Howdy folks

As title suggests, i am lookin for a psu(advice)

I have a p5n32esli mobo, and going to be replacing my psu on the off chance i may be getting errors due to it (you may have seen my other post about the constant bsod's which Jim (firehawk) has been so kind to help me with, now the problem is, i will be building my new rig just after the new year, and looking for a psu that will suit me now and can also be used for an asrock z77(most likely) mobo, but certainly a socket 1155,

I think my mobo is a 24 pin.

As Word Not Allowed has wrote in his guide, i am looking for an 80+silver modular at least, but unsure whether i can use it in my current mobo.

Kind regards

Paul

Anything by Corsair or Seasonic gets my vote. 750w is plenty unless you're going to run more than two graphics card. I use the Corsair TX 750 myself which is 80+ Bronze and is plenty good.

Hi swofford, thanks

Yh i kinda know what im goin for:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-corsair-hx-cmpsu-850hxuk-modular-90-eff-80-plus-silver-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx-v291-psu

I just want to check that this will be compatible with the mobo im on aswell as my new mobo? just i thouht new mobos aren't 24 pin, whereas my current board is.

Regards

Paul

Ah yeah will work fine the new board will have a 24 pin ATX as well as a 8 pin 12v connection.

Hey, thanks again,

just out of curiosity, whats the difference between atx and micro atx? im assuming the micro is a "smaller version" ?

whats the difference between atx and micro atx? im assuming the micro is a "smaller version" ?

you assume correctly... perfect question for wiki btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

i am lookin for a psu(advice)

"clean power" I think an extremely important part of the equation... that said, looking at newegg and looking for some "5-eggers". Examples would be the Corsair HX750 & HX850. I have the HX850 but have not ran it long enough to comment. Running an Enermax 1200W on a skulltrail system... seems no problems.

I used to run PC Power & Cooling exclusively... my fault I trashed one of their 1200W turbo-cool (over $500 at the time) which they graciously replaced... problem was the replacement units... I had 2 crap replacements (one with a loose pin on the 24-pin connector - lucky to find that... and another voltage problem) so at $40 a pop shipping back to them, I gave up and decided on that Enermax.

I highly recommend whatever you buy, not going cheap.

Hi Rob, thanks

I've just convinced the wife that i really "need" to spend over 100gbp on a psu, - needless to say she aint too excited so when i told her its a small price to pay with a system costing over 1300gbp, she is lookin for some "making it up to her"!!

The new rig will have to last me for around 5 years - this rig im on now is about 5-6 years old, and i think it cost about 1000gbp, so over that time less than 200 a year aint that bad, just the fact that you have to pay for it in one go.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Paul

hey manny thanks

I'll have a look around, although it seems the us is vastly cheaper than the uk, not just psu's but for everything pc related.

Ive resigned myself to be spending around 100gbp for one - although at the moment, it looks like my rig is going to have a sledgehammer attached to it in a very unattractive way, im wondering whether its worthwhile spending anything else on it and just biting the bullet till january.

Hi Rob, thanks

Welcome Paul... with all this talk of psu's I decided to relegate my HX850 to backup duty.

Wife definitely going to kill me when she sees I ordered this Corsair AX1200i... probably need someone to check on my welfare in a few hours or so... (Bimmercop... 10-16 @ location...)

Almost ordered this Enermax ERV1000EWT-G 1000W... would have taken less of a beating... but... :nea:

-Rob

Welcome Paul... with all this talk of psu's I decided to relegate my HX850 to backup duty.

Wife definitely going to kill me when she sees I ordered this Corsair AX1200i... probably need someone to check on my welfare in a few hours or so... (Bimmercop... 10-16 @ location...)

Almost ordered this Enermax ERV1000EWT-G 1000W... would have taken less of a beating... but... :nea:

-Rob

I just wouldnt tell her - you would probably be better saying you spent the money on hookers or something :P

Thats almost what i would spend on a graphics card!!

Thats almost what i would spend on a graphics card

The thing is... do you expect that graphics card to last you at least 5 years... Also if it fails, does it have the potential to bring down other system components...

Another consideration is the fundamental task the psu is expected to perform. It has it's fingers on everything.

Something I read many moons ago (which made sense) was one way to judge a psu was by the warranty it carried (the listed Enermax has a 5yr, the Corsair a 7yr).

Truth be told about the wife... she's pretty blasé about the whole thing... knows I have been planning an upgrade for some years now and it's a "alright if you're sure that is what you want to do". Sometimes I do wish she'd grab a frying pan to El Kabong me with.

The thing is... do you expect that graphics card to last you at least 5 years...lol yes it better as i couldn't afford another 350gbp Also if it fails, does it have the potential to bring down other system components..., i have no idea, could it?

Another consideration is the fundamental task the psu is expected to perform. It has it's fingers on everything.

Something I read many moons ago (which made sense) was one way to judge a psu was by the warranty it carried (the listed Enermax has a 5yr, the Corsair a 7yr).

Truth be told about the wife... she's pretty blasé about the whole thing... knows I have been planning an upgrade for some years now and it's a "alright if you're sure that is what you want to do". Sometimes I do wish she'd grab a frying pan to El Kabong me with. If my wife doesn't agree with me i would just sell her - in fact thats maybe not a bad idea, in fact im already thinking about how to word my advert - something along the lines of....... "for sale, - used woman, not bad at cooking and cleaning, "full service history :rolleyes: " only one owner from new, veiwing welcome, although does not come with "try before you buy" sold as seen! any reasonable offer considered!!! or part exchange for new fsx rig.

Also if it fails, does it have the potential to bring down other system components...

i have no idea, could it?

I think it is safe to say a graphics card failure would not harm other components...

Not true with the psu... personal experience there with one taking with it the mb, graphics & raid cards (creative soundcard survived... :blink: maybe due to all those capacitiors and the "sacrifice" of the other cards :unknw: ).