Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Fsgenesis in trouble

Given today's economic environment, anyone who blithely tosses out "get a job" as though it were a realistic option in the short term has quite obviously not been unemployed recently and has no true understanding at all of just how awful things are now.

In the Chicagoland area for example, there are currently twenty-thousand+ unemployed men and women for every single job that becomes available, and of those few available jobs, most are at or slightly above minimum wage level.

I was among the first to purchase a "Galaxy Membership" and don't feel the least bit "cheated," since Justin mailed me everything that was available on CD/DVD as of two years ago, so I got full value for my money long ago.

I will be looking into whatever has been made available for FSX since my last look several years ago, and will go ahead and grab it at full price regardless of whether I plan to fly in those areas or not. Who knows, some day I just might decide to! :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I bought Galaxy life time membership sometimes in late summer last year and I've been very happy with every mesh I've installed so far. Memebership was something like -50% and I consider it a bargain. I also think and thought at the time, that this membership deal with discount doesn't seem that good from the business perspective as it doesn't generate any money in the long term, only the single subscription purchase. Only other purchase I've made so far is Galaxy and NextBase, and with discount that isn't a huge pile of bucks. And there isn't that much left to purchase after all.

I hope FSGenesis survives and gets customers. Or perhaps Justin could team up with scenery builders and thus license his meshes with scenery products and generate some revenue through them. I don't know. It is not the first time that Justin is complaining of the cash flow, but I still decided to download rest of the meshes I haven't yet installed in case FSGenesis story is coming to an end and servers are shut down...

Notwithstanding the need to get some new stuff in the catalogue, I'm presuming that FS Genesis could put their present products up on sites such as Simmarket, FS Pilot Shop, Flight Sim Store etc, rather than just completely go out of business, which would probably pull in some customers who had never heard of them. After all, people won't buy what they don't know exists.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I would have thought it would be fairly obvious?

... donate a couple of $...

FSGenesis itself says sales have "nosedived" and there's no suggestion they will improve. How long then should donations continue?

Given today's economic environment, anyone who blithely tosses out "get a job" as though it were a realistic option in the short term has quite obviously not been unemployed recently and has no true understanding at all of just how awful things are now.

But if FSGenesis is no longer going to provide an income, what's the alternative to finding another source of income?

Guest Kosta

I quite agree. I don't plan on donating money to FSG on monthly basis. And I also think the kind of emails Justin is sending out are a little... unprofessional.

He simply made a bad business model and that's it.

It's actually quite amazing that he managed to get up to the 6-number figure with what he has - a quite limited user base, products that are real bad to install (you have to go through many files and install them all separately, while some competitive products offer a setup file and all you have to do is exchange DVDs) and one type of product through a long long time, and all that for one simulator (not minding the versions now). All the while it was clear that Microsoft ended the Flight Simulator as we know it, I didn't see him move to anything else, but only started receiving those emails. Did I expect it? No... Did I wonder when I got them? No...

Besides, when I figure a company is going down, then I am reluctant of making any business with them. If Samsung were going down, would you buy a phone or a TV from them? I'm a store manager of an electronics store, and I know one thing: when things are going down, the worst thing you can do is discuss it with your customers.

Hi

Please can someone explain exactly what fsgenesis would do for FSX?

I consider myself a experienced user of FSX although late to the party (2009) I have since bought many many add ons as per my sig but fsgenesis never came on my radar and since reading this post I am now curious what I missed.

I checked the fsgenesis website out but am still non the wiser as it does not seem to describe the product and searched YouTube for vids but still don't totally get what it does.

I guess it is along the lines of UTX and GEX? Is that right?

Thanks

Keithy George

Guest Kosta

FSGenesis makes an advanced high resolution mesh, meaning your hills, mountains, valleys are more detailed in the geometrical sense, not textures.

Products are really good and really give the FSX that bit of an edge.

It has nothing to do with GEX or UTX. They all complement each other. FSG is mesh (detailed geometrical terrain), GEX is textures on that terrain (but NOT where they are placed) and UTX is cities, roads... (where what is placed = landclass).

They make meshes, which is the wireframe structure over which the terrain textures are draped in order to give you scenery with hills and valleys etc. A more accurate mesh means a more accurate profile for the terrain.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Actually I spent over a year out of work after being made redundant in 2008 just as we went into the recession and I got off my butt, went out and retrained and yes, 'got a job'. It took a while but I didn't sit at home and feel sorry for myself and I would rather have worked in MacBurgers then miss any child support payments. There are jobs out there if you really want them even if it means taking a big pay cut, starting at the bottom again and living accordingly. Don't presume I am speaking out of ignorance. And I have been recieving begging emails long before the current economic climate so don't give him that to use as an excuse. He's had long enough to sort his life out.

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Actually I spent over a year out of work after being made redundant in 2008 just as we went into the recession and I got off my butt, went out and retrained and yes, 'got a job'. It took a while but I didn't sit at home and feel sorry for myself and I would rather have worked in MacBurgers then miss any child support payments. There are jobs out there if you really want them even if it means taking a big pay cut, starting at the bottom again and living accordingly. Don't presume I am speaking out of ignorance. And I have been recieving begging emails long before the current economic climate so don't give him that to use as an excuse. He's had long enough to sort his life out.

He had a "job", that was better than a beginning position at MacBurgers. Why would he, or anyone else want to start at the bottom, if the possibility is there for staying in business. I've seen numerous internet business's (as well as websites) put out a notice regarding the current situations when funds are not up to sufficient levels.............and that's because it's easy to do on the internet.

L.Adamson

I wasn't aware that anybody here had suggested otherwise. I very deliberately only expressed my well wishes for Justin. I didn't really feel that any judging him or his business were necessary.

What are you talking about .. plus, I dont care what you feel. My point is valid. New innovative products is the way out of the trouble that fsgensis finds itself in.

What are you talking about .. plus, I dont care what you feel. My point is valid. New innovative products is the way out of the trouble that fsgensis finds itself in.

No that won't work, since a good many of the people that would buy these products, have the galaxy membership (I being one of them) which he has committed to make any product developed free to them. So he gains nothing from them, He's already had to renege on that commitment (Understandably) with his new product line, since a 3rd party supplier is involved. Even then though he sold it to the Galaxy Members at a steep discount. I think this is a case of "No good deed goes unpunished". He offered these memberships to make his products more affordable to his customer base, but by doing so he essentially lost them for future sales. It was bound to come back to bite him. I for one am sorry it did, and hope he finds his way out of this situation.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I do not mean to dig this up, a simple search led me here.

What is tje current position here now? Is it still as bad? Is the software that hard to install?

I realise this is over a year old now, but i feel like buying next europe mesh and dont want to if it does/has shut down.

I get that the site is still open and selling meshes, but has justin ever replied publicly about the state of these "affairs"? Money is tight for me especially and i certainly dont want to throw my little money that i can get on something tbats frankly going down.

Also with the "free" global mesh seems silly to me to spend $70 on a europe mesh and get a "worldwide" (albeit a lower res or whatever) free!!

I am the sort of guy tjat tries to take advantage of ofers going, but henerally if somethong seems to good to be true (free mesh) then it generally is!

FSGenesis is alive and well, just received an e-mail from Justin today.

His products are easy to install and reliable.

Even if he were to close up shop, as long as you back up any purchases you would have access to them for ever.

As for the value of the mesh, the free stuff is better than default, but nothing close to the payware stuff.

Justin has had to purchase the source data and that explains the cost.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif