Sign in to follow this  
hangar

WinXP SP2 & FSD New Installers?

Id like to find out if there might be any of you SP2 users out there who have tried using the newest FSD aircraft installers. Their new installers look visually different now and in my particular case at least does not seem to work now that i have SP2 installed..in fact i had to ask for a refund on a new purchase i had just made from them due to this problem. The installer crashes.I have no other install type problems or application type problems at all since installing SP2...in fact the older type FSD installers dont crash like the new ones..however i cant use the older ones any longer due to too many re-installs i guess..so they sent me the newer installers so id be able to reinstall some of their planes i own....but apparently, im now the proud owner of 5 FSD planes which i can no longer use and so i wanted to see if im the only one thus far who's run into this problem where their new installer crashes?Dave Kalin

Guest LLgaz

Good luck. FSD posts here tend to get deleted.I haven't tried any since installing SP2. I no longer use them. Strange though that you had to resort to getting a refund.....FSD developers couldn't help?

Guest SoarPics

Dave... in your XP Services check to make sure the service "Windows Installer" is set to Automatic.Greg

I did a clean windows install followed by the SP2. Asked for new files to FSD, maybe 1-2 hour later got the link and no problem installing: Aerostar, Cheyenne, Navajo, Pilatus. Just got an error in the Aerostar patch, however the aircraft was updated.Jos

I suggest you try FSD's support forum. Steve Small, Tim Dickens and Owen Hewitt all are pretty good about responses. Also they tend to hang out more online at the "other major FS site"...Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

hi, and thanks very much for the feedback. By the way i HAVE been in touch with the FSD team about this of course (they dont know yet whats causing it so im stuck, but they did issue me a refund for at least the 1 newest plane i purchased since it wont install). They said im the only 1 having this prob and arent sure what might be causing it yet doe to the fact that their newest installer hasnt been tested yet with SP2. I dont know when exactly they started using this newer installer but my guess would be in the last few days or so. They sent me the newest dload links only yesterday and this is when the problem starting. Their previous installers dont crash on me but are no longer recognized by their servers so you are forced to use the newer installer now...at least thats the impresion they are giving me.it is possible that its not SP2 causing the installer to crash, however its just weird how i have no other apparent probs with any other type installers or running any other apps since installing SP2...only with the newest FSD installers...and ive tested quite a few this week as ive been doing alot of installing/re-installing in an attempt to re-test alot of my old & new planes so I can get my hangar down to only 2 planes to fly regularly for awhile to become more proficient, instead of going back & forth switching between 6 or 7 different aircraft all the time :-)I will try re-enabling the windows installer service as suggested here, however i was under the impression that this service was strictly used for .msi files only?...ill check it out never the less just in case.Thanks again for the feedbackDave

Did you turn off the Windows firewall? It gets turned on after you install SP2.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Please keep us/me updated on how it goes - I was thinking about buying the Navajo from them, despite having heard lots of bad things about them - there's no way of finding out how they are without actually trying a product - but there's no point in buying something which MS blocks for spyware/security reasons :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest firehawk44

Dave,Make sure you have Microsoft.Net Framework installed (check Add/Remove Programs to see if it's installed). I had problems installing some software until I installed this program from Microsoft.Jim Young

...just to follow up..havent heard anything today at all from FSD regarding re-installation probs with the aircraft i already own using their new installer...dead quiet. They sent me the links for all the new installers and i replaied telling them about the problem i have using it and asking if they can either let me use the old installers or find some other way to let me re-install...that was yesterday...still no reply though.PS- i have net-framework installed already, but you shouldnt need this to install aircraft anyway.Dave

Guest nutcase

Hi.I'm using windowsXP Professional with servicepack 2. I have just formatted my system, installed Xp pro with SP2. Then I emailed FSD, got the new installers for the pilatus Porter and the navaho.The installers works great her on my system with SP2 installed. No problem installing the porter and Navaho.Jan Roar Roed

Guest nutcase

windows explorer reports the navajo installer to 30451KB. Right click on the file, selecting properties: 29.7 MB (31,180,860 bytes)Jan Roar Roed

yup, same here...have no idea why it keeps crashing. At least if i was having other crashes or problems with other apps or installers i would know its my system...but since thats not the case at this point in time i just cant be certain of anything.All i know is that its an Exception Error (c0000005) in the installers exe. It starts up fine, then i choose fs2004 & click on the install button and then i get that little popup window stating that "the application has encountered a problem and needs to close. sorry for the inconvenience", etc, etc.Dave

Guest Janey

Hiya :)I have XP Pro/SP2 and have had no problems what so ever in installing any of the planes. I just tried again with the Navajo and it worked fine yet again. :-hmmm