Sign in to follow this  
flyingnoob

which operating system is most advised?

Howdy folks,

As the title suggests, over the next couple of days im going to buy an ssd, and a new operating system, and was wondering what is the easiest/best/ to get? i am currently on xp32.

Im looking for ease of use, the least problems getting any fs products to work, utx, active sky etc etc, and also the easiest to confiure, also how much space (roughly) does the operating system take so i can work out whether to get a 64gb or 128Gb

Just out of curiousity, it isnt really related, but when i push my / (forward slash) i get the / "undo,copy,select,paste" box appearing in my top left corner and cant type until i remove it, any ideas?

Regards

Paul

I'd go with Windows 7 64 Bit combo, Vista had many problems in it's past, and it was Windows 7 that was the true successor of Windows XP.

Windows 8 is available, but I think people are reporting petite problems with FSX, however that was expected, because FSX is old and will show its age as we advance in technology.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Hi Deadly,

Thanks, out of curiosity can i ask what add ons you are running, as this is probably the main area that im asking about, ie utx, rex/active sky, other sceneries- airports and the likes.

Also can you tell me how much more storage w7 takes than xp(if it does take more) as at the moment im using 58gb in total, with just utx and pmdg, in reality im guessing a 64gb will be ample till january then i can buy another ssd/10k hdd for putting all my fs stuff on.

Regards

Paul

Hello

Put it this way:

XP32 is limited and badly outdated now, for example there is no Trim function in XP32 so you need to make sure your SSD supports DuraWrite/Garbage collection

Hello

Put it this way:

XP32 is limited and badly outdated now, for example there is no Trim function in XP32 so you need to make sure your SSD supports DuraWrite/Garbage collection

Hi mad dog, thanks.

ive no idea what trim function or dura write/garbage collection is,

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-ocz-vertex-3-25-sata-6gb-s-sandforce-ssd-read-550mb-s-write-500mb-s-85k-iops

Is most probably what im goin for, and i ahve pretty much decided on w764 retail.

The ssd i linked is also retail, is this a similar meaning to retail on the o/s - in other words its not tranferable if i get a new mobo?

Regards

Paul

Imo i still stick with windows 7 with 64 bit o/.s

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hello

Here is some info on why Trim is important for SSD's, XP32 is too outdated to support it natively

http://thessdreview....n-ssd-primer/3/

Wow, that is quite overwhelming, :unsure:

So the ssd i linked has "Performance Optimization: TRIM (requires OSsupport)" which is fine, so im assuming windows 7, supports that.

Also i meant to say "retail IS transferable"

quote "XP32 is limited and badly outdated now, for example there is no Trim function in XP32 so you need to make sure your SSD supports DuraWrite/Garbage collection" unquote i dont see that with the ssd i linked

All i see is "produces similar benefits to the TRIM command whether or not TRIM is present"

Also "The difference between background and foreground GC is less obvious in consumer-level drives where there tends to be a lot of idle time and endurance isn’t as critical, but it is more obvious in enterprise-class drives, where writes occur all the time and duty cycles are longer" ok so i dont really need to worry about that, correct?

Clearly, its not just about sata 1,2 or 3 lol.

thanks for the link and the info, although my heads not any clearer.

The main reason i ask most of what i ask is because when i google stuff i get totally lost in the mass of information out there, and get distracted what i was actually looking for, what im meaning is, how does one know what to look for when they dont know WHAT to actually look for.

I could barely find a house in a haystack let alone a needle.

:lol: Kind regards

Paul

Edit : thanks pete.

going to buy an ssd, and a new operating system, and was wondering what is the easiest/best/ to get? i am currently on xp32.

I'd go with Windows 7 64 Bit

Another vote for Windows 7 64 Bit (I think most here would say that)... Although I have not used personally (oh how I hate advice when the person has absolutely no experience... but I have good reason here... yet I digress)... I just bought the "pro" version for a new build (sitting on the worktable now). My son has upgraded from XP to Win 7 64bit Ultimate and thoroughly enjoys it. I have never heard a bad word about Win 7 in terms of stability or ability as an OS. I never buy an OS until the SP1 release (which we have past here)... plus the "fact" Win 7 was supposed to be a "patched" or "fixed" Vista.

ive no idea what trim function or dura write/garbage collection is,

As Mad dog mentioned Trim (etc.) it would be a good thing for you to become familiar with what those functions do / help SSDs.

The ssd i linked is also retail, is this a similar meaning to retail on the o/s - in other words its not tranferable if i get a new mobo?

No... not similar meaning. The OS will have a user license... not the drive. I think the distinction here is:

Retail: Boxed, instruction manual, mounting screws, SATA cable etc. Items the manf. normally provides as opposed to

OEM: Where you could get the drive sent to you "bare" (just the drive in bubble wrap, for example).

Just out of curiousity, it isnt really related, but when i push my / (forward slash) i get the / "undo,copy,select,paste" box appearing in my top left corner and cant type until i remove it, any ideas?

In Firefox (for me) the / brings up the "Find" box.

======================================

One other thing I would do is have a look at: NickN's Windows 7 Tuning Guide (ignore the XP stuff of course).

And have a look at this Memory Timings and Speed Thread

Both the above at SimForums.

I would also recommend you take a look at Word Not Allowed's Software & Hardware Guide for FSX because after reading, you will see he has put quite a bit of time / thought / energy into that guide.

If / when you see conflicting info, then you'll have to experiment which is better for your system.

-Rob

Another vote for Windows 7 64 Bit (I think most here would say that)... Although I have not used personally (oh how I hate advice when the person has absolutely no experience... but I have good reason here... yet I digress)... I just bought the "pro" version for a new build (sitting on the worktable now). My son has upgraded from XP to Win 7 64bit Ultimate and thoroughly enjoys it. I have never heard a bad word about Win 7 in terms of stability or ability as an OS. I never buy an OS until the SP1 release (which we have past here)... plus the "fact" Win 7 was supposed to be a "patched" or "fixed" Vista. windows 7 it is for me then,

As Mad dog mentioned Trim (etc.) it would be a good thing for you to become familiar with what those functions do / help SSDs. I will do my very best to try get my head around it.

No... not similar meaning. The OS will have a user license... not the drive. I think the distinction here is:

Retail: Boxed, instruction manual, mounting screws, SATA cable etc. Items the manf. normally provides as opposed to

OEM: Where you could get the drive sent to you "bare" (just the drive in bubble wrap, for example).

In Firefox (for me) the / brings up the "Find" box.

======================================

One other thing I would do is have a look at: NickN's Windows 7 Tuning Guide (ignore the XP stuff of course).

And have a look at this Memory Timings and Speed Thread

Both the above at SimForums.

I would also recommend you take a look at Word Not Allowed's Software & Hardware Guide for FSX because after reading, you will see he has put quite a bit of time / thought / energy into that guide.

If / when you see conflicting info, then you'll have to experiment which is better for your system.

-Rob

Hi rob, thanks,

Yes ive been reading kostas guide, and used almost all of it but atm my rig isnt running right whatsoever due to many bsod's, fsx random crashes etc etc, so my ssd and new o/s is a stab in the dark at my o/s being corrupt in many ways and responsible (and i do not have access to my original xp disc and product key due to some tech monkey not returning it after reinstalling windows for me 18 months ago.

My / key problem has somehow fixed itself ?? ive no ideas why/how though, as when i pressed it it ave me a right mouse click action (undo/copy/paste/select all, dialogue box) but thats now working ok.

Kostas guide is amazing yes, and although its great for people who have knowledge about ssd's and the likes, its not very informative knowing what i need to know about ssd's (no fault of Word Not Allowed btw, just that its aimed at people who do have basic knowedge and understandings of things, if it wasnt raised in this topic, i would still have no idea what im to do). and would just have purchased any ssd.

The links for Nickn's tuning guide and alot of other web pages for tuning, tweaking, overclocking have been saved in a draft email, so that i can easily access them when the time comes - ie when my new o/s etc etc is in.

when i meant about the oem and retail, i was under the impression(for the o/s anyway) that oem was tied to a mobo whereas the retail can be used if one needs to install a new mobo.

Yes it may be i have a post in every topic possible, but purely because i may need help in almost every topic, especially as i have been away from simming for a few years.

Kindest regards

Paul

that oem was tied to a mobo whereas the retail can be used if one needs to install a new mobo.

aha ok sry thanks for the clarification... I do believe that is correct but not 100% sure about that.

Win7 64 Pro really opened up a whole new FSX world for me anyway but that is my vote.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Hi dave, I will be getting w7 now, but it will just be the home premium, as the 8gb capacity is more than enough for fsx, and the compuetr wont be used for another else except for that and internet (no video editing or that).

Regards

Paul

I have a 64gb SSD for my OS (Win 7 64) and a 256gb SSD for FSX. I have no idea what a trim function or dura write is because my OS takes care of all that for me. I just installed the SSD's, the OS, then FSX, and was good to go.

I would highly recommend installing FSX and then try just Word Not Allowed's guide. See where that takes you first. You might not have to go any further and could save yourself a lot of unnecessary tweaking.

Hi Fatback,

Thanks,

I will follow kostas guide when im readyfor the tuning etc, i am going to order my os today and my ssd over the next week or so, when i know which one im going for.

I also seen a guide by nickn on s/f about the best way for installing things from start to finish including bios' windows updates, drivers etc etc which i will read thoroughly again, then i will work on fsx itself,

The plan is my os and fsx will go on the same drive just now, (as i total 58.0GB) then come january, i will just uninstall fsx and addons from the ssd and reinstall them on another ssd (or ghost it, either way).

Does anyone know how much more/less win7 takes up that winxp?

Regards

Paul