Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Newbie" Forum - Comments?

Wouldn't it be a good thing to stop mocking at banned members at some point? After all they can't reply to this kind of posts anymore.

Nah, let them have their ego-boost. Seems like they need it and it's not like it's hurting that Snave guy in any way.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Guest Q_flyer

I agree with Olli - I think that my sticking the knife into Snave in this thread, we're stooping to his level......

But I'm pleased we have the New to FS thread;  let's hope it get's lot's of visitors and is successful.  :cool:

Is their anything less challenging than the haka done  than a group of middle-aged white men who've had a bit to much to drink?

I cannot agree more!! See it too often in this country. It should be kept to the stadium where there is nothing better than watching a crowd of 100,000 go deathly quiet as the mighty All Blacks prepare to demolish the Aussies.

Why not set up a "SNAVE" forum? Anything goes (within reason). We can bring Jim Skorna in as referee (and no offense Jim, because I know you can do this) and set Simon up against those older members who have seen and heard it all before. I'm quite sure that in its own obscure, yet obscene way, it would be quite humorous.

Just think ..... threads such as "ASN vs Opus", "P3D vs FSX vs FS9 vs XPlane", "Read The Manual Guys vs Those That Can't Be Bothered To Read" can all be sent by the mods to the "Snave Cave" forum. The mind boggles, but that's only because I am already in the Christmas mood. 

PS And Jim has final say on the score!  :lol:  :lol:

I think you might add some other of the early "bad-asses" into the Snave Cave to really add some excitement.... hmmm? Does the name "Allcott" ring any bells?   .......    B)

Deathly silence....

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Tom, speaking of Snave, we know his real name don't we? It's somewhere here in my notes...

...for use in case he ever tries to sneak back in again unannounced.

Guest Q_flyer

Tom, speaking of Snave, we know his real name don't we? It's somewhere here in my notes...

...for use in case he ever tries to sneak back in again unannounced.

His name is Simon Evans       - he gave it out openly, and normally included it in most of his signatures.

Wouldn't it be a good thing to stop mocking at banned members at some point? After all they can't reply to this kind of posts anymore.

Olli, In normal circumstances, I would not give a hoot about a banned member, and would not even enter my mind to even post about such a person, but "Snave" is a different kettle of fish.

I say that, because I had the opportunity to read his nananana post, blowing a raspberry at Tom, with an "Up Yours" so to speak.

Does he deserve a "Serve" from his former Avsim colleagues ? Yes, I think so, because it is people like him that can ruin it for others, and him being very internet crawling savvy, he nearly did just that. This is one occasion I don't regret my scathing of him.

So much for my aura of importance!

Stephen, Don't say that. :lol:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Rog Stryx Z790-A,  Intel i9-14900KF,  Asus ROG Ryujin III 360 , Asus Hyperion Case,Rog Stryx 4090 OC, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD,64Gb G Skill Memory, Asus Aura 1200W Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG C4 48" 4K OLED Screen., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I think it's a bad idea to restrict new members to a small part of the forum. Not everyone who comes here are new to flightsims and they don't want to be locked out of the discussions that interests them until they've got their post counts up or otherwise have proven themselves worthy. Most likely they will just go somewhere else instead.

As a means to fight the rampant rudeness that apparently plagues Avsim these days I don't think a newbie section is the right way to go either. It may have it's benefits but on the whole I think it's rather unnecessary. Better to just adopt a more stringent policy against pointless RTFM and GIYF posts and such.

I agree whole heartedly. Whenever you get a group of people together you will have one or more "Bullies" depending on the size of the group. I don't think it fair to restrict new members (who may be experienced in simming) due to the reactions of the few. We need to do a better job as a group reporting the Bully and help to remove them!!

Maybe have a quick tutorial on forum searching, its a wonderful tool for both new people and vets that is heavily underutilized. As for rudeness here I think this forum is rather tame, if you go to a certain car club forum you will need a whole fire department to resist getting flamed for noobish mistakes (perhaps that's where my lack of tolerance for repetitive questions comes from, I was pretty miffed at getting flamed real hard but now I totally understand why they did it and in a way I now appreciate it and still frequent that forum with no problems anymore).

Avsim is the first and only forum I participate in.  Sure at first it was daunting but I remember well when I went from Newbie to Member and the personal satisfaction it gave me.  I have not had any problems with 'bullies' and have generally found Avsim provides an excellent vehicle to pursue this hobby that I have enjoyed for many years now.  I have also made a good friend who I hope to see again soon.  Any initiative that helps new members gain confidence will definitely be worthwhile.  Personally I think the term 'Newbie' should be replaced with something a little less crude.  New Member would be good.  I haven't read all the posts btw.

So how is the Newbie forum going?

I have noticed an influx of new members but the forum remains quiet.

I think a newbie forum is going to be difficult to moderate - the definition of newbie is subjective, and what defines a newbie-esque question ? Does a long-time simmer become a newbie because he or she changes platforms, say from FSX to X-Plane ? If a newbie doesn't find an answer in this forum, he or she will then go to another forum, see what might be the answer and query it further there. And so the point of the newbie forum is lost.

And what about all the questions that long-term simmers have wanted to ask but felt foolish doing so. We all have them - things we think we should know by now, but simply don't for want of asking. Does that make them a newbie or are they asking a newbie question ?

Newbies, novices, beginners - call new simmers what you will - they will move themselves out of the dedicated forum into the wider Avsim world as soon as they ( not the moderator ) consider themselves experienced. It all sounds like an exercise in futility to me, an attempt to tidy up the untidyable ( I think thats a word ). I wouldn't bother trying.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

( I think thats a word ).

I think the correct term is "un-up-tidy-able". B)

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

The forum for "Newcomers" is meant for people who are new AVSIM members. It is a place where hopefully, they can become familiar with AVSIM and have any question answered with warmth and welcome, rather than disdain and/or ridicule...

AVSIM has so many forums and sub-forums, it is often difficult for any newcomer to know just where to search for answers, much less ask a question of their own. :blush:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator