Sign in to follow this  
mh8794

Multiple monitors or one large TV screen

what is the resolution on those projectors? is it like a 4K ?

cost? less than 23 $ (thats all i have left)

One of these days I am going to have 3 projectors with a surround view... As God is my witness..I'll never go hungry again! :P

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Or consider five views giving a panoramic 225º horizon !!!

This screenshot was from my  ancient AMD 1.8 GHz 'puter which only had 3 monitors. So the side views were placed on monitors 2 & 3 to see if the concept really worked.

It did!

The horizon distortion is caused because screenshots assume the monitors are in a flat plane rather than actually placed in an arc around the pilot's eyes.

The wingtips appear to be straight ahead for the same reason. 

In a five monitor setup, #s 4 & 5 (& wingtips) would actually be placed beside the pilot's head- in a 180 arc- as in a real cockpit.

Using this strategy you really only need 17-19" monitors to get a real life panorama - approx  the same dimensions of a real cockpit.

Yes Yes! I know, that was 2D and Virtual is now the thing. But if you want realism, 2D is the way.

january

Or consider five views giving a panoramic 225º horizon !!!

This screenshot was from my  ancient AMD 1.8 GHz 'puter which only had 3 monitors. So the side views were placed on monitors 2 & 3 to see if the concept really worked.

It did!

The horizon distortion is caused because screenshots assume the monitors are in a flat plane rather than actually placed in an arc around the pilot's eyes.

The wingtips appear to be straight ahead for the same reason. 

In a five monitor setup, #s 4 & 5 (& wingtips) would actually be placed beside the pilot's head- in a 180 arc- as in a real cockpit.

Using this strategy you really only need 17-19" monitors to get a real life panorama - approx  the same dimensions of a real cockpit.

Yes Yes! I know, that was 2D and Virtual is now the thing. But if you want realism, 2D is the way.

january

Do you use 2 pc's for this? What kind of graphics card? Triplehead2go? FPS?

Do you use 2 pc's for this? What kind of graphics card? Triplehead2go? FPS?

Just a single ancient 1.8 Ghz pc built in 2003. It had 2 equally ancient graphics cards driving the 3 monitors. NO TH2Go. Monitors were 2 17" LCDs and an 18" CRT !!!

With FS9 and a single screen, FPS was in the range of 30- 40.

With 3 monitors, frame rate ranged from 16-22. That looks to be not so good- until you consider that only ONE monitor is being updated at any moment.

Two monitors are effectively frozen all the time. So 2/3 of what you are seeing is PERFECTION. In effect they both have an infinitely high frame rate.

The eye and brain is easily fooled!

Many times I tested this by flying low and steady - then suddenly killing 2 of the views. Frame rate would suddenly jump from 16-19 on 3 mons to 30 -40 with one mon- BUT it was impossible to detect any change in overall visual smoothness.

To get this result the monitors must be positioned carefully in an arc so that each is square to the pilot's eyes AND the angle of the outer views must be adjusted to compensate for the bezel separation. This is done in Panel Cfg for FS9 or Camera in FSX. The objective is to get your eyes and brain to think there is only ONE VERY WIDE image.

Lots written about this 3 or 4 years ago in the forums. Search for author "january'.

The screenshot shows the impact of having a "real life" wide view wnen simming. Compare that with the inset real world photo! 

Regards january

747 inset photo by permission of Manuel Marin

that projector i have is a short throw Benq 1080p resolution 1080 x 1920 for $1,200

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram