Sign in to follow this  
Tharmagon

Dead panel and animations on flight load

Apologies if this already been covered. I did several searches and didn't find anything that helped. I would like to keep reloading PMDG 737 NGX saved flights to practice procedures etc. But if I quite a flight and then reload that flight or any other saved flight the NGX opens with a blank panel. No animations are working either. But it seems the sim is active but no switches work etc. I thought that maybe it was just that the panel state was not loaded. So tried to boot the pdu by clicking and holding the menu button. But the pdu is dead so can't go that route.

I have read in the manual that the ngx does like having flights loaded on top of previous flights. It says to load the default FSX flight and then the saved ngx flight. However for me that doesn't work either ... panel still blank. The only way I can reload a flight is to quit FSX completely, relaunch and then load the ngx flight. That takes forever so makes practise very slow and cumbersome. Anyone know a way around that?

Can no one help me with this? It's a pain having to keep quitting right out of FSX just to reload a flight. Also if I have a saved flight I can't load it and then change to a different livery. I have to start a new flight with that livery. And then set it all up again from scratch, even though I have a flight already set up.

I have read in the manual that the ngx does not like having flights loaded on top of previous flights.

There, I fixed that for you... In fact, the PMDG 737NGX Introduction and Use manual states on page 0.00.22:

A few notes to keep you from running into trouble:

• There is a common misconception that when loading a complex simulation like the PMDG 737NGX that you should first load the default Cessna into the simulator, then load the PMDG 737NGX. This is not a factual conception and in fact we do not recommend the practice at all.
  • One shortcoming of all PMDG products for FSX is that our products do not like to be “re-loaded.” This means that if you have one variant of the airplane selected and running within the simulation world (say, a 737-800 with winglets) and you wish to change liveries to a different 737-800 with winglets, you may run into a simulator lock-up if this is not done carefully.

My personal experience is that loading saved NGX flights is buggy as hell, no matter what you try. Something always ends up being all wonky, like the external lighting controls getting all mixed up or some FMC parameters missing. If I do load a saved flight, I tend to do so only once per FSX session (i.e. restart the whole sim beforehand). Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps others can offer some more insight into this matter.

Yeh I read all that in the manual. It also says it recommends to load the FSX default flight and then load the NGX flight. For me that doesn't work ... I have to quite right out of FSX and load the NGX flight after relaunch. It would be quicker to load the default flight and then the NGX flight, and I guess that must work for others. I just wondered why it doesn't work for me.

i have had this problem in the past. when you save a flight, ngx stores a panel state that should be loaded automatically when you load the flight in fsx, instead it loads the default ngx panel state and not the one linked to the saved flight... seems like a bug. but you can do it manually. make sure to pause the flight before you save it. when you load it go to cdu, pmdg options, panel state. select the right one from the list and execute (it has the same name as fsx saved flight). then put fsx in slew mode (default key is "Y"), un-pause and wait for the initialization process. then get out of slew mode ("Y" key again). it's a bit frustrating but it worked for me.

also if you have changed the default panel state to "cold and dark", the method i described doesn't seem to work. i don't have this problem any more as i have restored fsx settings, deleted fsx.cfg and redone the tweaks from the begining.

hope that helps

It also says it recommends to load the FSX default flight and then load the NGX flight. For me that doesn't work ...

I believe this only applies to the first flight of each FSX session (i.e., the PMDG B737 should not be the FSX default aircraft). From my experiences, restarting FSX for each new flight—especially with complex aircraft—is preferable due to the various unpredictable issues that may occur from reloading.

Have had same problem, but not always, seems to depend on conditions when you save.  I think having additional windows open makes it worse - try closing any other windows and popups, and having full screen mode, and if you have a second monitor then turn it off before you save and before you reload.

Personaly i dont get the whole save a flight thing...Land at nearest airport and continue from there, easy.

What proceedures are you practicing?...what ever they are why cant you re-do them without restarting?

And its an FMS/FMC...

pdu?..cdu??   :nea: 

It also says it recommends to load the FSX default flight and then load the NGX flight.

I would like to know what page of what PMDG publication you are reading this from?

Thank you

Michael Cubine

The introduction manual. It does not say to launch the flight, but to load it, that is, pre-load it in flight selection menu before choosing the NGX.

The introduction manual. It does not say to launch the flight, but to load it, that is, pre-load it in flight selection menu before choosing the NGX.

Are you talking about the Ultralight at Friday Harbor or some other FSX defaut plane?

From 0.00.21 of PMDG Introduction and Use 20FEB12 SP1c

• There is a common misconception that when loading a complex

simulation like the PMDG 737NGX that you should first load the

default Cessna into the simulator, then load the PMDG 737NGX.

This is not a factual conception and in fact we do not recommend

the practice at all. What is required however is for the default

Ultralight at Friday Harbor to be your default startup state in FSX.

Thanks

Michael Cubine

yep, this is what I refered to.

Thanks alot.

Michael Cubine