Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

What's the best 21 or 22 inch CRT monitor for FS??

I'm in the market for a new monitor, preferably a 21 or 22 in CRT (I can't stand LCD monitors).How are the Samsung/NEC-Mits./Sony/etc.. montiors??Any recommendations?Thx!!:)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest freequest

im useing a 21" sony tritron monitors one of the ones that are supplied to dell got it second hand for AU$330 well worth it ...All i can say its good quality..

Viewsonic Pro Series P815 21" andSamsung SyncMaster 1100P Plus 21"(Also 19" CTX but that is not what you asked about)Both have been very good and have clear, sharp displays.The ViewSonic is a number of years old, and I lost the picture.(Wasted a trip to Roanoke to what was supposed to be a good shop. Do not waste time on locals if you ever have trouble).Shipped it to Atlanta to a Rep Service Center. They charged me literally nothing and all written guarantees were years past. My only cost was shipping which granted was not cheap, but reasonable. Still working great after about a year and a half. (It did give me an excuse to buy a second 21" unit while I waited for the repair).I would go to the manufacturer's web sites and check the specs. on the different models that interest you to get the best display and resolution possible.One more piece of advice if I may. Be sure that your computer desk can handle not only the size, but the weight. I have a cheapee. Even though it is large, I had to reenforce it a bit. (Wish Santa would bring me a real nice new hardwood unit). Stacking multiple large monitors, scanners, Printers, a Dish Network receiver, Yoke, Keyboard, etc. etc. does add up.Good luck on your hunt.RTH

Guest christianholmes

Good advice about the weight! Something many people overlook. 21-22" monitors weigh about 65 lbs!I have a several year old Viewsonic G790 21". Max resolution is 1600x1200 at 75hz. Not the newest/best but I will take it over an LCD any day of the week- Unless that LCD costs major bucks- that said, this is supposed to be a great LCD monitor for games: Viewsonic VP912B LCD Monitor.This looks like what I would get if I had to get a new monitor:NEC FP1350X MultiSync Flat Professional 22-Inch CRT249.99 refurbised from outpost.com with a 90 day warranty.263.00 new on pricewatch.it does 1600x1200 at 85Hz (recommended- goes up to 1920)- More than enough for the next few years of flight simmming or other gaming. You want at least 75Hz so your eyes don't go screwey. .26 dot pitch is good too. Can't really not recommend NEC monitors, as I've always had good luck with them. Sony's are good too.Might want to look at Viewsonic's P220fb also, but it's more expensive, and pound for pound the only real difference is .1 better dot pitch (not noticeable).

I have 2 Samsung 213T LCD monitors ... one for work (I work at home) and one for FS ... I am very pleased with the purchase and would recommend the Samsung very highly.Cheers,

21" or 22" I think the actual viewing size is almost the same. 21" is generally Trinitron monitors, 22" Diamondtron. They are quite equal really. These are the only types to choose from really if image quality is number one priority.Some good ones Philips 202P40, NEC FP2141SB/D2070. And Sony of course but they are very expensive and on the same level really.

If you live in California check out Fries Electronics. They have refurbished 21" Dell Trinitrons (black or biege casing), for $229.00.I picked one up and added a two year warranty for $250.00 total price. Using it right now... looks and works great!Planning on picking up another one or two to complete my wrap-around effect.

Yes Dell seem to know about monitors all right. Got a Sony Trinitron under the Dell name myself had it for 3 years just awesome. Dell now uses the NEC monitors I mentioned among others.But monitors on the used market it

Thx for all the help so far guys!I have narrowed it down to 2 monitors I think:1. Samsung 1100DF-Black 21"2. NEC FP2141SB-Black 22"I know the NEC is quite a bit more, but I keep hearing great things about it.What do you guys think about these two options (as a comparison...or is there even a comparison?)??Thx again for the help so far guys!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

My 21" is the best hehe. Actually, I would rate it a 10 of 10. It's perfect, and has been for the past 2 years. It sports the .22 aperture grille pitch and is ultra clean, clear, symetrical, and flawless. But very expensive. Actually, I bought its little brother, the 19" version with the same super fine agp, and it died in exactly 34 months, after which Sony sent me this 21" which was 2 mo old (build date on the back). It has been perfect, so I have almost 5y now on these two .22 agp screens. It would be hard to go to something less at this time. Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Paragon

I just bought a Lacie electron22blue IV 22" CRT and I can definitely recommend it. The best monitor I've ever had. One thing to remember about bigger CRT monitors, they are more prone to moir

BTW what is moire? What does it affect. I know where's the setting in my monitor but never understood the affect.Thanks.

Guest bobsk8

>BTW what is moire? What does it affect. I know where's the>setting in my monitor but never understood the affect.>Thanks.Moire effect is a visual effect that you get when a video frequency and the dot pitch of the monitor interact with each other causing a visual " beat frequency" type of artifact. This looks like curved shadows on the monitor on certain video frequencies. Do a Google Search on Moire effect for more in depth information. Moire can be usually be eliminated by changing your video card to a different resolution.