Sign in to follow this  
bpsanborn

Strange Freezes and Graphic Objects

With no aerocaches to play with, I have been wandering from up the south at Annette Island to the Anchorage area landing at each airstrip along the way. Once at Anchorage the high airport density makes the strategy a little obsolete.

On the way, I have experienced some odd scenery bugs... some of them cause the screen to freeze as I pass through them or to make my system crash after passing through them. The first was a freeze as I was landing at one of the fields in lower Alaska. I forgot to write down the name of airport. As I was coming in on an easy approach to the runway, the game screen froze and I thought I would have to reboot and I took my hand off the stick. But after about 5-7 seconds later the screen starts moving again and my plane looks like it dropped out of an invisible wall and has moved on to where it should be 5-7 seconds later and is now lower than I want and I have to grab the stick to save it. It was like the plane passed through an invisible object and came out the other side.

The last two screen shots were taken this morning while approaching runway 16 at Elmendorf Air Force Base. As I approached a black rectangle appeared in the sky and as I approached closer, It appeared as a large black floating 2D rectangle. I was able to fly through it but after doing do... about 10 secs later... the screen froze and the speakers were making strange sounds and the only fix was a forced reboot.

I never experienced anything like this in Hawaii. Anybody else run into stuff like this

Brian

wierd. i havent seen anything like that. i have noticed lag spikes when people join and exit the game, but thats somethign else entirely.

I am on AMD/ATI Catalyst 12.3 using a ATI 4780 card with 1 GB of memory. Perhaps I should fall back to the last very stable AMD drivers. Someone on this forum stated that 12.1 was the best driver release.

Any opinions?

The card is probably the problem, but I have no idea. What are you settings? I may be able to help you if I know.

I am on AMD/ATI Catalyst 12.3 using a ATI 4780 card with 1 GB of memory. Perhaps I should fall back to the last very stable AMD drivers. Someone on this forum stated that 12.1 was the best driver release.

Any opinions?

I had the same problems. After installing CCC 12.4 the Catalyst Menu didn't appear anymore on screen. When playing MSF I suddenly get the blue screen (3 times, grr...), I never had that before in W7. I removed all the AMD stuff and installed 12.3 again. Till now MSF works fine.

I think it is indeed the AMD update (12.4/12.6) that causes problems with the game. Shame on AMD/ATI. I have a ATI Radeon 4790 card with 1 GB memory.

I have seen those black patches too. I am using an Nvidia card.

Never had problems with it. I don't think this has anything to do with GPU or drivers.

Fred.

With about 45 hours+ in Alaska, haven't seen that .

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

I encountered the mystery wall at Elmendorf, also. It rose very high and extended from the runway to a ridgeline far away. In my case it was yellow, not black, and was only visible from one side. Once I passed through it and looped back around, it was not visible. Flying through it had no effect on the Maule. Because it is not a consistent experience among the users, and because how it is rendered is inconsistent, it corroborates the previous comments that it appears to be related to the graphics controllers. I suspect there is an artifact in the code that the GPUs are interpreting in different manners.

Having been involved with the release of datacenter software products for years, I know that no software is ever perfect. Otherwise we would never need new versions, right? Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There is always one more bug. You balance the desire for perfection against the financial realities of development and testing costs.

Perhaps MS could get a lot of free testing by implementing awards for finding specific numbers of bugs. Change bug complaints into bug hunts.

Yo :)

You should check the Steam forum about bugs, Here is a topic with other players' pics about the exact same problem about some 2D shapes appearing in some positions. Loki has asked to post locations and pictures for debugging. It is not your card :rolleyes:

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2787689

Thanks for all the help on this. It is comforting to know I don't have serious problem with my system.

I think I will retro back to Catalyst 12.1 which where I was before these problems started. I'll see if that solves the problem.

Brian

The only strangeness with black things was when I was in a cloud and the windscreen went black. The external view was fine but the cockpit forward view was black but I could look left and right fine. I was also flying the RV at the time so maybe it's something with that plane? The only pauses I've had was when people enter or leave the game. The only crash I've had is when I flew off the map area to the west of Russia. No warning or strangeness just a crash to the desktop and a restart was fine. I have a fairly low-end, I can't remember the model but it was 60 bucks at Bestbuy, Nvidia card with 1gig and the latest MS drivers.

Fwiw,

I have about 145 hours in Flight , and have yet to see anything like this - black squares - or screen freezes...

I am running an EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 Ti graphic card, currently with 301.42 drivers. Was running a GTX 460 prior to that.

Thanks for all the help on this. It is comforting to know I don't have serious problem with my system.

I think I will retro back to Catalyst 12.1 which where I was before these problems started. I'll see if that solves the problem.

Brian

Why don't you try latest Catalyst? 12.6 I believe.

The Catalyst 12.6 driver is listed as a beta release on the AMD site. I am looking for more stability not more risk. Beta releases usually have fixes in them, but by definition are more buggy and less stable.

Brian