Sign in to follow this  
Talek

Can we pilot a real 737 if we can

Almost all my flights in full flight sims have been single handed, even in three crew cockpits though that can be a real challenge. And not a checklist in sight either. So I'm used to it. However I've learned most when I've been flying with a rated pilot. So easy to teach yourself bad habits in a simulator.

Yeah, but once again I think the thread is about doing this in ideal conditions. Taking over at 3am heading for Innsbruck isn't exactly ideal. Clearly only an experienced and fully trained pilot can do such a thing. But on a clear day with no terrain and a long runway? I think it's a possibility.

Sure it is! But only 8 of 100 people will make it and it'd really depend on the region of this world where this would happen.

A few weeks ago I did quite well in a LAVEL-D MD-11F sim, even at 'not ideal' conditions but it's still a looooong way to the controls of real deal...

there are many simmers who were lucky enough to be able to give it a try in a real simulator [you can get a place in the BA simulator for instance] From what i've read they mostly did okay. Both taking off and landing. Even with a little crosswind. What we simmer do wrong for instance is taxiing to fast. That said - it's obvious that there is a little more to know about flying: the plane it self navigating, calculating etc etc. Never the less, having been able to stear real aircraft a bit [with out ppl] I've noticed the feel of the real thing is far more relaxed then the sim thing. And in a way much more easy because you not only see what you are doing but feel it as well. Just the odd bumps in the air could make you feel a bit awkward, esspecialy in turns as you think you fall down...

Taking quotes out of context as usual, I see.

He actually said:

"So yes, in the unfortunate event of a pilot and co-pilot getting food poisoning on their fish dinner and passing out, unless there is another well trained pilot on board, the odds of that airplane making safely back on the ground is almost none."

...as in, the odds of that aircraft becoming a flaming hole in the ground is very high.

And you post with your overbearing sarcasm as usual.

At this point I think you argue just for the sake of argument. You enjoy always having to prove the most insignificant points and win mini-arguments rather then discuss the main point of the thread, which was if an NGX sim pilot could pilot a real NG. For most people, the answer is no.

I think I'm done quoting anything you say in the future and responding, because it always comes down to the same thing. Sarcasm from you and novel-length posts in an effort to always be right.

Anyway...moving on....

Now MY question is whether A2A's Mustang gets me back down safely in a real one, given that I'm already a pilot with 1000's of hours in light aircraft (airliners aren't much help there!) :)

I would be interested in this aswell, even though I am not a RW pilot. I made a smooth landing damn near close centerline at Doncaster, UK last night with 1/8 mile visibilty and 10-15mph crosswinds in my A2A P-51. I doubt any RW P-51 pilots would attempt that in those conditions.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I would be interested in this aswell, even though I am not a RW pilot. I made a smooth landing damn near close centerline at Doncaster, UK last night with 1/8 mile visibilty and 10-15mph crosswinds in my A2A P-51. I doubt any RW P-51 pilots would attempt that in those conditions.

Try the DCS one. I do have RW trail dragger (not p51 though sadly) time and I reckon it's the closest to the real thing out there.

Anyone can fly a plane, come on it's really easy, even I can do it.

Landing one though, is a very different matter. If I compare two real world types I have experience on, the PA-28 and PA-18, I even take at least half an hour with a instructor before switching between the two, the landing techniques and fast ground handling are that different that I need to know I have adapted back. I might just about hit a runway with an airliner, that's if I ever managed to find the airport.

My dilemma in the crew all ate the fish scenario would be, should I let the sim pilot kill us all, or should I do it....

I should add though that my view isn't intended to take anything away from sims, they are great fun and we all learn about aviation. Got to be good in my book. In my experience they can also help a great deal with real world flying in many many ways. One thing it never did help me with though was landing. I learn to land a plane in the real world, now I'm not bad at landing them most of the time in a sim!

In FSX you can fly perfectly staight with +/- 0 ft. on the VSI - in real life there is no such thing like level flight, you will find yourself trimming the aircraft and making small adjustments so you can hold the altitude with + or - 50 feet of space.

In FSX, you got your eyes all the time on the instruments and are basically flying IFR - in RL you have to look out, you have to use landmarks for visual refference if you want to do a good coordinated turn or a chandelle.

I don't think perfectly level flight occurs frequently in FSX either, especially if realistic weather is being used. As someone mentioned, you usually wouldn't need to hold altitude manually in large jetliners. For turns, you have the flight path vector (FPV) as a reliable reference.

In any case, you have the flight director cuing you during normal, automation-prepared flight. Most B737 turns are either performed by the autopilot or with assistance from the flight director.

Being a pilot, I think the answer to this question will vary. I can say however, that flying a C172 in FSX (no matter how good it is) will never be the same as flying a C172 in real life. I think the same would apply in the case of just about any aircraft.There are just too many variables in the real world that FSX will never be able to simulate. However, using high end products such as PMDG and others, can help you get better acquainted with the systems and layout of the cockpit. This in itself is a huge advantage.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Ok, I just had to say it:

"Yup, right to the scene of the crash site, and I bet we'll beat the paramedics by 20 minutes!" (line from a famous comedian, "Tater-Salad"!)

A friend of mine is retired USAF, and is an active 737 pilot, it's all about systems knowledge, situational awareness, and "balls". You'll never know until you're in that situation....

Perfect conditions when on approach, winds, weather, systems, and all of the other unknown variables that can turn in moment?

I'd raise my hand if I had to.

And you post with your overbearing sarcasm as usual.

At least you know it's me and not some ghost writer I hired. There's something to be said for consistency...

At this point I think you argue just for the sake of argument. You enjoy always having to prove the most insignificant points and win mini-arguments rather then discuss the main point of the thread, which was if an NGX sim pilot could pilot a real NG. For most people, the answer is no.

I've stated in multiple threads that I often play Devil's Advocate. In this case, however, even the initial post asked for opinions and why or why not. With the exception of my side tangent sim certification argument (where, despite it being somewhat related, I was wrong), and the quip at Mr. Negative, all of my points have related in some way to the issue at hand: could a simmer pull off flying a real 737. As such, I'm really not sure where the comment about me not discussing the main point of the thread fits in...

For many of the people here, I'd actually argue that they'd survive the incident for the same reasons I've stated over and over: flying is flying. It's not at all difficult until things go wrong. The OP's initial question wasn't: can we pilot a real 737 if we had the chance, even in the worst conditions? It was simply: could we do it? As such, I'm assuming that the crew has run off, leaving only a simmer at the controls. Everything else is just standard flying.

I think I'm done quoting anything you say in the future and responding, because it always comes down to the same thing. Sarcasm from you and novel-length posts in an effort to always be right.

Anyway...moving on....

...which is funny, because you didn't actually quote me. You quoted the other guy...

Kyle Rodgers

At the end of the day all that matters is if everyone survived and you can always replace an airplane if it got badly damaged during landing, its getting everyone onboard back alive that counts.

"Can we land a real A320.." - No need, it'll land itself :P :LMAO:

Sure it is! But only 8 of 100 people will make it and it'd really depend on the region of this world where this would happen.

A few weeks ago I did quite well in a LAVEL-D MD-11F sim, even at 'not ideal' conditions but it's still a looooong way to the controls of real deal...

If the question is can it be done then just one person succeeding is enough to prove it can. If the question is can it be done under all conditions and into any airport then that's raising the bar so high some professional pilots might fail.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If the question is can it be done then just one person succeeding is enough to prove it can. If the question is can it be done under all conditions and into any airport then that's raising the bar so high some professional pilots might fail.

But it does not mean that having 'flown' the NGX is a requirement for that, it depends on the character.

You know, everyting is possible.

But it does not mean that having 'flown' the NGX is a requirement for that, it depends on the character.

You know, everyting is possible.

Obviously, we would have to draw up a set of rules to ensure only someone with no previous aviation experience and no obvious flying aptitude could attempt to validate the theory.

ki9cAAb.jpg