Sign in to follow this  
flyingnoob

Combining I/S AND IOS

As the title suggests, I am trying to add these two together,

I am trying to apply the grass to my airfield(EGPG), I have already created a bgl by using the exclusion triangle from IS.

Now when I go to add that texture to my bgl, I get an "Cumbernauld project.dat" doen not exist, to add a model to an existing bl file, a corresponding ios file must exist.

When I go to add my texture, can I just simply add the buildings/hangers etc on top of the grass I laid? or do I do hangers then grass?

Thanks

Paul

You can use the two programs together, but each will have it's own set of files. You cannot save something you've made in IS into an IOS file, and vice versa. If I understand you correctly, you've excluded the stock buildings and now want to add your own buildings and some grass. It doesn't matter in which order you do this, but neither IOS or IS are very good for adding the grass. That's best done using either your afcad program (if you don't already have one I recommend AFX for payware or ADE9X for freeware), or Sbuilder, an excellent free program that let's you make all sorts of changes to the landscape.

Hope I've answered your question.

Hey Sid, re: simforums, many thanks, I will have a look at ade, as i've read that a few use it.

EDIT, to add, I see the install of ade9x says  "Microsoft Flight Simulator X with SDK and/or" I don't think I have the sdk as I only have the basic fsx

ADE does need the FSX SDK. The SDK is useful for a number of tools. AFX does not need it. AFX is payware and to get the SDK you would need to get the Gold Edition of FSX. I am not sure which is the most expensive option but with the Gold Edition of FSX you are getting other things along with the SDK.

Hi jon thanks,

I was just using flight1's AFX demo.

So you think *possibly* I would probably be better off buying fsx gold rather than AFX?

Thanks

Paul

EDIT, just had a look for gold, and its only £16, - AFX is £20, - so its a no brainer surely? especially if I get more with gold than what AFX "could" give me.

Will fsx gold, allow me to flatten any part of the terrain?

Is there much difference between gold and deluxe?  I am sure I read tat gold does not need sp1/sp2 updates - is tis correct? and it also includes te acceleration?

sorry for the double post, I am not getting to edit the above - looking at gold and deluxe, I just read that gold is exclusively dx10 - does that mean its not dx9? I have utx,and gex installed and I think I read somewhere that you are advised not to use dx10(I think it was nick that wrote it).

"It is also worth mentioning that the FSX-Gold edition uses DirectX 10 exclusively, I am personally unsure if it contains an option to turn it off, or, not"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000VWPNPE/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Gold is a repackage of FSX Deluxe and the Acceleration addon all in one box.

It isn't exclusively DX10, it does have a DX10 preview.

Gold is the best value and includes the SDK (which is part of Deluxe) which will allow you to use ADEX to modify your airports.

ADEX is free and is preferable to AFX in that it complies with the SDK, whereas AFX doesn't.

Deluxe gives you the Maule and the Goose as user planes, not just as AI as in FSX Standard. Acceleration gives you more planes, missions, scenery objects, etc. and far outweighs the value of AFX.

Be a winner, go for the Gold, hehe.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe, thanks.

So will gold allow me to flatten anywhere?

And I still have to use adex? even though I would be using is, ios, the sdk (lol whatever that is :) )

I am just going to order gold just now, so will be next week before I get my ands dirty.

As Sidney wrote above, will gold allow me to add grass - so I don't have to use is or ios?

Regards

Paul

Gold includes the Software Development Kit (SDK) that includes several tools needed by programs like ADEX to create flattens and airport backgrounds (grass).

ADEX will do the work, it can't do it without the tools from the SDK.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif