Sign in to follow this  
Star Alliance

Too much cloudshift with latest build

Hi!

After installing the latest release, I've had a lot of cloudshiting on CRZ. I'm using the same settings as I always have been, and my WX-refresh is set to 20min. It seems tough, when I get up in high altitudes /+15000ft the weather updates all the time, like every 30-40sec and the clouds never "keeps it's position".

When using the earlier build, the clouds on CRZ changed more smooth and never went from overcast to sct f.ex. in 0.1 sec.

Tips for settings?

I suppose you are talking about OpusFsx? I purchased a few weeks ago. Seen many cloud shifts, its like a sudden repositioning of clouds. Anyone having the same issue?

Please read and understand this FSX anomaly.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/using-the-live-weather-engine_topic42990_post285116.html#285116

The cause is easily understood and if you look at the Opus Low Level Cloud Weather Map you will see for yourself that the weather engine is NOT the cause of this. The cloud cover in the map will not change at all, only to reflect METAR changes. But FSX does cause cloud popping as a result of its normal operation and cloud drawing. Please read the above, FSX has always done this ever since launch. It is how the sim works, it extends and retracts cloud boundaries as it sees fit.

Stephen

These are NOT issues, its how FSX works. The above SimForums link will explain everything to you. Please consult the weather map though as you will see for yourself that it is not being caused by the weather engine.

So bottom line is, it's the METAR and the reality of the weather which impacts the amount of cloudshift? It just seemed alot less of it with the earlier build, but it could just be the way the weather in comb. with FSX.

Not really. It is mostly FSX extending the cloud boundaries or retracting them to allow different nearby weather patterns bleed from one area to another. Please read the SimForums topic as it explains everything in there. But next time clouds disappear just look behind your aircraft, odds on they are just behind you, either that or they have been receded back and now lie ahead of you in the distance. The cloud bleeding and boundary shifting is how FSX has always worked.

Stephen

Stephen, thanks for the fast respond.

Give and take, I would go for opus for the accuracy of weather info. Other package smooth out cloud shift at the expense of weather accuracy. I have switched to Opus live cam as well.

I have 2 wishes for opus.

1. Sound effect to go with the the turbulence in Opus(I use Buttkicker, will be great if can feel the turbulence!)

2. Camera panning to be more human like, current one is too robotic. (Will be good for people who do not have TrackIR)

Stephen is like a robot from Opus, his respond is like almost realtime. :P Hey! thats a compliment!

If you consult the Opus weather map and look at the Low Level Cloud Cover then you will see this happens even when there are no changes to the cloud cover in your near vicinity. That is, it happens whenever there is some time between weather updates and FSX has allowed cloud boundaries to bleed and be extended, then on a weather update it retracts them. You can set the Opus Cloud Smoothing option but this will not stop FSX behaving this way, the cloud will still on occasions disappear from in front of you and will only be seen just behind you. Its something FSX does by itself and cannot be controlled or stopped since no weather engine can position the clouds.

Stephen

Guest mhlarsen

Try the Cloud smooth feature. It helped me a lot.

Hi Lucasting

Part of your wishes may soon come true. :-)

I am testing a GamePad interface for Live Camera Control at the moment to give very simple 6 axis movement and control over the eye point adjustments. The GamePad interface will be fully compatible with Opus with or without TrackIR. It makes panning around very simple, like having a couple of hat switches for panning and translating the eye point.

The sound effects would be a great idea to possibly add immersion, even though all you can hear in a piston aircraft is the engine and no real sound in a bigger jet either. But I agree a few creeks might add a little something for some people, others may hate it. It would be nice to be able to bang a few people's heads against the canopy as well, just to remind users how violent turbulence can be.

Stephen :-)

I should have mentioned we are also working on changes to the Sim Friendly GRIB option which identifies and prevents certain wind changes in the cruise that are known to cause wind shifts. We have also identified and are working on preventing another possible wind shift cause during climb and descent.

The testing of the new additional Site Effects are proceeding very well. Details of the latest Site Effects User Configuration can be found in our Coming Soon SimForums topic. We will be including many UK, international and American airports in the Opus list. Users no doubt will add more in their own lists which will over time be included in the standard Opus list.

Stephen

Hi Lucasting

Part of your wishes may soon come true. :-)

I am testing a GamePad interface for Live Camera Control at the moment to give very simple 6 axis movement and control over the eye point adjustments. The GamePad interface will be fully compatible with Opus with or without TrackIR. It makes panning around very simple, like having a couple of hat switches for panning and translating the eye point.

The sound effects would be a great idea to possibly add immersion, even though all you can hear in a piston aircraft is the engine and no real sound in a bigger jet either. But I agree a few creeks might add a little something for some people, others may hate it. It would be nice to be able to bang a few people's heads against the canopy as well, just to remind users how violent turbulence can be.

Stephen :-)

The effect of the camera I am hoping is making the view feel like a real pilot in cockpit and not a camera mounted on a fixed holder in the cockpit, I think you get the idea. EZddok cam is a good reference, the way the camera behaves feels like a human point of view.

The sound should be an option for buttkicker user and it must be low frequency so that buttkicker can pick it up. Right now the live camera is looking so real responding to the turbulence shaking, I am just wishing my chair(with buttkicker) can pickup the turbulence effect distinctively so that it can woke me up when there is a turbulence. :)

Yeah, I doze off when there is no action for too long while fying.  :P

Can Butkicker be controlled by other means, other than sound that is.

Stephen

Buttkicker work only with sound, we can adjust the frequency setting to cut off high frequency range so that the lower frequency is in effect for the shaking. To be on the safe side your turbulence sound must have a mix of high rattling sound and low frequency bass for the shaking. I think this is most realistic!  The thing is, as long as you have an option for sound, I can change the sound effect to what ever I like best and suitable for my type of aircraft.  :P

We will look into it and other possible options, its a pity they don't allow the device to be controlled, perhaps Butkicker 2.

Stephen

We will look into it and other possible options, its a pity they don't allow the device to be controlled, perhaps Butkicker 2.

Stephen

Mine is buttkicker 2 :P   and its still a sound controlled device, thats their core technology, not a motion control device for sure. Are you planning to develop a motion based shaker hardware?  Opus weather shaker?   lol.

No but I wouldn't mind adding some form of control to enhance the feel of turbulence.

Is it controlled solely by the volume of the sub woofer output or bass output ?

Stephen