Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Bumped into this on the web?

Well, the whole thing is about a - NEW - flightsim.... all the ones on the market today use an old code base..... so I think ist well worth the effort.

People like me however are not the kind of people required for such an endeavour.

Sorry to disagree - It will take each and everyones help, if we want to get this into the air... and I do hope you will join in with your thoughts and ideas, and post them - as it will help to promote the cause!

This new endeavour will need the whole community - as it is so small - to get it aloft!!! so I do hope each and everyone joins in - and contributes as much as he/she can...

We are the ones who always complain about the limitations of FSX/P3D/XPX ..........(put your sim here) so it is up to US to change that - as a community....

Yes

Sorry to disagree - It will take each and everyones help, if we want to get this into the air... and I do hope you will join in with your thoughts and ideas, and post them - as it will help to promote the cause!

This new endeavour will need the whole community - as it is so small - to get it aloft!!! so I do hope each and everyone joins in - and contributes as much as he/she can...

We are the ones who always complain about the limitations of FSX/P3D/XPX ..........(put your sim here) so it is up to US to change that - as a community....

Yes I suppose you are correct. The question is is there actually a community in the literal sense of the word anymore? If there is then people should be jumping on board en masse. I hope they do!

The question is is there actually a community in the literal sense of the word anymore?

From the forums home page

"We are 193,129 members strong, and we have posted 2,814,726 messages regardng our hobby - the largest knowledge repository in flight simulation"

Seams pretty big. Although, there is a spelling mistake there someone might want to fix

The thing is i learned in a past life is that often when trying to organize communities (just as a general rule) you will find that people can be pretty lethargic. Cheering from the sidelines, and even donating money is one thing, but diving in there and pitching in individually....... well, you need someone very very charismatic and motivational, as well as tireless and probably thick-skinned to herd the cats without being overbearing and chasing them away instead.

I think Avsim could have organized such a thing, since they have the necessary trust and clout, and I certainly wish this effort all the best, but I suspect things will be quite slow until very committed leaders with some serious credentials appear. Heres hoping.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

From the forums home page

"We are 193,129 members strong, and we have posted 2,814,726 messages regardng our hobby - the largest knowledge repository in flight simulation"

Seams pretty big. Although, there is a spelling mistake there someone might want to fix

How many of them will get behind the effort? Surely it's that number that indicates what kind of community spirit is left in the 'community'. I'm not denying that there are many who still have that community spirit but there are equally many if not more who's only contribution is arguing that their favorite sim is the best and giving out that the just released product they bought is not absolutely perfect.

@ HiFlyer, I think you are correct about the committed leaders with some serious credentials being needed. One thread here will likely not come to their attention unfortunately, it will take people like Froogle and DAndre Newmann publicizing this to get the word out. Maybe even a news feature on Avsim? Community leaders like those will need to rally around before the average simmer does.

How many of them will get behind the effort? Surely it's that number that indicates what kind of community spirit is left in the 'community'. I'm not denying that there are many who still have that community spirit but there are equally many if not more who's only contribution is arguing that their favorite sim is the best and giving out that the just released product they bought is not absolutely perfect.

@ HiFlyer, I think you are correct about the committed leaders with some serious credentials being needed. One thread here will likely not come to their attention unfortunately, it will take people like Froogle and DAndre Newmann publicizing this to get the word out. Maybe even a news feature on Avsim? Community leaders like those will need to rally around before the average simmer does.

True - so its up to us, the make these community leaders aware of this opportunity... AVSIM has already pinned thread with the official opening invitation to the website - as I do think it is a common goal to everyone here on AVSIM. But then again - a new website - specially aimed at this common cause specifically, I think be better - and more attracting to everyone - also from other Flight Sim Websites like SimFlight or ORBX and so on - sort of a neutral place to communicate on a common goal...

So for the moment - please get out there - make it viral - post everywhere and anywhere related to flight simulation and let the people know of this opportunity. It will take a lot of effort, as you described - but who will do it if not us?..... And let the community leaders know that they also have the opportunity to participate and as leaders should - take us to a new Flight Simulation era....

regards

Richi

Well there's a spelling misteak in your post too.  So there! :LMAO: I'll see if I can figure out how to fix it...

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10