Sign in to follow this  
WotanUK

Is this a Joke?

I'm betting that TFC had ED make the P-51D as a training aid for their pilots
I didn't know that pilots are lining up to train on rare warbirds like the P-51 to the extent as to warrant computer based training. Most "non-private collector" warbirds are flown by highly experienced ex-military airmen.
I think flying this machine in a modern battlefield will be a fun challenge.
I wonder how the Mustang will fare against Su-35s and S-300s.

Well they have an advantage; DCS has it's own engine, A2A are PMDG level but they (and PMDG) both have to work within the FSX environment.
True, but from what I understood from the demo video of A2A's B337, it's basically only the model that is running within FSX. The entire simulation, including systems, FDE, is all through Accusim. By doing that they not only manage to get much better FPS but also they can do things that FSX by itself probably wouldn't be able to. It seems to me like many of FSX's hurdles are slowly being overcome simply by coding everything outside of FSX, then "plugging it into" FSX.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

It is curious... I agree with the poster above who mentioned that they might just be putting their toes in the water. If they do decide to branch out and bring a WWII type atmosphere I know it would be welcomed in the community. Although this particular project doesn't get me all that excited, I know they will do a kick &@($* job and hopefully there will be plenty more who will pick it up.

To tell the truth it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if ED branches out in to many more simulation opportunities. If they offered a 737 or military transport I would be on that like white on rice.

Tyson Rose

Eagle Dynamics created a simulation engine that, in principal, can simulate anything from fast jets to bicycles. P-51D was something to show off what their sim engine was capable of... a tech demo of sorts. Progress was quick... 1 + 1 = 2 and so they decided to market it as a commercial add-on.

Think outside the box for a moment. This P-51 can drop bombs, fire bullets and missiles. You can go online and have a dogfight with another P-51 user. I'm sure there will be an online ladder-challenges as soon as this thing goes gold. If this module succeeds it only stands to reason that more WWII planes will follow... possibly period terrain as well. And yes... 3rd parties are lining up to take up this challenge as this too is part of ED's business model. I'm not going to start comparing this P-51 with any of the others available for FSX. To be honest, I haven't tried any of them. What I do know is that ED is commited to simulate everything in minute detail. Their flight-model engine is fantastic and I've never seen anything quite like it...

regards

PS: none of this flying around in some part of the world admiring the scenery bull.... If that rocks your boat then by all means... but this is a combat aircraft. You think you're the Ace of the Base? Well, then try and see if you can actually operate this piece of machinery to it's limits against other "Aces"... You'll be surprised, I'm sure. :-)

Just downloaded this morning and after adjusting the control and view setup, I can say DCS does amazing work. Although Beta, their Mustang has to be one of the best PC based virtual airplanes of any kind in any sim... it really feels that good. If you just like to fly, and want to experience an aircraft like this, I highly recommend it. The gun sight, sounds and effects are beautifully rendered and very realistic. I hate to say it's hard to fly a Warbird in FSX after this, but it really is. It will be interesting to see if A2A does as good a job... likely, but this version is very impressive!

^^Sweet Shot^^ just wait till they release the New "Edge" terrain engine with Nevada!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Yes, hardly waiting for Nevada. It was beautiful even then in first DCS: A10 beta. Now, with new engine ... Well, for now another Mustang shot:

Mustang-Screen120430141708-L.jpg

WOW!!! Even better!!! Looks like you have DCS P-51 running with all the Bells and Whistles!! Nice!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Thank you. But it's far from highest settings. More middle. My old CPU & GPU won't let me ;)

Well it is out and I am somewhat disappointed. I thought this would have at least a mini-campaign revolving around the Mustang! :O

What is the point of a WW2 plane add-on to fly around for fun in a WW3 environment? To do that, there are plenty of P-51's available for FSX/FS9 etc. :mad:

I'll stick to flying the A-10! :rolleyes: