http://www.overclock...rodid=GX-148-EA

http://www.overclock...rodid=CP-404-IN

whats the difference between this and the 2700k - in terms of overcloakability

http://www.overclock...rodid=MB-061-AK

http://www.overclock...rodid=HS-011-NC

http://www.overclock...rodid=MY-017-SA

And windows 7 64

Now i have a few questions:

Seeing as fsx is highly intensive on cpu, - why do we spend twice as much on the gpu as we would on a cpu?

Ive picked a z77 board as ive read a few problems with z68 boards, cant remember what the main issue was.

Ive picked the samsung ram, as i know there is a good clearance between that and the monster of a cooler that the noctua is.

Now the last thing(i think)

Why do we now buy an ssd aswell as a hdd? whats the purpose of installing fsx on an hdd and windows on the ssd? surely if an ssd is faster, more reliable, then fsx should be on that? or am i missing something here???

If ive got it wrong could someone explain to me how this all works?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, your input would be greatly appreciated.

regards

EDIT: currently im on xp with utx, pmdg fspax(which will not stop crashing my pc somehowdespite many many attempts to reinstall) pmdg md11, but do plan on buying alot more sceneries and active sky.

The ovclockability of the 3570k is probably much less than the 2700k, due to intel's design changes. That said, I just replaced my 2600k with a 3570k, and I am finding FSX much more flyable than I did with the sandy bridge chip. I haven't overclocked yet, because I'm still working out some kinks with my home theater software (my rig is dual use). I'm very excited for what this baby will be able to do when I install liquid cooling (perhaps even a chiller.

I'm getting about 20fps in the NGX with WOAI traffic at 100%, AS2012, GEX and UTX enabled, at airports like FSDT KLAX, KDFW, or imaginesime KSJC and KIAD. In flight, I'm getting 30fps, which is where my limit is set. Even more exciting to me is how smooth it is.

You linked to a GTX580 in your post, but I would recommend going with a Kepler GPU, as while it doesn't appear PCIe 3.0 isn't improving FPS, it is providing improved smoothness and autogen loading. This is important of you like flying over high autogen areas like ORBX, or my personal favorite, the Golden Gate approach to Flightbeam KSFO, with Aerosoft San Fancisco enabled.

Best of luck with your new rig!

thanks for the link superglide, - i had read the link you gave me, prior to your reply, but im not sure if all my questions were answered, how does it work installing windows on one drive and fsx on another? isnt fsx windows based and as such would need windows for it to be installed?

Hi ramrunner, many thanks for your reply also, i was looking at just the 2550k, and dont know about the 2700k but with very little price difference between themall (inc all the 2 i do not have a clue about how cpu's are built/made or any specifications etc, - ive got no idea between sandy and ivy.

I dont fly in the usa really, but probably would if i had good sceneries, i just mainly fly in europe, although i do plan on getting a few more sceneries(airports etc) and would like max settings if possible - surely in todays age we can run fsx sweetly.

As for the gpu, ive no idea what your talking about with kepler, but i was advised to get the 580 as opposed to the 480 (due to the 480 running alot hotter)

Like i said why do we spend twice as much on gpu than we do on cpu?

kindest regards

paul

Kepler means one of the new 600 series cards that are the current generation. The 480 is definitely not the way to go if you're looking to buy a GPU today. As I said, the 600 series cards seem to be providing smoother performance, but the 580 is an awesome card too. I personally would not invest my hard earned money in last year's tech if new stuff is available. A current generation card will be much more future proof.

Also, please don't be under the impression that just because FSX is CPU dependent, GPU doesn't matter.

hi ram thanks again,

The 580 was the card i was going to go for, as im not sure i have the extra 100 bucks,for the 680, does the extra justify the extra 1.5g?

What other 600 series are there you would recommend?

Thanks for the reply alib, if you took the time to read this post then you would have seen that the link was already posted, thanks though.

EDIT, i dont know why im all underlined.

What other 600 series are there you would recommend?

Unless you're playing multimonitor, the extra VRAM isn't something I'd worry about. PCIe 3.0 is what is intriguing to me. Honestly, we don't have enough information yet about what effect PCIe 3.0 has on FSX, because the cards were just released. The GTX 670 is new on the market, but I haven't seen any FSX results yet. Those are selling at about $400 retail. I wouldn't rush out and buy one, but in the next few weeks we'll hopefully hear some reports on how they perform in FSX.

Currently i do have 2 monitors on my 8600gts, and i plan on running dual monitors on a new card, but whats getting me is - (which ive tried asking) if fsx is on one hdd(ssd) and windows is on another, how do i alternate between the 2 so i can bring up charts etc etc.

This is pretty much an fsx only pc, but need internet explorer for flight sim downloads etc etc.

Im not that pc literate at the best of times.

I appreciate your time, thanks again

Be aware that it's not really possible to have FSX span two monitors. It' doesn't like to be stretched accross two screens, and your FPS take such a performance hit that the sim will be pretty much unflyable. When you use TH2Go, Eyefinity, or NVidia Surround, the drivers trick FSX into thinking it's only looking at one display, thus avoiding the performance hit. I don't believe that any of these options will work with fewer than 3 monitors. You can still use your second monitor for charts and other utililties, but as you will not be running a 3D application on that screen, it shouldn't really require a noticeable amount VRAM. I've run 3 monitors on 1.5GB of VRAM with moderate success.

There's no alternating between the two disks, Windows is smart enough to run them both at the same time, and pull from what it wants, when it wants.

Hey ram, thanks again, im not using fs across 2 monitors, its on just one in windowed mode, with the window stretched across as much of that single desktop as possible without touching the taskbar(i read on vatsim a few years ago that there could be a fps hit when it did touch the taskbar in windowed mode) , and yh the second monitor for charts etc, currently im only on 1280X1024 on 2 X 17" monitors, but when funds allow i may get a larger for fs and stick with a 17" for charts etc.

Just out of curiosity, can i add my existing 8600gts into my new build so that i can run 4 monitors (i know it wont be in sli mode, im thinking that the psu will supply 2 g/card power points and my new g/card will want both of them, leaving none for the 8600?).

Once again many thanks