Hi Paul

if i try get to my cfg file, i keep gettng "access denied"

c/users/paul/appdata - gives me denied

c/docs and settings/ - access denied

i noticed there is padlocks on the folder icons, can you help?

Also, on the page file section, - i have 2 drives - C - my o/s and

"F" my fsx so im guessing the 3072 goes in the drive "c" still?

i didnt want to go any further till i saught help

thanks

Hi Paul:

Do you have UAC still turned on? If so - click on the Start button, and put "UAC" in the search box which opens above it. UAC will then open, showing you the slider. This should be at the bottom. I don't know why you should have this issue at all. Have you had to re-install Windows a second time on this machine??

Here's one answer, it's called "Take Ownership". Just download and unzip it, there are two files inside. Just dble-click on the "InstallTakeOwnership" file. This will then add this command to your Rt-Click Menu, so that when you right-click on any folder or file, choosing that option will change the permissions on that folder and all files inside it. Great little tool.

"C:\Documents and Settings" is a hold-over from XP (I think), as Windows 7 uses "C:\Users\{your_name}\My Documents" instead, and yes - it has a padlock on it. Take Ownership will allow you to open it if you want, but it's just the same info as the C:\Users\ folder.

Normally Paul this arrangement would be used if one had three drives, with say, 100MB swap on the C:\, so that it has some swap space as it starts, then 3 gig on a second drive, say a storage drive, with nothing on the FSX drive.

Having only two drives, I think it would be better if just left on the C:\, but with "Custom" selected and 3072 (MB) in each (Max & Min) box. This will make it clean, so that the OS doesn't manage it, while not interfering with FSX.

Hope this helps, All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul, thanks,

UAC is at the bottom and yes i installed w7 a second time today after doing nicks tweaks, and thought it was too much with disabling/enabling all his services.

I will d/l that tool n do as you say.

I got confused a little as i expected my cfg file to be in "F" as thats wherre fsx is, i didnt expect it to still go to the c drive.

Thanks paul

Hi Paul,

I have just ran alpha searcher and searched missing alphas then "select folder" located F/FSX/TEXTURES and start search, and got a list, - then ran it for mipmaps and got anothr list, - went to run convimx and got a "cant start MWGFX.DLL is missing - try reinstalling.

So i ran dxt fixer pointed it to the F/FSX folder, left the report bad files unchecked and it finished, then checked logs and no files were found, so i ran alphasearcher again and it found nothing,

So is that this completed ok even though convim wouldn't run?

regards

Paul

Hi Paul: DXTFixer only looks for, and fixes missing Alpha channels, so if you ran it there will be no more.

If you ran AlphaSearcher, looking for either missing alphas or missing mipmaps, and it found none - there are none.

As far as ConvimX goes - try uninstalling-re-installing it, and if it still throws up that error - search your machine for the dll name - it should be in C:\Windows\SysWOW\ .

If you can't find it in that folder, start a command window and run sfc /scannow.

If you still can't find it, post back here - I'll put it in the DropBox. - OK?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul, understood, thanks.

Paul

Edit, just checked syswow64 and MWGFX.DLL is not there, when i run a snannow, do i just write "scannow" or do i have to put the missing dll in there?

Hi, Paul - sorry took so long in getting back to you!

The command is this: (without the brackets) [ sfc /scannow ] Run this in a command window, - and here is one if it doesn't get replaced...

All the Best,

No worries paul,

I appreciate you have had your hands full, although i have been busy myself.

The scan turned up nothing.

Thank you for not forgetting about me :)

I'm sure i aint finished with you yet ;)

Kind regards

Paul