Sign in to follow this  
nrcapes

BGL not active in FSX-ADE newbie

I have ADE running on a Windows XP machine. I loaded in a stock airport (KANE) and modified the tower frequency in comms, then compiled the airport and saved it. Then ran FSX and the new frequency is there. I then saved the compiled BGL to another (Windows 7) machine in a folder in FSX>add on scenery>test>scenery. Running FSX on the Windows 7 machine finds the new tower frequency. But doing the same procedure to add a simple ILS approach to runway 27 at KANE doesn't seem to pick up the ILS, because a flight plan with KANE as the destination doesn't show an ILS as a possible approach. I don't want to mess with my FSX machine by directly running ADE there and compiling a new BGL.

I don't want to mess with my FSX machine by directly running ADE there and compiling a new BGL

Can I ask why not? The vast majority users do it this way.

Sure. I have a test machine that I run ALL third-party software on (license permitting) before moving it to my FSX machine. So of course I am concerned about changing the underlying structure of FSX by modifying airports. A while ago I had a FSX corruption that I spent almost a day on the phone with Microsoft, and then had to do a complete re-install. I also try to keep all dim software off the FSX machine and hook it up to FSX through WideFS and FSUIPC.

But doing the same procedure to add a simple ILS approach to runway 27 at KANE doesn't seem to pick up the ILS, because a flight plan with KANE as the destination doesn't show an ILS as a possible approach.

What exactly did you add to KANE?

The default does not have an ILS, did you add one?

If so, did you add an approach for the ILS?

Are you using a flight planner other than the default?

BTW, ADE9X does not modify any FS files and is safe on your FSX machine.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

What exactly did you add to KANE?

The default does not have an ILS, did you add one?

If so, did you add an approach for the ILS?

Yes, I added an ILS using the basic ILS add function of ADE (not the more complex function in Approach Mode). It works fine after I compiled it to AddonScenery>Scenery.

As mentioned above ADE will not change your FSX basic structure in any way. It only creates update Bgl files and you can choose to use them as you wish. I also suspect that it would be more difficult to connect ADE to FSX across a network - I have never tried that as ADE is designed to work alongside FSX.

BTW I am fascinated to know what 'dim software' is!

... It works fine after I compiled it to AddonScenery>Scenery.

So you are good to go?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

But doing the same procedure to add a simple ILS approach to runway 27 at KANE doesn't seem to pick up the ILS, because a flight plan with KANE as the destination doesn't show an ILS as a possible approach.

Adding an ILS where none exists requires 3 things, all can be done in ADE.

1. Add the navaid ILS. This produces the "green" shaded cone/feathers and also provides the sim radio signal that cockpit avionics respond to. It also shows on the FSX map and on the GPS. ADE will position the 3 elements (localizer, glideslope, DME) in appropriate positions for a "typical" installation. You can move or edit as needed (example, remove DME or glieslope).

2. Add visual scenery objects. The default generic airport objects provide a localizer antenna, localizer transmitter shed, and glideslope antenna/transmitter. ADE has these generic objects in its library object tool. These are placed where you want them to physically show (normally, at the source of the green triangle/feathers).

3. Add the approach code for the ILS approach. This is needed for ATC to recognize the ILS as part of an instrument approach, and also provides the data the AI engine uses to guide AI aircraft to the runway. ADE can provide a "generic" approach that is good enough to use, but most devs try to get a real approach chart if possible and edit the generic approach to agree with the chart. The approach consists of some header info about altitudes, runway, final approach fix position, missed approach that the ATC and AI engines use. Then there is detailed route data that is displayed in the GPS. It is also possible to define one or more "transitions", i.e., routing to join the approach from the enroute airways. These transitions can be requested from ATC, though the AI don't use them. The transitions also have a header (gives altitude and fix location for the start of the transition route which is what ATC uses) and again the route data for the GPS.

Though the built-in FSX flight planner doesn't provide for any type of approach -- that is only provided via the ATC engine when enroute, though it is possible to pre-load the approach into the GPS. Addon aircraft may have the ability to build flightplans with approach data, but this is separate from the default FSX planner. These addon aircraft may get data from the FSX bgl files, or may have their own navigation data files which you would have to update separately from FSX.

scott s.

As mentioned above ADE will not change your FSX basic structure in any way. It only creates update Bgl files and you can choose to use them as you wish. I also suspect that it would be more difficult to connect ADE to FSX across a network - I have never tried that as ADE is designed to work alongside FSX.

BTW I am fascinated to know what 'dim software' is!

I didn't connect ADE to FSX across a network. I just saved the compiled BGL to a network drive. Good to know it won't harm FSX. My fat fingers on an iPad made "sim" into "dim." Thanks for the response. I found ADE very user friendly, but then I was in IT for 20 years and am a real-world instrument pilot.

I didn't connect ADE to FSX across a network. I just saved the compiled BGL to a network drive. Good to know it won't harm FSX. My fat fingers on an iPad made "sim" into "dim." Thanks for the response. I found ADE very user friendly, but then I was in IT for 20 years and am a real-world instrument pilot.

Hmm - I would expect that to work. Thanks for the kind words about ADE - much appreciated.