Sign in to follow this  
Knottypine1979

Cub water landing

So I was messing around in Hawaii with the Cub once again because the Cub is pretty fun to fly. And also because today's aerocache was in Hawaii. The water just looked so tempting with my Cub I decided to play around a bit. I'm sure most have pulled a few stunts near the water surface.

While skimming the surface, dipping the wings and so on... I faked a landing on the water, wheels about half submerged. Apparently Flight counts this as an actual landing. Since I was on my 350th landing at the time, the achievement popped up counting it towards my goal of 500. Since I was already in 'screenshot taking mode' I managed to capture this. This was not even near a seaplane base, it was just in the middle of the water.

2012070400016.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Apparently the first touchdown counts as a landing!

That's not only possible in the Cub, it's required for a couple of the landing challenges in it. My only attempt in the Stearman thus far has resulted in a prompt flip into the water, but my descent was a little too rapid. I'm not sure the game really even sees the wheels of the other planes as able to interact with water at all.

I think that only amphibious airplanes can "land" on water. All other aircraft, such as the Maule, RV, Stearman, etc., will flip over on contact. If so, then the Cub is now an amphibious airplane in the Flight world! Just%20Kidding.gif

Best regards.

Luis

I had posted this a couple days ago. It is very possiable with the Cubby. Full power is required, I stayed on the surfave for a good 5 miles, even made some slow turns. Just poped the flaps down a notch and it just lifted off. So, here they are again.

Speaking of... Who says you can't fly a Cub inverted? You can if you're slightly nuts! :Shocked:

2012-7-5_22-16-57-543.jpg

Great capture there!

I tried rolling the Cub and the engine conks out! ^_^

Indeed, get it back over quick and fire her back up!

Part of the thrill.

Two of my photos on the subject: (Running medium settings so forgive the less than perfect graphics.)

SkimSun.jpg

SkimTurn-1.jpg

That's not only possible in the Cub, it's required for a couple of the landing challenges in it. My only attempt in the Stearman thus far has resulted in a prompt flip into the water, but my descent was a little too rapid. I'm not sure the game really even sees the wheels of the other planes as able to interact with water at all.

As Akula mentioned.

I just completed one challenge. 'Alaska - McGrath Ski Landing Challenge'

It says "Ski on the practice pond using tundra tires and stop on the shoreline."

and when the challenge starts it says..

'You will be landing by waterskiing your tires on a practice lake'

Apparently big fat tires allows for some low speed amphibious stuff.

I tried rolling the Cub and the engine conks out! ^_^

Best regards.

Luis

It does -- you have to carry a LOT of speed to carry that out.