Sign in to follow this  
flyingnoob

quick question on cpu's

Howdy follks,

I realise some chips "clock" better than others, but is there a time when one would out perform another?

ie at first release or whatever, or the first million chips.

I see that some write asking what batch number another person has got, what difference does this make? its not as if i am likely to get a good chip with a batch number "########" like joe next door who can get 5.0Ghz on his.

Regards

Paul

It's basically a lottery. There are many factors that determine how well a CPU will clock. Sometimes chips from the same batch will have inherited similar advantages but you are far from guaranteed that two chips from the same batch will reach the same max clocks at the same voltage.

Normally the manufacturers refine their production over time that might help a bit. But it's still a huge lottery.

Thanks saab,

I realise i make little sense when posting, as explained over on simforms, sometimes i only get 10-15 seconds of typing time before my pc crashes, although its been not too bad today (?).

im just about to completely reinstall windows now that i ahve a replacement disc returned to me after an agonising 18 months of waiting, so im heading over to simforums to check nickn's install guide, i see he has done one for 64bit o/s im hoping that 32bit is the same.

Thanks also for replying.

Regards

Paul

sometimes i only get 10-15 seconds of typing time before my pc crashes

Anyone else get a good chuckle out of this? (dang... where's the green up arrows when you need them...)

Poor guy... you must be becoming a very skilled / quick typist.

Btw I think you would be better off with the 64bit version (cannot see any dis-agreeing with that)... unless it's a cost issue. And shouldn't be any differences in the install between 32 & 64 bit.

simforms, sometimes i only get 10-15 seconds of typing

My belly still the proverbial bowl full of jelly (rumbling w/ chuckling) and definitely have to see what you said there. :-)

Hope you get things "right as rain" shortly.

Anyone else get a good chuckle out of this? (dang... where's the green up arrows when you need them...)

Poor guy... you must be becoming a very skilled / quick typist.

Btw I think you would be better off with the 64bit version (can see any dis-agreeing with that)... unless it's a cost issue. And shouldn't be any differences in the install between 32 & 64 bit.

My belly still the proverbial bowl full of jelly (rumbling w/ chuckling) and definitely have to see what you said there. :-)

Hope you get things "right as rain" shortly.

Hey rob,

yh yh har de har har lets all have a good old laugh.......actually todays been not to bad, its only crashed 4-5 times ALL day, ive managed to dodge back and forth between here and simforums.

But thats how its been, by the time i get booted, unplug and plug in my wireless adaptor, get onto the net and get into the last page i was on, then i get about 10-15 seconds of typing then BAM! games over! i have to start ALL over again!

Im just going to order an ssd shortly and windows 7 - strangely after consulting a lawyer about this dude not returning my xp install, low and behold within 2 hours he returned a copy of windows xp32 sp1 with a product key!! - i felt like snapping it in front of him, or smashing it over his head!!

Well enjoy your lauh and i hope you dont choke on your tea - or even your jelly belly B)

Well enjoy your lauh and i hope you dont choke on your tea - or even your jelly belly

hey man I laugh at myself and my problems so welcome to the club. You should realize I am laughing at the problem... NOT you or the crap you are dealing with... just the stupid problem.

I and was very sincere about hoping you get things straightened out shortly (trying to help out in the other post when you asking about installing Win 7) as I know (from decades of experience) these problems can be maddening.

-Rob

p.s. drinking my starbucks mocha... but a cup of darjeeling waiting its turn next to me. :P

lol, sorry if i seemed snappy, i certainly didnt mean to come across that way - im even lauhing myself at what you wrote, and i didnt think you were meaning you were lauhing at "me" - at times, ive even had to open up notepad - "save it as" even though its empty(so that an empty clipboard saves on my desktop), so that i can then type 2 lines, then quickly hit "save" so that if it crashes i have at least ot some typing done!! my wife is going mental at the constant beeps of it rebooting and me saying "f*&$~n thing again!!!" she is going to bounce something of my head any minute!!

I am trying to catch up on homewok of people giving me tips and advice and feel like im constantly chasin my tail - even my letter "g" is bugering up at times(even though its a new board).

I do appreciate ALL the help im getting even thouh it appears "im not listening"

Enjoy your tarbucks - and please DONT choke on it as im sure i will need you again!! :huh:

As i am bald aready i am pullin my skin of my head and almost through to the skull!!!!

Once again, many thanks

Paul

and i didnt think you were meaning you were lauhing at "me"

Good because I consider that very bad "karma"... moment I laugh at someone - I'll experience something worse. :Big Grin:

Btw I saw the title of your thread at SimForums... did you confuse what I said with the two Nick links and the third... the Word Not Allowed Hardware Guide? Word Not Allowed's is posted (in red) at the top of this forum... excellent read (i think i said) and i'm excited to try his specifics.

(and yes I'd be pulling the rest of what's left of my hair out if having some crazy problem like yours)

Take your time (it does take time to sort thru it all)... try this and that... you'll be alright... it just takes a bit a work and patience.

Good because I consider that very bad "karma"... moment I laugh at someone - I'll experience something worse. :Big Grin:

Btw I saw the title of your thread at SimForums... did you confuse what I said with the two Nick links and the third... the Word Not Allowed Hardware Guide? no, ive been thru kostas guide many times, Word Not Allowed's is posted (in red) at the top of this forum... excellent read (i think i said) and i'm excited to try his specifics.,nicks guide was what i was looking for, nick kindly found it for me - it was about a graphics card hardware post he wrote about i was trying to find again - (if that was the post your referring to) i am getting around a bit i know. to the point im confusin myself where im writing and what about!

(and yes I'd be pulling the rest of what's left of my hair out if having some crazy problem like yours)

Take your time (it does take time to sort thru it all)... try this and that... you'll be alright... it just takes a bit a work and patience.

i feel as if i dont have time, i want this all sorted asap, even just for general internet use.

thanks oz