Sign in to follow this  
funnelpond

Flight will cost a small fortune

im talking about textures - and terrain in general - what has to do with walking ??? or trees moving ??i say again: the mountains - and ground textures in ak - look very familiar to me - and indeed not very much different than fsx.and based what the gentleman above my post - smell - it might be that some fsx textures have been indeed updated and directly imported into flight.
Sorry, I miss understood your post..... :friends:

Just thinking that doing some cleaning up, modernizing and repositioning (with a few additions) might be one way they are going or could go to spit out content at a rapid pace.(pure speculation)

Edited by HiFlyer'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Here's my take. According to Wiki Hawaii is 10,931 square miles. The Hawaii DLC cost $20. The Alaska expansion is suppose to cover 1.2 million square miles. Should the Alaska DLC also cost $20 I feel that Hawaii would be a bit of a rip off (especially considering a large percentage of the Hawaii map is ocean). Therefore I can't see Alaska costing the same as Hawaii. Alaska would require way more work on the part of the developers as compared to Hawaii in my opinion, so I really don't see how the Alaska expansion can cost $20. Just my $0.02. Thanks for reading.

Here's my take. According to Wiki Hawaii is 10,931 square miles. The Hawaii DLC cost $20. The Alaska expansion is suppose to cover 1.2 million square miles. Should the Alaska DLC also cost $20 I feel that Hawaii would be a bit of a rip off (especially considering a large percentage of the Hawaii map is ocean). Therefore I can't see Alaska costing the same as Hawaii. Alaska would require way more work on the part of the developers as compared to Hawaii in my opinion, so I really don't see how the Alaska expansion can cost $20. Just my $0.02. Thanks for reading.
Has MS stated that the Alaska terrain would be packaged with an additional aircraft like Hawaii, or simply that more aircraft will be available when Alaska is released? If you feel the RV should cost about what the Maule does, the Hawaiian terrain is only $5 or so.

Well Alaska will be a big test to see how deep they plan on going, are they going to do a couple of airports or are they going to do a bunch... From the scenes Anchorage looks good, but are they going to do Wasilla, Juneau, or even places like Dead Horse or Talkeetna... If they just model 2 or 3 airports that will be a disapointment, but I assume they will be using good ol FSX to fill in the holes...

Tyson Rose

If they just model 2 or 3 airports that will be a disapointment, but I assume they will be using good ol FSX to fill in the holes...
Will be interesting to see. . .I'd think the more stuff modeled, the more detail, the more it will cost. . .that being said, seems that most of us would rather pay more and get more.

Has MS stated that the Alaska terrain would be packaged with an additional aircraft like Hawaii, or simply that more aircraft will be available when Alaska is released? If you feel the RV should cost about what the Maule does, the Hawaiian terrain is only $5 or so.
RoboRayAs far as I know, MS has not released any details about what, if any, aircraft will be included as part of the Alaska DLC and what will be released as purchasable DLC. If I had to guess I would say they would release some sort of float plane as it would be relatively simple to model and would allow the user to enjoy landing on the many lakes that are found in Alaska and reach some of the remote communities that can only be reached by float plane for missions and such. I would be surprised if they included more than one plane with the map. However this is all my opinion. I have no insider knowledge.

One thing that perhaps has not been thought about, or at least mentioned.Ok so they release Flight, the core product as a free download. Now granted, a lot of fun can be had with just the core product, but they are banking on the majority of these same users, purchasing at least the Hawaii Adventure Pack, if not also the Maule. First to see how DLC goes over, and maybe secondly, to recoup a large part of the developmental cost of Flight?Think about it - FSX, in the Deluxe version, cost what - like 70 bucks upon release. The standard edition was cheaper. Only additional revenue they would make off it, was through the release of the Acceleration pack for it - can't remember the cost of it. So let's say, they were banking on selling enough copies of FSX to at the least recoup their development costs, and hopefully make a profit over the long run.With Flight, obviously their thinking is they will reach a much larger audience. Of that larger audience, they are banking on a certain percentage of them, to go ahead and purchase the DLC that is immediately available, the Hawaii Pack along with the Maule. So that is app 40 USD for the initial download content.Where I am going with this is - perhaps the introductory DLC is priced such, that they hope to recoup their developmental cost, or even make a profit, off the initial release by the larger audience purchasing the initial DLC that is available now... Meaning the initial DLC content is priced higher, for that reason, and maybe future DLC content, will indeed be more reasonable as more is released...Just pure speculation on my part, just something that crossed my mind...

maybe future DLC content, will indeed be more reasonable as more is released...
I do see you point - it would seem that once Flight development was covered, DLC would become less expensive. Instead of $15 for a single plane, maybe $5. Unfortunately, people are willing to pay more than $5 for a good plane. MSFT has very little need to price the DLC such that we'd end up spending $100 for 20 planes and the whole world, even though that closely resembles FSX pricing. Scenery too, people are willing to pay $25-$50 for scenery or even a single airport. Along those lines, the DLC is very reasonable even at it's current level - and I think MSFT knows that. Sure, there will be sales on DLC or bundles - Hawaii will probably be on sale sometime down the road when sales drop below a certain level - much like movies on disc. . .

If Alaska is framerate friendly and keeps the same quality than Hawaii. I'd be happy to pay.I just watched a documentary about hawaii last night. It was amazing because I could identify almost every place just because I already saw it in Flight. It might not be perfect, I think trees are a bit overgrown specially when they fade out on the horizon. But in my opinion one of the best addons I have ever seen and it's as good as orbx or any other similar.

Let's speculate a little there ... hehehehe ....We took the pencil ... the paper towel .....What is the price of a "square mile" scenario built?.... if Hawaii has 10.931 square miles and costs $ 20 .... it gives us a price for every 1000 square miles .... $ 1.8296...... or $ 0.18296 per 100 square miles ... and that makes ... every 10 square miles have a price of $ 0.018296 ... in consequence every square mile costs $ 0.0018296 ...!In short, each one square mile costs the modest sum of $ 0.00183 dollars ...!Now .....Alaska... If it has 1.2 million square miles .... then the price of the DLC will be ...... hmmm ... hummmm ...hummmmm............ $ 2196???DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN!!!!............... I'll have to rob a bank!Do not worry, i wrote this for pure fun, Microsoft is not going to do this wickedness!(this is merely an exercise in speculation, any resemblance to reality is pure coincidence.)

I have not seen this exact kind of F2P business model, but if I am not totally wrong there will be more bundles and sales when more stuff is added. Its either that or as the game gets older, the current DLC will gradually go down in price.. We will have to wait and see. say that MS adds an aircraft that you personally dont have much interest in. Other people will ofcourse, but then later on when more aircrafts are added or/and when more scenery is added there will be bundles. Like now we are paying for the RV and Hawaii islands. Next up is Alaska. I think that there might be a bundle there as well, give it more time and we might see a "get the hawaii and alaska packs in a bundle for 25% reduced price" or something like that.In my experience, thats how its going to play out. If you want all the stuff that gets added, sure it will be costy. But sooner or later they will add something you dont want there and then, and at a later point you get the offer to buy it as a bundle with something you want.

Let's speculate a little there ... hehehehe ....We took the pencil ... the paper towel .....What is the price of a "square mile" scenario built?.... if Hawaii has 10.931 square miles and costs $ 20 ....
Your assumed price is incorrect. The RV-6 is clearly the same quality as the Maule, so first you need to subtract the value of the RV-6, leaving $5.00 as the calculated cost of the islands & scenery...Also, the actual size was misreported. It is actually 1.2 million sq. kilometers! More like 690 million sq. miles... :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I see it this way, if the xpacks are too expensive im just going to stick with FSX, i would never pay 30-40 $ for an xpack, thats just too much.
I guess that you've missed out on much of Orbx's goodness then...