Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

Flight1 Skyhawk 172R

Guest havoc69

Jason,It sounds like you have the same problems I have mentioned. It's nice to see someone feel the same way.Indeed the flaps are like speed brakes on that plane! Flaps are intended to increase drag and increase lift. These things definately increase drag, however I don't think they do so well on the lift department :) I definately can't controll the aircraft in a stall. It would be nice to have a good solid model to practice stalls and slow flight in.

Hi Eric,By looking at your 172 simulator I take you are well into this aircraft. I think you are right that the drag of the flaps on F1 172 is too much especially comparing to the lift it creates. Hard to do a power off landing and it feels unrealistic. I know as a fact that 172s are nose heavy on touch down. I was warned in training by my instructor that once I flare in a 172, don't let the nose down. I heard people say if you can land a 172 you can land anything (small piston singles of course). But F1 172 overshot it along the direction of nose heavy feel I think. To land a F1 Archer for a change feels so much better. Stalls...as I said...F1 152 stalls much better. After all, I think aerodynamically, the 152 is a better product. 152 for VFR and 172 for IFR. After all, the 172 is a beauty with its cockpit and instruments.Jason Zhang

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI