Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Thinking of Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle for 737NGX

Thanks for sharing this information. I have read about 're-greasing' the Hotas Warthog, and I find that to be VERY unappealing on a device I have to pay $400 USD to purchase!!! Your comments about the wierd behavior of it returning to center is equally disturbing. I'm now more confused than ever sad.png
My intention was not to be discouraging, I just wanted to point out what are very minor annoyances at worst. I see that slight curving only when looking at the tracks using an analyzer - it only affects an area close to the center detent of the stick when you let go instead of guiding it back to center. I remember it was more pronounced when I first got the stick. I just looked at it again and it is much less strong, a non-issue really.As it has been said in this thread multiple times and I totally agree: as far as hotas systems go, this is an excellent choice - mainly because of the hall effect sensors. It really is very precise.If you get the DCS A10C, try air-to-air refueling with it, it's great fun with the Warthog hotas.

why not get a yoke? Why a stick?
Dunno about anybody else, Dave, but I just don't have room for a bulky yoke unit in my small 'pit. I did in fact buy a yoke, but after a few frustrating attempts to work around it, it now stays in the cupboard, awaiting the day when I can afford a bigger space.Like many things in the life of most simmers, there have to be compromises — the art of the possible..... cool.png Cheers,Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

TM Hotas Warthog : "The only way to go but expensive !"Less expensive and good enough without rudder pedals (SIMPED-F16 /C excellent, but really expensive !!) : the TM Hotas Cougar.Mine is working fine since 2007 (180 euros including VAT)

Dunno about anybody else, Dave, but I just don't have room for a bulky yoke unit in my small 'pit. I did in fact buy a yoke, but after a few frustrating attempts to work around it, it now stays in the cupboard, awaiting the day when I can afford a bigger space.Like many things in the life of most simmers, there have to be compromises — the art of the possible..... cool.pngCheers,Brian
Yeah. I undestand the problem with the yoke assembly consuming more space. Too bad though. Wouldn't want to miss a yoke for this type of flying.

Dave P. Woycek

Space is one issue. But also precision is another. I find the saitek yoke quite cumbersome sometimes and not very smooth at all. I've been contemplating the warthog for about 7-8months now.

Gavin Price

I also use the Warthog, and I absolutely love it. It is the most solid system I've had my hands on. It allows you to fly very precisely and the craftsmanship is phenomenal. Everything is metal, nothing feels flimsy. The only problem I find is flying something with more than one donkey, since you then have to set up your throttles to work as one. But not a huge deal, unless you have a four throttle quadrant already.I'm wondering if any other warthogs here are using the thrust master software. I had a huge hit on performance in my old rig with FS9, so I never installed the software on my new setup. I simply use the FS commands to assign joystick buttons, which is less than optimal due to the two position levers on the warthog. So how are you guys finding the control software? Do you see any big perf hit with it in FSX? Is it a better or same option to using the FSUIPC interface instead?Many thanks.

I also use the Warthog, and I absolutely love it. It is the most solid system I've had my hands on. It allows you to fly very precisely and the craftsmanship is phenomenal. Everything is metal, nothing feels flimsy. The only problem I find is flying something with more than one donkey, since you then have to set up your throttles to work as one. But not a huge deal, unless you have a four throttle quadrant already.I'm wondering if any other warthogs here are using the thrust master software. I had a huge hit on performance in my old rig with FS9, so I never installed the software on my new setup. I simply use the FS commands to assign joystick buttons, which is less than optimal due to the two position levers on the warthog. So how are you guys finding the control software? Do you see any big perf hit with it in FSX? Is it a better or same option to using the FSUIPC interface instead?Many thanks.
You can setup the WH throttles with FSUIPC (paid version). If using a single engine, my right throttle is the throttle, and the left throttle is the prop pitch or whatever. If twin-engine, I use the left throttle for left engine and right throttle for right engine (duh), for multi engine I use LH Throttle for LH engines, and RH throttle for RH engines. You can set this up easily in FSUIPC.

I only use the Thrustmaster software to set LED backlight brightness. Everything else runs through FSUIPC with LINDA.

Guys, I bought the Saitek X65f stick and dual throttle quadrant when the NGX came out, it is metal and truly solid, the dual throttle is awesome and has detents that I can use for taxi and takeoff power settings (not accurate I know but the detents give perfect speed settings)Using dual throttle when manoeuvring on the ground has given an additional feeling of control and immersion.So...to the pressure sensitive stick, it is metal and has 3 hat switches that I have setup for pan, height and movement with the vc cockpit and this gives me a lot more movement within the cockpit by only moving my thumb between the 3 hats (works great), but and here is the issue...I have really struggled to get used to the pressure sensitive stick (no actual movement, just apply pressure with your palm/fingers), It has taken me 6 weeks to get the sensativies, null zones etc to a point were I am able to get the NGX reacting how I would expect it to, I guess I should upload this X65f profile to somewhere for others to use to save their pain!So to summarise, I use the Saitek X65f with the Saitek pro combat pedals (great pedals, love them) and am very happy with the level of control and quality it all provides, I also have all the Pro panels from Saitek which partially function with the NGX as well, so all in all I know Saitek is not total high end, but for value for money with the amount of dials, buttons and controls I have I am a happy man!

Rgds, Shaun

If price doesn't matter, take a peek at GoFlight Technologies avionics partnered with Sim To Go's Cockpit Trainer. The only thing I can see missing is a Precision Flight Controls floor-standing Boeing Yoke and matching Jet Rudder Pedals. While we're dreaming, don't forget to drool over the PFC Throttle Quadrant for 737's. I'm writing SANTA as we speak.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Regarding the above comments: I've not had a single problem with my WH. Regarding re-greasing: that might be required, but it was not necessary for mine. Regarding the returning to center: I really can't feel/see where you are coming from. Mine just returns to centre in a straight line, in all smoothness.
I ordered:
  • Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
  • Saitek Radio Stack (1)
  • Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals
  • Saitek BIP Backlit Information Panel

Thanks to those of you who gave advice and shared your experiences with me.RSM

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

I ordered:
  • Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
  • Saitek Radio Stack (1)
  • Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals
  • Saitek BIP Backlit Information Panel

Thanks to those of you who gave advice and shared your experiences with me.RSM

Excellent! You won't be dissapointed with the Warthog!!

You can't beat the Warthog HOTAS. Get rudder pedals later if you must but personally I just use one of the hat switches programmed to provide incremental rudder then push it to centre...works great. The best bit is the reversers...just pull the throttle(s) back through the gate and with appropraite programming in fsuips...voila, perfection.I have flaps on the slider so just move it incrementally to raise lower. Gear on the 3 pos flaps switch. Plus everything else programmed so I never have to touch the keyboard. The HOTAS joystick buttons all control ezdok camera views, mode controls the HGS, pinky button = nosewheel steering, 2 stage trigger is brakes & parking brake.Trim is on the joystick trim hat - it is all so logical and smooth operation. None of this flimsy joystick and yoke rubbish....Get one.Andrew Vincent