Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Why do you "flysim" MD-11?

I felt going to College for the first time, when I sat in the Captain seat:

"haaa, I know everything!! oh no, that is not working as expected... $#!^, I know nothing!!"

I felt going to College for the first time, when I sat in the Captain seat:

"haaa, I know everything!! oh no, that is not working as expected... $#!^, I know nothing!!"

I've had it for three weeks and still feel like that.

The 737NG (left the X out because I'm talking about the real plane too) does not automatically tune navaids like the ILS. It also does not have the automatic step climb (the pilot would have to input the new cruise level into the FMC's CRZ page and then execute after selecting the MCP altitude).

In the MD11 if you had an initial cruize of say, FL340 and wanted to Step Climb to FL360 and then FL380 over the course of a 7 or 8 hour trip, you could (shouldn't but can) just dial in FL380 on the Autopilot Mode Selector MCP.

The aircraft would climb to FL340 and hold that altitude. Once the computers calculate the fuel burned off would make FL360 more economical, the aircraft would climb to FL360.

It would make this climb even if all cockpit crew were asleep assuming the autopilot was on NAV1/2 and PROF (Vertical Profile).

Trent Hopkinson

Guest tupolev280

While the PMDG MD-11 has an amazing autopilot. The bad things come when you try to handly it, personally when I fly it by hand sometimes it get's struck and I must make very strong maneuvers to violently get it to a lower/higher pitch. It could be that the plane is auto trimming itself, or I don't really know... Could possibly be a bug or the MD-11 just isn't great with handflying.

Hi Tupolev,

If done right the MD-11 can be handflyed as easy as the NGX.

It get's difficult if you (accendially) deactivate LSAS and other systems, whic can easily happen if you disconnect the AP wrong, like pushing the AP disconnect bar 1&2 down. The disconnect bar will also disconnect LSAS, which is designed to help you, and in my eyes pretty nessescary for manual flight.

Maybe you want too create a new topic with some screenshots of the PFD and the controll pannel while you are handflying.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Hi Tupolev,

If done right the MD-11 can be handflyed as easy as the NGX.

It get's difficult if you (accendially) deactivate LSAS and other systems, whic can easily happen if you disconnect the AP wrong, like pushing the AP disconnect bar 1&2 down. The disconnect bar will also disconnect LSAS, which is designed to help you, and in my eyes pretty nessescary for manual flight.

Maybe you want too create a new topic with some screenshots of the PFD and the controll pannel while you are handflying.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan, I'm relatively new to the MD-11, but don't know anything abot the LSAS, or what we should do to not disable upon disengaging the AP...do you know where in the FCOM I could find something?

Guest tupolev280

Jonathan, I'm relatively new to the MD-11, but don't know anything abot the LSAS, or what we should do to not disable upon disengaging the AP...do you know where in the FCOM I could find something?

I have no problems disabling everything when handflying, but Jonathan is right. Even if you do not have the AP active nor autoflight, it will still give some problems when trying to handly it.

I remember completely disabling it by the disconnect bar certainly helps, but it looks like there is some kind of automation still. I will take her out for a spin soon and if it brings trouble. I'll post a new topic.

it looks like there is some kind of automation still.

The Longitudinal Stability Augmentation System is active. LSAS helps the pilot manually fly the aircraft by providing stability assistance. It also provides pitch attitude hold and limiting to -10 degrees down and 30 degrees up with no force on the control wheel, pitch rate dampening above 20,000 feet, automatic pitch trim, speed protection, and stall protection.

It is off when the A/P is engaged or below 100 AGL. It is not affected by the disconnect switches on the FCP.

what we should do to not disable upon disengaging the AP

Disconnect the autothrottle system by pressing the disengage switch on either thrust lever 1 or 3 or a custom key command. Disengage the autoflight system by pressing the disconnect switch on the horn of either control wheel twice or a custom key command.

do you know where in the FCOM I could find something?

Search the Systems manual for LSAS. It's on pages 277-278.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Guest tupolev280

Bank_Angle,

I supposed that is what happens, probably for some reason it prevents me from doing abrupt movements or something like that, or it's just there to make the journey smoother.

I have no problems with the airplane helping me to fly a stable flight, but I will have some time getting used to this as I'm a Tu-154M pilot where there is no such automation.

This may be a silly question, but you mean there is no way of completely disabling all the aircraft's automation and safety systems?

but you mean there is no way of completely disabling all the aircraft's automation and safety systems?

There are switches on the overhead panel to turn off the LSAS. And, if I remember correctly, you can completely turn off the stall/speed protections by using the disconnect switches on the FCP.

However, those switches are only used in non-normal procedures.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thanks Kenny. I'm slightly overwhelmed by manuals and acronyms, less than a week in, and haven't worked out how to disconnect the AP properly. Didn't expect it to be complicated, but it helps to have it explained!

Mike