Sign in to follow this  
Knottypine1979

Aerocache - Take off.... why not from runway?

After completing over 50 Aerocaches... I just finally wanted to bring up this point. It starts you at the nearest airport to the cache. The button says take off, yet it always slews your A/C in the air. I would like to actually begin from the runway. A lot of times when starting in the air, my controls are not set, and if at night no interior lights are on. I'm just not set up to how I'd normally be flying and it just seems off.I think when beginning an Aerocache hunt, you should start on the ground so you can go through your start-up and take off procedure. Just a thought. Unless maybe I've done something to make me start in the air all the time?CheersDarryl

Instead of clicking Take Off or whatever it says next to the aerocache after you click Start Hunt, click Free Flight and then click an airport icon and start on the preferred runway. It will still load as an aerocache hunt.

Brandon Filer

I always start on the runway and take off myself. You pick the aerocache you want to find, see which airport it starts you at then just go on the map and click on the airport. On the right side are a list of runways. Pick which on you want and and pick the runway to take off from on the right.

I look to see what the aerocache is, then load one of my cold & dark free-flight saves on Oahu and fly to it.Funny one was a couple of days ago where I never even started the motor... I just jogged from my plane parked at Kaneohe Hangar 105 over to Hangar 102.

Ah yes some good points. It already starts you at the nearest airport, just seems odd it wouldn't start you off in at least take off position. I'll just do it manually for next time! :)

I've been doing the daily aerocache hunts as part of a biplane sightseeing tour. Today's even sent me directly to the aerocache.Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Instead of clicking Take Off or whatever it says next to the aerocache after you click Start Hunt, click Free Flight and then click an airport icon and start on the preferred runway.
this brings up a similiar topic re the GUI. honestly I find this hard to use. might be me but I miss a red herring in the usage of the user interface. sometimes m brings up the map, most times not. the fly button is hidden under free flight even if I am not in free flight. some changes require to access the menue and then I find myself clicking around wondering what brings me back to my flight. sometimes just ESC, sometimes the M button again or sometimes the free flight --> fly button. wouldn't it make sense to have 1 prominent FLY! button somewhere which is always available, regardless in whcih (sub)menue you are? right now it reminds me to the ingenious windows task bar glimpse (especially vista) where you has to click Start to shutdown the comp.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

click Start to shutdown the comp.
In the DOS days it was "Press ENTER to exit." :DThe M key takes you to the map from free flight. Beta testers requested it take you back to free flight from the map, and it was added.If you went through the tips at the beginning of the game (if only to unlock the paint scheme), it covered the menu pretty thoroughly.Hook

Larry Hookins

went through the tips
sure I did. menues are surely subjective but I do not find the flight menue to be very intuitive. aircraft are in the hangar but weather is under free flight although weather applies - like the aircraft I chose - also to all other activities like aerocache hunts.jobs are under free flight though you could easily classify them as missions. well, maybe I am indeed just too much used to the FSX menue where you set all from 1 screen and don't have to change menue trees up and down and forth and back just.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The menus are set up XBox controller style. That's the first thing my 16 year old nephew commented on when I showed him Flight. He liked it. I've never seen an XBox menu myself, and like the simplicity of the Flight menu.Hook

Larry Hookins