Sign in to follow this  
flyingnoob

virgin install

Hey folks, i am looking to compile a list of whats needed and whats not when it comes to using my pc for flight sim only (maybe a little internet) but thats all.

I have no idea where to start except things like c++ (whatever that is) and i know i need service pack 1, but i dont want any unnecessary stuff at all.

I have no idea what updates to allow and what i dont need, so if a few of you could chime in here, it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Ensure that your video card drivers are updated.

I would recommend a few utilities. I run Advanced SystemCare, CCleaner, and Smart Defrag prior to every flight in order to maintain a clean and optimized system. There are payware alternatives such as O&O, but as far as I am concerned, these three freeware utilities are elegant, intuitive, and reliable.

Adobe Reader is convenient for reading PDF files, unless you plan to use an iPad or other mobile device to do so. A download manager such as FlashGet is also convenient for downloading large files reliably. If you want to watch replays without incorrect animations, I highly recommend FS Recorder.

Two essential stability tweaks many people recommend are:

HIGHMEMFIX=1 in FSX.cfg, which largely eliminates aircraft graphics rendering (“skeleton”) issues.

UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX main folder, which largely eliminates memory insufficiency/usage errors (e.g., after long periods of flight, using menus too frequently, etc.).

For specific instructions, please reference the appropriate sections of Word Not Allowed's Guide (use Find in your browser).

Hi Zowen, thanks.

I have a list already for the install orders of chipsets, g/cards, ssd's etc etc

I also meant to say, that its really only the windows software and updates.

I may/may not install ccleaner, as i will have 2 ssd's 1 for O/S and 1 for fsx. and a defrag isn't that important.

I will be following Word Not Allowed's/nickn's tweaks and i am aware of the dll fix for the drop down CTD's

Regards

Paul

I use FSX Gold, so I did not have to worry about service packs.

Because you seem to be well-prepared, I would suggest proceeding with the installation procedures described in NickN's Guide. I do not think you will run into any serious issues, as installation shouldn't be that complicated or painful. If you do run into issues, you can always ask for support specifically.

Both Advanced SystemCare and CCleaner are useful for general system optimization and registry cleaning. Since you use SSDs, you are correct that defragmentation is less relevant.

Hi Owen, thanks,

Lol i am far from prepared.

I know i dont want excel/word/office etc etc downloaded and/or installed from either the disc or ms website, but really thats all i knew.

I was hoping i could get info on what KB's to/not to install. I am sure there are a few hat know what/what not to install

I have installed XP on my old machine a few times, but didn't really know what i was doing, and must have done it right by pure chance.

Do i need to create a partition? i also know about sean websters ssd optimization, so have that bookmarked.

I just want to get this right as trying to get help when im doing it in real time might not be that easy.

Regards

Paul

Lol i am far from prepared.

I know i dont want excel/word/office etc etc downloaded and/or installed from either the disc or ms website, but really thats all i knew.

I was hoping i could get info on what KB's to/not to install. I am sure there are a few hat know what/what not to install

I have installed XP on my old machine a few times, but didn't really know what i was doing, and must have done it right by pure chance.

Do i need to create a partition? i also know about sean websters ssd optimization, so have that bookmarked.

I just want to get this right as trying to get help when im doing it in real time might not be that easy.

I would suggest contacting Jim (firehawk44). He knows a lot about the technical intricacies of FSX.

I personally think you shouldn't over-stress, and that the installation will probably not be as complicated and risky as you imagine, but at this point, Jim can probably help you more than I can.

I think you should put the pc together, Paul, put the specs and any overclock information in your profile at the left side, so we know what you're talking about, and then post back here for some advice that is going to mean something. If you're going to be following those two guides - you will get those answers as you do your installation.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response, i will do that.

My thinking was - it would have been easier to ask in advance and prepare rather than trying to get responses while i am actually doing it and having to wait 3 hours for a response that may even never come.

I wrote here just now as at the moment i was looking for windows update info only.

I have read nickn's tweaks page but it doesnt say much about what updates are needed/not needed etc.

Owen, thanks again.

Hopefully he will see this.

Yes - you need Windows Updates, Paul - just make sure your set the configuration to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them", then - when WU has some ready - you can do it at your convenience - not in the middle of a flight! The other option to "Download updates, but let me choose whether to install them is also a good option. On a similar vein, I might suggest you download and inst MS Security Essentials, as it is as good and reliable as any other retail a/v software on the market, and it's definition files are updated regularly via the same Windows Update process. Note - disable Windows Defender through "Services" after MS SE is installed.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yes - you need Windows Updates, Paul - just make sure your set the configuration to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them", then - when WU has some ready - you can do it at your convenience - not in the middle of a flight! The other option to "Download updates, but let me choose whether to install them is also a good option. On a similar vein, I might suggest you download and inst MS Security Essentials, as it is as good and reliable as any other retail a/v software on the market, and it's definition files are updated regularly via the same Windows Update process. Note - disable Windows Defender through "Services" after MS SE is installed.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks again.

I always set my updates to "notify me" and i download and install when i am ready, there was nothing more annoying than getting the "computer needs to restart before changes take effect" - or even better - "the computer will restart in 60 seconds" when on finals etc etc.

I use mse just now as it is, and windows defender is disabled, i know about they parts, i was meaning things like MS office,word etc etc - the usual garbage that microsoft want to give you when first installing windows.

As it is, i will leave it and allow all to be updated(i know to do the restarts whether it asks or not) just to make sure they are installed properly anyway.

regards

Paul

Hi again, Paul:

My feeling on MS Office products is - that FSX should have its` own drive, period.

... and that drive should be an SSD if possible, a WD Velociraptor, as second choice, with most any 7200 or 10,000 rpm drives being fine as third choice.

MS Office? Its` own default spot on the C:, I suppose, if you want it on the pc. One can't write and fly at the same time, so it doesn't matter.

The caveat for "other apps" is that you need somewhere to store the addons, licensing, tools, utilities, that abound the fs world - like:-

AddonConverterX (plus the Purchase Docs), downloaded scenery files (plus the Purchase Docs), downloaded aircraft files (plus the Purchase Docs), downloaded ENBSeries, flight calculators, AutoThumbNail, AirportDesignEditor, SweetFX, CCleaner, Acronis Backup, FS Tips, FSBuild (plus the Purchase Docs), FSUIPC (plus the Purchase Docs), TweakFS, VCRain, Halo, RCv4X (plus the Purchase Docs), DXTBmp, EditVoicePack, REX source (plus the Purchase Docs), ActiveSky Essentials (plus the Purchase Docs), MyTrafficX ...... SP1, SP2..etc.,

and so on - so - another drive - make this one a 1.5 - 3 TB biggee, such that you can store copious quantities of files.

Minimum - for the OS - 300 GB, Storage - 1.5 - 3.0 TB, FSX 200 - 500 GB.

Hope this helps. :lol:

Hi Paul,

Yeah it helps.

In 6 years i have only used just short of 70GB of my 250Gb hdd, all i use it for is my 350D photos(currently around 6000 photos) and the like, and currently my fs install is 20Gb of that.

Granted when i am built i will have (hopefully) alot more scenery, although i am not a fan of "flat" photoscenery, so its only going to be UTX, maybe fsglobal or the likes, and a few airports maybe, although i will have fs2crew, my MD-11, active sky, my ndac and a couple of other small things, on my 256GB ssd, so yeah its 64Gb - OS and 256Gb for fs, all addons etc, all my product keys, payware documents, etc will be stored in "my documents" on my c drive(if possible, which i realise is nothing space wise).

i have no idea about scenery/airport design stuff so

I am VERY limited to £1300GBP, there is no way my wife would let me go above that!, and given prices here i think i have selected the best of what i can afford, - if down the line in a couple of years time, i need to upgrade my 256Gb ssd then i shall, when funds are available.

for info sake here is my list:

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/7029e087211c4aa3a1e8800cd1901798

I still have my ram and thermal paste to buy as im still unsure about which ram.

Thanks for the advice re the windows stuff, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Paul