Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Denmark Pro

A nice flight to do is to start from EKEB Eesbjerg and follow the motorway all the way to Copenhagen over the Islands and huge bridges. It takes about an hour in a C172 (because you wouldn't want to be flying over it quickly and high ;-). People always start in the capital, but you'd be missing so much if you restrict your flights to that region.

If anyone is going to generate photoscenery for Denmark (Which I highly recommend you do with this scenery), I'd recommend you start with Bornholm Island and Rønne airport EKRN. You can generate the two tiles quickly because it's mostly water 55+014 and 55+015. I generated the Island with ZL18 and it looks absolutely fantastic with the little houses, colourful villages and boats in the marina.

Also try some island hopping between Anholt EKAT and Læsø EKLS, both of which look fantastic and can be generated very quickly if you want photoscenery.

Its times like this I wish I had fast internet for photo scenery! with my 512k connection its just impossible :-( 

EKEB is all foggy right now. 

Its times like this I wish I had fast internet for photo scenery! with my 512k connection its just impossible :-( 

Same boat :) 700 Kbps but it is as good as 500K. But I have downloaded a lot of Ortho Photos especially France using Ortho4XP great app.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It's not the download speed that's the bottleneck I found, they are only relatively small jpeg files, it's the conversion to DDS format that takes up a huge chunk of the 20-30 mins per tile. I have 6mbps internet, which isn't amazingly fast by today's standards.

In principle I could make the conversion process quicker by multithreading it (say after the download process is finished), it you look

at the resources manager you will see that only one core is used when only the conversion remain.

An alternative is to tick the "skip convert" option and to batch do it later (multithreaded or not).

Also, for certain WMS servers the download process is not faster the the conversion one, sometimes even slower.

Took a flight from EKCH with the Denmark Pro +Orth4xp's photoreal in to Stockholm Arlanda (essa) and oh boy did the scenery in Copenhagen look amazing. Decided to film the landing to Stockholm since the scenery was  superb there too with W2Xplane+ the photoreal made with Oscar's Ortho4xp. Here's the video if anyone is interested: 

Hey tony , it looks awesome , and performance are really acceptable even on my old machine , thanks!!

Could Germany & switzerland be next? They both have great OSM coverage , and their art work are basicly the same.

Could Germany & switzerland be next? They both have great OSM coverage , and their art work are basicly the same.

The OSM coverage is actually too patchy in both of these regions unfortunately. The other problem with OSM data is that is quite inconsistent, whereas official government data is cleaner to work with and has 100% coverage (Although I can use OSM data to fill in the gaps if there is a certain type of data not covered). If you can find such data for these countries then please let me know and I'll happily do them. Austria seems to have some good data although it's quite fragmented across different sites, so would require some work to get it all together.