Sign in to follow this  
WotanUK

Is this a Joke?

Are they kidding, how will this work? I have bought the A10 and the Ka-50 (plus the $20 patch), not so sure i'll buy this, i would be interested in a WW2 sim...but a single plane? Are they altering the location? What about the mission editor; if anything needs a campaign mode it's a WW2 plane.

Ian R Tyldesley

Are they kidding, how will this work? I have bought the A10 and the Ka-50 (plus the $20 patch), not so sure i'll buy this, i would be interested in a WW2 sim...but a single plane? Are they altering the location? What about the mission editor; if anything needs a campaign mode it's a WW2 plane.
It is a news release about an alpha product that will appear sometime later this year. Unless someone from DCS is lurking here, there is absolutely no one here that can answer your questions.Oh, and it is certainly not a joke.

It is a news release about an alpha product that will appear sometime later this year. Unless someone from DCS is lurking here, there is absolutely no one here that can answer your questions.Oh, and it is certainly not a joke.
You of course are right, it is part of there roadmap, just curious if anybody knew how it was going to workhttp://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=81589

Ian R Tyldesley

You purchased their two other single aircraft sims... By now I'm sure you're aware they produce quality products.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You purchased their two other single aircraft sims... By now I'm sure you're aware they produce quality products.
Absolutely Zach, i was wondering how this would fit with there existing sims; to me at least, i have no interest in flying a mustang around the sterile environment of the Caucasus. Now if they are offering a campaign and either the Eastern or Western fronts...that's a different matter.

Ian R Tyldesley

I think flying this machine in a modern battlefield will be a fun challenge.

Absolutely Zach, i was wondering how this would fit with there existing sims; to me at least, i have no interest in flying a mustang around the sterile environment of the Caucasus. Now if they are offering a campaign and either the Eastern or Western fronts...that's a different matter.
Well. That was my point, Ian. I can't imagine DCS giving a simulation that doesn't include all of what you're expecting.I share your feeling of the region currently depicted. The thing going for it is it's such a believable theater for the modern aircraft they've modeled so far.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I think the Mustang is just for fun. Nevada will be released later this year (which I hoped it was sooner) and they are also working on the next series fixed wing fighter module. I don't think they are releasing P-51 as a module, but more like a small addon to make a little bit extra money, this is a business after all, they are here to make money.

Edited by AndreasCh

A P-51 outside of FSX limitations. Come on, that can't be bad!

Alexis Mefano

I think the Mustang is just for fun. Nevada will be released later this year (which I hoped it was sooner) and they are also working on the next series fixed wing fighter module. I don't think they are releasing P-51 as a module, but more like a small addon to make a little bit extra money, this is a business after all, they are here to make money.
You've got DCS pegged all wrong. They don't produce half baked or half assed products.
A P-51 outside of FSX limitations. Come on, that can't be bad!
Agreed. But A2A sure have gotten around most of them.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

DCS : ApacheThat's what I want.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I must admit I am less than thrilled about this. I'm also quite puzzled...If you read the the thread about this on the DCS forums you'll see some of the moderators/beta testers are basically saying this will just be a P-51 in the existing DCS environment. There won't be a new theatre, campaign or other period aircraft. Which begs the question, what are we going to do with a P-51 in the modern DCS environment? Going toe to toe with a MiG-29 in a P-51 will certainly be a novel and interesting challenge, but you can bet it's going to get old pretty fast.It would appear that ED are testing the WW2 waters after the abysmal failure of Il-2 Cliffs of Dover. Apparently if the P-51 is a success they'll start to add more WW2 era aircraft. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm a die hard flight simulation fanatic who compulsively buys almost everything - yet this DCS P-51 doesn't interest me at all if there is no contemporary setting for it to fly in.The moderators/beta testers I mentioned above are saying the point of the DCS P-51 is purely to *fly* it. Well I already have the Warbirdsim P-51s in FSX for that, and before too long the A2A Accu-Sim P-51 as well. The same moderators/beta testers are really bigging the DCS P-51 up, saying the fidelity of flight and engine modelling is hitherto unheard of and that every other simulation of a WW2 warbird out there is absolutely laughable in comparison. I wonder what A2A have to say about that?

I must admit I am less than thrilled about this. I'm also quite puzzled...If you read the the thread about this on the DCS forums you'll see some of the moderators/beta testers are basically saying this will just be a P-51 in the existing DCS environment. There won't be a new theatre, campaign or other period aircraft. Which begs the question, what are we going to do with a P-51 in the modern DCS environment? Going toe to toe with a MiG-29 in a P-51 will certainly be a novel and interesting challenge, but you can bet it's going to get old pretty fast.It would appear that ED are testing the WW2 waters after the abysmal failure of Il-2 Cliffs of Dover. Apparently if the P-51 is a success they'll start to add more WW2 era aircraft. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm a die hard flight simulation fanatic who compulsively buys almost everything - yet this DCS P-51 doesn't interest me at all if there is no contemporary setting for it to fly in.The moderators/beta testers I mentioned above are saying the point of the DCS P-51 is purely to *fly* it. Well I already have the Warbirdsim P-51s in FSX for that, and before too long the A2A Accu-Sim P-51 as well. The same moderators/beta testers are really bigging the DCS P-51 up, saying the fidelity of flight and engine modelling is hitherto unheard of and that every other simulation of a WW2 warbird out there is absolutely laughable in comparison. I wonder what A2A have to say about that?
Well they have an advantage; DCS has it's own engine, A2A are PMDG level but they (and PMDG) both have to work within the FSX environment.I will confess i am not excited by this (i'll still buy it) just pleased that it isn't affecting the F/A18.I would love a hind.Incidentally i don't like the title of this topic (even though i started it), it comes across as negative, in fact i was asking if it was just a joke.

Ian R Tyldesley

Well they have an advantage; DCS has it's own engine, A2A are PMDG level but they (and PMDG) both have to work within the FSX environment.
It might be the greatest P-51 ever to take to the virtual skies, but honestly, without a period setting and being limited to the existing DCS Georgia theatre it holds very little interest for me.However, I do know that Black Shark and A-10C were both the results of governmental contracts ED worked on - i.e. these sims are commercial retail versions of simulations they were contracted to make for the RuAF and USAF respectively. I also know that ED are owned by The Fighter Collection, who operate a P-51 out of Duxford - apparently the DCS P-51D will be based on TFC's machine. I'm betting that TFC had ED make the P-51D as a training aid for their pilots and ED are now seeing if they can float it on the retail market. A potentially very interesting proposition given the horrible mess that the Il-2 series has gotten itself into.Time will tell...
just pleased that it isn't affecting the F/A18.
I'll agree there. I am somewhat comforted to hear the P-51D is not affecting the development/release of the next "real" DCS module - which has yet to be confirmed, although I also agree it looks like it will be an F/A-18C.
I would love a hind.
There are loads of aircraft I would love to see get the DCS treatment.... the Tornado GR4, Typhoon FGR4, Harrier GR9, Su-27SM, Su-30MKI...However we are stuck with several facts: - ED have said they will only model an aircraft which they have sufficient technical data available - which rules out many contemporary types. - ED have said they will only model a single seat aircraft as they feel a lone user would be overwhelmed doing the job of pilot and WSO and they can't programme an AI smart enough to do the other crew member's jobs sufficiently well. - BS and A-10 were both spin-offs of government contracts. - It would appear the market is only really interested in American types :(