Sign in to follow this  
exodus1977

Oculus Rift and P3D

Yes 4K.. It's 2160 x 1200 PER SCREEN.

Not sure where you're getting it's not HD....

1080x1200 per eye (screen)

Actually its me. No, you dont need to. What you can see in your monitor is not what you see inside the rift. The world is bigger around me, my field of view is wider and I am close enough to see the gauges. I was using the maximum resolution with Flyinside.

• Upvote 1

Actually its me. No, you dont need to. What you can see in your monitor is not what you see inside the rift. The world is bigger around me, my field of view is wider and I am close enough to see the gauges. I was using the maximum resolution with Flyinside.

Totally awesome!!

What is the max resolution in Flyinside anyhow?

Also what are you comments regarding the difficulty in manipulating knobs with the mouse as it relates to holding your head in position so the view doesn't move and thus move the mouse off the target?

I always had huge issues with that in the TrackIR world that led me to just dump that whole system.  Too much config and too much finagling for me on TrackIR.  Hope Oculus is better that way.

Maximum resolution is 4k and no problem with manipulating knobs. I can even use the fmc.

Maximum resolution is 4k and no problem with manipulating knobs. I can even use the fmc.

Fantastic!  Super exciting!!

So if you had to nitpick on what you don't think is great yet w/ the Oculus/Flyinside/P3D combo, what might you say?

More resolution is needed however the CV1 will improve that. We need more performance either from P3D or from Flyinside ( he will be working on envidia gameworks)

Guest Raven9000

Yes correct it was total, not per eye. Still besides that resolution you also need a much hicher refresh rate, so that's why it's still as if you were driving 4k in power more or less...

Yes correct it was total, not per eye. Still besides that resolution you also need a much hicher refresh rate, so that's why it's still as if you were driving 4k in power more or less...

What refresh rate is it running at?  Not enough?

Fantastic! Super exciting!!

So if you had to nitpick on what you don't think is great yet w/ the Oculus/Flyinside/P3D combo, what might you say?

You need to do your own research because you sure are not getting good information here. The Rift does not have a resolution of 4K. The DK2 Rift has a resolution of 960x1080, the CV1 Rift promises 1080x1200. The 'per eye' business is meaningless in this context.

c36205291ffb7cdeaf28e2ad372a09a2.jpg

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Just a video to show how immersive the experience is flying on Ivao.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zZS5hqIkc

thats a cool vid melchor, so you are saying that you can actually read the numbers on the instruments like airspeeds and stuff, and that youtube vid is lower res than the eyepieces? the framerates look great but on the youtube it just seems really blurry to me perhaps that is the 720p limit on the vid.

one of the engineers i work with has a vive devkit and i was definitely amazed by the sense of presence and 'being there' in some of the demos i tried, but my impression with that one was also that it felt sort of low-res, like i was looking at a small monitor blown up huge. it was very cool!! but i didn't get the sense that i would be able to read tiny instruments on there either. the sensation in your mind that you could reach out and touch everything made it very awesome though.

either way it was inspiring, i think a few years down the road this stuff will be amazing

cheers

-andy crosby

You need to do your own research because you sure are not getting good information here. The Rift does not have a resolution of 4K. The DK2 Rift has a resolution of 960x1080, the CV1 Rift promises 1080x1200. The 'per eye' business is meaningless in this context.c36205291ffb7cdeaf28e2ad372a09a2.jpg

I know what you mean there, sorry if it is a bit misleading. I know there is no way Oculus Rift is 4k. Its just that in Flyinside you have the option to change the resolution. Like If you have a 1280x1024 monitor but can chose the option of 4k in P3D. It wil not be real 4k but for sure the resolution is higher. To be clear, just saying that I was using the maximum resolution possible with flyinside.

like i was looking at a small monitor blown up huge

Well, you are...! You are in fact not even looking at a small monitor, you are looking at an even smaller smartphone screen blown up to fill the entire world around you. No wonder things don't look sharp.  :wink: I own the Gear VR and I can tell you things look low res indeed all the way. Luckily you tend to forget that as soon as you get immersed into what you are doing. But if you want sharp HD graphics, do not get the Rift for a year or two, three, four...

You need to do your own research because you sure are not getting good information here. The Rift does not have a resolution of 4K. The DK2 Rift has a resolution of 960x1080, the CV1 Rift promises 1080x1200. The 'per eye' business is meaningless in this context.

You are right: people are not getting good information here. That picture is a bit (of not a lot!) misleading because this will give most readers the impression the Rift will give you a graphic quality similar to an HD 1080i monitor. IT WON'T! When you look at a 1920x1080 monitor everything looks sharp and and awesome (depending on the size, of course) but that is only because you are looking at it from a distance: the monitor only fills a very, very, very small part of your field of view. With the Rift however, that 'monitor' resolution is smeared out over a 360 degree view (in ALL directions), so EVERYTHING around you is being filled with those pixels... and that's not much, I can tell you. Go sit behind a 1080i monitor and put your nose against the screen: do you see each and every pixel? Doesn't look too good, does it? And then remember that while doing so the screen doesn't fill your entire 360 world yet: it is still only in front of you. Imagine that screen being stretched around your head in all directions and you may get an idea of the resolution you actually see with the Rift...

Take my word for it: it won't look as good as your 1080i monitor and let's forget about 4K monitors...  :wink:

thats a cool vid melchor, so you are saying that you can actually read the numbers on the instruments like airspeeds and stuff, and that youtube vid is lower res than the eyepieces? the framerates look great but on the youtube it just seems really blurry to me perhaps that is the 720p limit on the vid.

one of the engineers i work with has a vive devkit and i was definitely amazed by the sense of presence and 'being there' in some of the demos i tried, but my impression with that one was also that it felt sort of low-res, like i was looking at a small monitor blown up huge. it was very cool!! but i didn't get the sense that i would be able to read tiny instruments on there either. the sensation in your mind that you could reach out and touch everything made it very awesome though.

either way it was inspiring, i think a few years down the road this stuff will be amazing

Hi andy.

I am not going to lie to you. I wish the resolution was higher with my DK2 but its not. However the feel of immersion is really good.

Can you read the instruments? At least on the pmdg 737 I can. Have problems to read the text on the fmc though. I have to lean forward. You have to chose the highest resolution on Flyinside but at a cost. I have a i7 4790k 4.6ghz and a gtx 970. I can mantain 30 fps with the 737 pmdg. With the DK2 in order to not to feel dizzy you need at least 75fps. Thanks to a technic used by Flyinside called asynchronous time warp you can reach 75fps.

Once again the resolution is poor but good enough to read your instruments. Hopefully much better on the CV1. What I find annoying is not being able to see the runway untill you get close.

Anyway, this is just the beginning and the future is promising. VR is going to change the way we fly. I cant go back to fly on a monitor.

cheers

-andy crosby