Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

MDA setting on approach cahrts?

Hey guys,I mostly fly the NGX with real world approach charts. It adds a whole new immension to that. but I´m ahving troubles to find the correct values for the MDA (Minimum Decission Dltitude) setting on these charts. Can someone enlighten me?

Mda for non precision approaches can be found in the minimums section of the charts at the bottom.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

Mda for non precision approaches can be found in the minimums section of the charts at the bottom.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB
Well, there are a lot of numbers in the Minimums section but which one is the right one?

On my phone lemme get a link to show u. StandbySent from my iPhone using TapatalkJBCheck this outhttp://tiles.skyvector.com/sky/files/tpp/1201/pdf/00552VA.PDF1500 is the mdaSent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

Hey guys,I mostly fly the NGX with real world approach charts. It adds a whole new immension to that. but I´m ahving troubles to find the correct values for the MDA (Minimum Decission Dltitude) setting on these charts. Can someone enlighten me?
Your first problem is there is no MDA on the chart you provided. It is an ILS and uses DH insteadhttp://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-appr.htm Edited by PIC007

Jay

For clarity, MDA is the Minimum Descent Altitude.

Since I'm on my phone I had no idea the op posted charts as I'm on taptalk.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

MDA and DA or DH are all essentially the same. They all define the altitude limit on an approach before you get a visual of the runway or approach lights.Without going into excruciating details.Check out pilot resources at vatsim. It has some good stuff to look over if your new to IFR procedures. Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

Then I mean DH. I'm very confused about this.
Did you look at the link in my other post? It should help clear things up, but the short version is:MDA is minimum descent altitude is is used for NON precision approaches, which is basicly any approach OTHER than an ILS. What this means is once you pass the FAF (final approach fix) you can descend immediatly to the MDA and fly that altitude to the missed approach point (MAP) or land if you have the runway in sight. It is a timed approach based on your speed.DH is decision height and is used for the ILS because it has vertical as well as horizontal guidence. You are flying a 'precision' path on the approach so the DH is used, you either go missed or land once you hit that altitude.Hope this helps, but there is a lot more to it if you 'Google' it. Edited by PIC007

Jay

Decision Height/Decision Altitude, for precision approach such as an ILS.Minimum Descent Altitude, for non precision approach such as a VOR/DME approach.On your ILS 29 @ OAK 209ft (msl) is the DH. If flying the localizer only (non precision approach), the MDA is 560ft (msl).The number after the slant is the RVR (runway visual range) requirement - Essentially the horizontal visibility in hundreds of feet. So to even attempt the ILS 29 you need 200 ft ceiling and 1800 ft RVR. You can disregard the number in parentheses - those are for military operators.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There is no decisionheight (DH).This chart uses a missed approach point (MAP) which is defined as 7.5 nm after the final approach fix (FAF).The FAF is MITOE which is at 8.8nm DME from OAK VOR.At the bottom left there is a table with speeds and times.(time * speed = distance)First you fly to JENFR at 4100 ft.When you reach JENFR you follow the localizer while descending to 2500 ft and watch the OAK DME.When this reads 8.8 nm you are at MITOE and you start a stopwatch.You continue your descent along the ILS (localizer and glideslope) until the stopwatch has reached the time corresponding with your speed.now you have reached the MAp and you must decide to either fly the missed approach or land.The MAP is also 0.1 nm after the inner marker (IM) so you could use that as well.

Actually there is both, I was in a hurry earlier, the chart he posted is for either the ILS or LOC

Jay

You don't have to make a timed approach if you have DME. Additionally ATC will be providing radar vectors to the final approach course, so he wouldn't have to fly it like you wrote.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

All right, I think I got it.I´m not a novice in IFR procedures but that has never been really clear to me.