Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

yet another positive experience with P3D...

Well, another very positive result with Prepar3d and an add-on which is now fully Prp3d-compatible - AS2012.

I am probably a weird simmer, but the fact is that I find P3D's interface very clean and easy to use, specially for someone coming from FSX, I like to start in the way P3D starts, and then jumping to where ever I like and choosing the aircraft I want to take for the ride... I really like to fly with the smoothness it provides even when using a complex add-on like Aerosoft's AXE, so, I was afraid of ruining my experience by introducing some other add-on I was accustomed to use in FSX - a weather injector.

Also, I must say I am perfectly satisfied with the default weather themes that come with the sim, the weather effects and depiction do really look / feel better than the default in FSX, and I can always manually set weather conditions before landing / taking off to better suite my experience. But I was really looking fwd to see how AS2012 would go with P3D.

Without a single trace of previous existence in my disk from the MSFS era (other than using an MS OS...) I started the AS2012 SP2 installer, and it didn't even bother asking about FSX vs P3D during the install. It did it's work correctly identifying I had P3D and the GUI menu already mentioned only that sim .

In terms of smooth display, this may well be caused by my enthusiasm with P3D, but I don't think it is a case of placebo effect. The fact is that a few flights flown with the AXE under adverse weather scenarios I picked from within AS2012 weather search engine gave me a smooth ride (in terms of simulation, not of the weather effects which were rather challenging to say the least...) I could almost swear I didn't experience with FSX. No stuttering even during weather updates by AS2012, and this with weather options set at max less the visibility which I run at "only" 90NM.

It really puzzles me why there aren't more previous MSFS users just like me, on this boat? Yes a few important players haven't (yet) embraced the P3D proposal, but I believe that will change. After all, P3D is not X-Plane10 which requires a huge investment given the completely different approach to modelling of many of the simulation components, but guys, if you develop for FSX than you can easily port it to the smoother / cleaner P3D platform, or am I wrong? So, what are you waiting for?

And, BTW, a great video by Simon at Xsimreviews, using P3D and a couple of very nice add-ons... 

P.S.: Well, I believe I understand at least one of the 3pds who have apparently dropped support for P3D, but none of the remaining ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

It really puzzles me why there aren't more previous MSFS users just like me, on this boat? Yes a few important players haven't (yet) embraced the P3D proposal, but I believe that will change.

Well, since you asked: I want to give it a shot, believe me, but...

Unfortunately, several add-ons that are absolutely key for me are not supported.  The emphasis here being on the word key.  The biggest for me is lack of RXP support, as I'm a GA flyer and have the Garmins in every plane I own other than Flight1's Mustang which, of course, is also not supported.

The reluctance of some 3rd party devs may not be a big deal for some if the add-ons in question aren't critical, but if they are - they are.

Trade that off against...  I'm not sure what at this point.  Some seem to think P3D runs better, others report no significant differences.  In my case, my FSX is well-tuned and balanced.  I go literally 100s of flight hours without any significant glitches.  So, minor potential gains with significant tangible losses?  Doesn't seem a good trade-off in my case, at least not yet.  And yes, the licensing ambiguity bothers me as well (no need to debate that as it's been done ad absurd-um, just stating it's on my mind).

Still watching and remaining interested in what the major update will bring.

Scott

Guest RWFeldman

as I'm a GA flyer and have the Garmins in every plane I own other than Flight1's Mustang which, of course, is also not supported.

Thats also been my biggest deterrent.

Just out of curiosity... but are the RXPs still being supported? From where I came ( X-plane10 ) this was a topic, since there was support for xp9 32 bit, but there is no mention of support for the new 64 bit version of that sim... Visiting their site (realityxp)  suggests nothing new has happened recently, and there is mention of ESP support though... Why not Prepar3d then? 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Just out of curiosity... but are the RXPs still being supported? From where I came ( X-plane10 ) this was a topic, since there was support for xp9 32 bit, but there is no mention of support for the new 64 bit version of that sim... Visiting their site (realityxp)  suggests nothing new has happened recently, and there is mention of ESP support though... Why not Prepar3d then?

No. Only there commercial version.

Zicheng Cai

Just out of curiosity... but are the RXPs still being supported?

Well, they're still being sold and there was a substantive update to the units last year.  The latest (legitimate) data available that I'm aware of is summer 2011, but that data does buy you in to a lot of North American WAAS/LPV approaches, which is part of what matters to me as a GA IFR flyer.  Take those away and my options have just been severely limited.

But perhaps I'm not understanding the question.

Scott

Edit - And yes, there is support in a rather expensive commercial version.  Not a practical alternative.

You have to realize that Flight 1 has a large 'commercial' venture that by now is probably 1000x better in terms of revenue generation than the average FSX user.

Most of these customers will be on ESP/P3D platform by their very nature.

It is not in Flight 1's business interests to support dual installers. If they do support dual installers, they have to figure out a way to really be sure that commercial users don’t just install the private use version. We all know that the commercial use license will be many more times costly than the private use version.

So from Flight 1's perspective, don’t believe for one minute that it really has anything to do with us average guys wanting to use P3D and the moral issue of us doing so. It really comes down to them protecting the larger commercial venture they now have.

I don’t mind that, I would rather they just come out and say so. Lay cards on the table so to speak.

The same goes for the Reality XP products. (sold through F1 anyway)

No company wants to cannibalize its own revenue stream......

I have a lot of F1 products and love most of them. I’m not bashing them for protecting their commercial business, just come out and say that. Then we all know where we stand and why.

Well, since you asked: I want to give it a shot, believe me, but...

Unfortunately, several add-ons that are absolutely key for me are not supported.  The emphasis here being on the word key.  The biggest for me is lack of RXP support, as I'm a GA flyer and have the Garmins in every plane I own other than Flight1's Mustang which, of course, is also not supported.

The reluctance of some 3rd party devs may not be a big deal for some if the add-ons in question aren't critical, but if they are - they are.

Trade that off against...  I'm not sure what at this point.  Some seem to think P3D runs better, others report no significant differences.  In my case, my FSX is well-tuned and balanced.  I go literally 100s of flight hours without any significant glitches.  So, minor potential gains with significant tangible losses?  Doesn't seem a good trade-off in my case, at least not yet.  And yes, the licensing ambiguity bothers me as well (no need to debate that as it's been done ad absurd-um, just stating it's on my mind).

Still watching and remaining interested in what the major update will bring.

Scott

Scott,

I was going to quote part of your post ... but all of it is really true.

I am starting to ... get a bit of cold feet with P3D for the same reasons.

And as for Flight1 you mention one aircraft but I wonder if any aircraft from Flight one is supported.

The iFly737NG for P3D I purchased ... but now their forum went to another place with a "ticket system" for support and their last Service pack with many fixes (V3.1.1) was released for the iFly737NG FS9 and FSX products but not for iFly737NG P3D product (as far as I know). Some strange things?

The various forum supported commercial vendors, aircraft and addons need to be there at a reasonable price.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I don’t mind that, I would rather they just come out and say so. Lay cards on the table so to speak.

The same goes for the Reality XP products. (sold through F1 anyway)

No company wants to cannibalize its own revenue stream......

While we can't "know" anything for sure, my strong opinion is that Glenn is correct.  I would note that I don't think RXP being sold through F1 has anything to do with RXP's position however.  A number of other products sold through F1 do fully support P3D.  But as noted, RXP also sells a commercial version of their product and...

Scott

Glen,

Thanks for your informative post ... I did not know about this:

"You have to realize that Flight 1 has a large 'commercial' venture that by now is probably 1000x better in terms of revenue generation than the average FSX user."

Is there more than one Flight One (Flight1.com) company ... the one with the aircraft sales and Flight1 Purchase transaction system?

Best Regards,

Ideal Flight has had an internal option to allow/disallow use on whatever platform right from the initial prototype release, before the commercial version distributed by Flight1.

IF is licensed for use only with FSX, but to use it elsewhere is a decision the user takes so I chose to leave set it to "allow other platforms". So I'd like to say that this has nothing to do with Flight1 operations. IF is distributed by Flight1 but the program workings and licenses are decided by codelegend.

This decision has allowed the FSX to P3D migration tool to work perfectly with IF, but obviously it's use with P3D is not supported with the current Flight1 product. A focussed P3D version will have a different license.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Is there more than one Flight One (Flight1.com) company ... the one with the aircraft sales and Flight1 Purchase transaction system?

Vaughan, see http://www.flight1tech.com

Scott

@SteveW: Hmm! Interesting! I wasn't aware of this product  - Ideal Flight - Thx for the mention!

@tttocs: Thx for the link to the Flight1 "Profesisonal Solutions" page. Whow! That sheaper Avidyne Entegra, soon to be available also for Prepar3d  is added to my least of "really wanna have it!!!!!"

I also found the 737NG for Prepar3d here :-) ... Tasty!!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Vaughan, see http://www.flight1tech.com

Scott

Scott,

Right .. I thought that was a new company .. the one iFly737NG-P3D (and its forum) was moved to (now $79.95 iFly737NG P3D in new company)?

So, is Flight1 ... like 2 companies? One company sell products to non- P3D and another company for P3D .. it get rather tangled up?

Best Regards,

Not really sure about how they divide things - I've always viewed it as one company addressing two different markets, one commercial and the other consumer.  I didn't realize they were selling the iFly737 for P3D there - and marketing it for Home and Student only.  That muddies some already muddy waters even more.

Scott