment" - "Send direct to FS" then select in dropdown field "Steering Tiller""Rudder" can be assigned via "AXIS assignment" - "Send direct to FS" then select in dropdown field "RUDDER" works fine on my rig

--

You can configure two different axis for rudder and nosewheel steering thanks to FSUIPC (perhaps payware version only). I read it from a french "FSUIPC configuration tutorial" which mentions that thanks to "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" function, you can assign an axis to the "Steering Tiller". You should look for this on Google, I'm pretty sure you will find something. Read also PMDG NGX introduction which recommend not to use FSUIPC to configure controller axis. Personally, I use FSUIPC and I have not noticed any problem...

Yvan PERO - LH450

YvanPERO.png

From the FSUIPC manual (p.42) "One additional axis of note is the Steering Tiller. Note that FSX does actually provide a Steering Axis (which, when I‘ve tested, I will be adding to the calibration possibilities in FSUIPC4). The FSX offering may well make the FSUIPC4 tiller provisions redundant, but I don‘t know yet so I have retained them—it helps provide continuity for existing users of FSUIPC3 in any case. The FSUIPC4 version still uses the FS Rudder control, but can be calibrated separately (e.g. to be more responsive—use the inverse S-shaped slope options). If the steering tiller axis is assigned, you must then calibrate it in FSUIPC4's Joysticks section (this is on the same page as the PAN controls … sorry!). You need to calibrate the rudder axis in FSUIPC4 too. Then the two are used together as follows: When on the ground and at any ground speed less than 60 knots (default—adjustable by the MaxSteerSpeed parameter in the INI file), the actual FS rudder action is controlled by a blend of the tiller and rudder axis inputs. At low speed it is predominantly tiller, and as speed increases the tiller becomes gradually less effective and the rudder input more so. Above the MaxSteerSpeed, or in the air, the tiller has no effect. As with all of the axis and joystick facilities, the calibrations, assignments and parameters such as MaxSteerSpeed, can be different for different aircraft." There's more, and also some discussion on the FSUIPC forum that may be of help to you — basically, FSUIPC allows you to get a gradual transition between tiller and rudder as you accelerate along the runway, and you can set the speed (MaxSteerSpeed) at which this happens (in fsuipc.ini, if I remember rightly). Have fun! Cheers, Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

This brings up a question about the tiller and pedals graphics in the NGX VC. I noticed the pedals and tiller move simultaniously while I manipulate my Saitek rudder pedals. Is the tiller and pedals linked like this in the real bird as well? Can you taxi with either? I wouldn't think so, but maybe someone with real-world experience can describe the combination, especially when starting the take-off roll - how does that work?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

This seems good: www.steeringme.com But I think is available only in Russia. It costs about 180 euros

Hello! Thank all of you for your great answers.You helped me a lot. I have tried to assign with FSUIPC and it worked!Now I only have to buy a steering wheel and rebuild it a bit... Cheers David

Guest MikeGroven
This brings up a question about the tiller and pedals graphics in the NGX VC. I noticed the pedals and tiller move simultaniously while I manipulate my Saitek rudder pedals. Is the tiller and pedals linked like this in the real bird as well? Can you taxi with either? I wouldn't think so, but maybe someone with real-world experience can describe the combination, especially when starting the take-off roll - how does that work?
Most modern larger transport catagory aircraft have both tiller controlled nosewheel steering and rudder pedal controlled nosewheel steering. The tiller controlled NWS allows a substantially larger deflection of the nosewheel for tighter turns during normal taxi operations. Rudder pedal steering facilitates a much shallower nosewheel deflection and is used on takeoff roll to maintain centerline until the rudder itself becomes effective at average speeds of around 80 knots. In the military jet I fly for a living, we only have rudder pedal NWS, and this has to be manually engaged before taxiing via a switch on the control stick. We keep NWS engaged during all taxi ops, and then during takeoff roll at around 70 knots IAS we manually disengage the NWS and use regular rudder control thereafter for directional steering.

The correct way to use the tiller is by stepping on the rudder all the way, which will deflect the nosewheel a little ( I think it is 9 degrees) and then use the tiller for futher deflection when required, and v.v. Regards, William Bont