Sign in to follow this  
CSCARLOS

MU-2 Elevator Trim Tabs

So since FSX can't move the control surface and only the tab it seems to me to not animate the tab at all.

I think the trim tabs should be animated... When trimming the aircraft, the trim tabs will move more than the control surfaces themselves would (since the tabs are so much smaller) and the trim tab's movement would therefore be more obvious than that of the trimmed control surface. The actual control surface's movement would be much less.

In other words, the trim tabs will move more degrees than the actual control surfaces would when trimmed. I therefore think it will look best if the trim tabs are animated (as all other developers do with their aircraft).

To add, another reason to animate the trim tabs is because the trim wheels themselves control the trim tabs directly. If you move the trim wheel you will expect to see the trim tabs move in a constant relationship to the trim wheel.

The amount the control surfaces themselves move in relation to the trim tabs is not constant, because there is no direct link between the trim wheel's movement and the control surface itself. The force the trim tabs exert on the control surface is purely aerodynamic, and this force changes with the aircraft's speed. As an example, when you taxi, moving the trim tabs will have no effect on the control surface (even if the tabs are deflected all the way) since the speed is too low. At higher speed they will become more effective, but the trim tabs will still move more degrees than the control surfaces themselves.

The trim tabs just need to be animated to move in the correct direction...

For the MU-2 that means reversing the elevator trim tabs as well as the rudder trim tab animations.

Since the MU-2 doesn't have ailerons, the wing's roll trim tabs on the MU-2 are already correctly animated as they are now.

Guest louisdecoolste

Hmm, not sure the fix for incorrect animation is really non-animation. By the same token, one could argue to leave off the gear to save on all that retracting and extending nonsense, remove all the lights as that flashing could be a distraction, or moving levers in the cockpit.

Surely the goal of fidelity is to replicate systems, not ignore them ? If the trim tabs were important enough to be modeled in the first place, surely they are important enough to be modeled right ?

Working on the update tonight and will reverse the animation. And our Lear has animation in the correct direction. I sure wish this topic was brought up years ago as i have always been animating the tabs the wrong direction. But not a big deal to me now since nobody ever emails me on this issue. But as i update older products i will reverse those as well. As a single developer you have a lot to learn from modeling, animations, painting, xml coding and flight dynamics. So your always bound to make a mistake somewhere and improve over the years. Thanks for pointing this out!

% Quote%  But not a big deal to me now since nobody ever emails me on this issue %Quote%

That's because you acted like a Jerk to the people that were trying to help you , IE  Alterative Interior , better flight model  and the like. The last question I

E-mailed you Deleted.  You may have been  developing for 10 years but you sure didn't  learn that if you don't take care of your customers you end up developing

for yourself because nobody is going to buy your Mistakes if you don't fix them.

Goodbye Flysimware  you lost me as a Customer.

Guest louisdecoolste

Well, I'm probably more resilient than Marty, and I have broad shoulders that means ######y software developers don't get my goat, they get my ire. But not my lucre.

But I do agree you really ought to work on your customer relationship skills. Your feedback loop is your customer base. Disregard it or dismiss it at your peril.

Value judgments are very pertinent to the tiny sim addon market. Value judgments are made on the apparent quality of product at release, but as most simmers don't expect perfection at v1.0 (there'd be precious few addons developed if that were the case) the value assessment switches immediately to how the business handles its mistakes, and corrects them. 

Thanks for Moo 1.8 and the v3 installer

1.8 is available at Flysimware Store and once i hear some feedback i will send it to all major outlets. 

The only reason i acted like a jerk on this topic was because people were telling me how i should run my business. I was planning on finding more evidence since my tech guy was not around before i could post that this would be fixed in our next update. And we already had a scheduled update on it's way and i was getting told to drop all of my work on a current project and they did not want to hear about the current project until this issue was resolved. As a reminder Avsim is for support and not for telling developers how they should run their business. I have a good set of guidelines on how i do updates explained in previous posts.

The reason i said not a big deal is because nobody in the last 7 years has emailed me on my mistake. So this just shows that it's not a big deal to most customers. If it was a system issue that prevented simulation of a flight i would fix this ASAP. But for a visual animation that has no effect on your simulation it can wait for our next scheduled update. I am not the best writer and Avsim is ran by Joe so i may get my own words twisted a bit and hope you are not finished with Flysimware as we have an excellent customer service through our email and is even noted in reviews. I can see how the words no big deal might sound bad coming from me but was only meant to mean that this topic was about a non simulation bug and more of a visual animation.

Luis i am glad you are still aboard as you did get off topic in previous posts. I may forgive you as i see your posts are on topic and glad your like our products!

Guest louisdecoolste

OK, I see where you're coming from and while `forgiveness` is considerably less than an `apology`, it's baby steps.

But please let's correct a misunderstanding: This Avsim forum is an UNOFFICIAL forum set up for the users of Flysimware product. It is not, never had been, and never will be any kind of official channel to be `run` by Joe or anyone else from FSW.

You and Joe are welcome here as Commercial Members with a declared vested interest and we are grateful for your input. But it is not your forum. It's ours. Here, you are a guest in our house.

If you don't like customers and prospective customers advising you on better ways to build, corrections that are needed and comments that are designed to improve and facilitate, then by all means set up your own official forum and run it with your own moderators. There you have total control over what is said, and how it is said. Or rely on email which i think we have shown in this topic alone is an increasingly frail and dubious way to judge the value and efficacy of your products.

Personally, I think the exchange here has proved how important this unofficial forum is and if it troubles you that much, simply stay away. Looks like the beta testers could benefit from better supervision and Joe seems to have a handle on the customer relationship side... 

Thanks for 1.8, I'll be wringing it out in P3D v3 over the next few days now I've got round to actually installing the new sim version.

FlyDSimWare,

I've tried to obtain the latest updates for the MU2-B but FsPilotShop is still offering the 1.7 version. I 'm sure the 1.8 has been sent to them, but their instructions for "tecnical" inquiries advise us to check diectly with the Developer.

TX

BTW: thank you for this beautiful model. I've taken many rides on the Moo down in South Texas.....built like a tank !