Sign in to follow this  
Bad_T

AS2012 'prevent cloud redraws' option

hello all

finally could run fsx with a somewhat semi-decent computer a few weeks ago and so i almost immediatly bought as2012.

the main reason i bought it is because i hate all the 'cloud popping' you get with fsx by default, and i read good reviews about AS2012. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't regret buying it as it has so many nice features, but to be honest sometimes i get a bit frustrated with it hehe. (yeah so much i finally could find the strenght to create a thread on this forum haha :lol: )

for example i did a little test flight tonight : TFFR -> TFFF

departure weather : all clear

destination weather : cloudy, wx report shows multiple layers of clouds at TFFF

- so I start from TFFR, weather forecast says all clear so I'm not surprised to see no clouds

- but then ALL the flight until the destination i have zero clouds (like seen in the first picture)

- then if when close to TFFF i press the 'Refresh button' in the AS2012 interface the clouds magically appear as they should (second picture). It's a bit disappointing, should't those clouds appear automatically whilst progressing into the flight ?

http://i49.tinypic.com/de5oo.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/vp9dg8.jpg

should i remove the 'prevent cloud redraws' option like suggested in other threads, but wouldn't that kind of action defeat the purpose of this program if then you have all the standard 'cloud popping' fsx has by default ?

i could also maybe try the official support, but it's hard to replicate the same flight and same conditions, and maybe here a lot of guys are reading and some have had similar issues in the past and found solutions

thanks for reading and sorry if it's already been discussed 100 times, believe me i searched a lot though the documentation and forums, but i just can't find any decent solution, btw english is not my main language so sorry if's not clear enough)

my AS2012 settings

- dwc mode with 'prevents cloud redraws', 'force destination wx = false', 'enhance route = true'

- fsuipc 4.853 (i had same prob with official 4.84)

I just bought AS2012 yesterday. I do not have FSUIPC. I do not have that problem with cloud rendering while "prevent cloud redraws" is checked and DWC is checked.

thanks for your input

i really like this 'prevent cloud redraws' options as it seems to stop the annoying 'cloud popping'

but actually after further testing it seems my problems are not really caused by this option, i tried all sorts of settings (even without fsuipc) and the cloud depiction just doesn't change from departure to destination unless i do a manual refresh.

i know some people have the same problems (for example here : http://forum.avsim.net/topic/381780-why-the-need-to-manually-refresh-wx/), but well i guess there is no solution. It probably works for most who can enjoy a departure with full clouds overcast and an arrival without clouds (or the opposite), otherwise this product wouldn't be so popular.

anyway i have learned not to worry about it, and I just try to enjoy the program like that (i still love all others features and textures)

So much of this depends on what you are looking at. What I mean is - I do not notice what you are describing BUT I am not looking for it either! Meaning I am busy flying, watching the instruments, etc and yes, I check weather at destination but I don't immediately look to see if AS is currently depicting same. At what point the weather changes to destination, I couldn't tell you as I don't monitor it and I don't care. It changes before I get there - that's all I care about.

Just like frame rates - some people keep the counter open all the time and spend more time looking at fluctuations and less time enjoying the flight. I don't care what my FPS are as long as I have a smooth, stutter free flight.

Just depends on your focus -

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

you're right vgbaron, and that's exactly why i said in my last sentence 'anyway i have learned not to worry about it'

on the other hand you can't be surprised that if someone buys a weather addon the main thing he's going to check is if the weather depicted in the game matches with what the pre-flight briefing and metar say hehe :P