Sign in to follow this  
Jason_Peters

Latest Captain Sim C-130 News

Guest JTEK99

Is anyone else amazed at this kind of stuff? Here's the latest announcement/contest from CapSim regarding the "imminent" release of its C-130 Hercules.--------------------------------------20 Sep '05The 'Legendary C-130' can be out any day now. Guess the 'Legendary C-130' release date and have a chance to get it for free!--------------------------------------Unfortunately, the latest date you can enter is December 31, 2006. I'm not quite certain even that date is usable. :)A bit of friendly advice to the Captain Sim crew: don't say anything at all anymore. Just surprise the flightsim crowd with a release. No more "any day now" announcements.Additionally -- if anyone's interested -- here's the news on the pricing for the C-130:--------------------------------------1063 votes total Captain Sim's resume:The 'Legendary C-130' download package will be available at the price of 51.30 USD. Unfortunately nobody guessed the correct price (rounded to 51 USD), so there is no winner of this contest. --------------------------------------Yeah, right. :)

Guest FattyBear

Wow 51.30 to beta test CS's latest junk. And a "guess the release date" contest? How dumb can this company get?

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Well, considering that the PMDG is about that price, I think the Legendary Herk could be a hanger queen! Unless it's changed a ton since I helped with the beta -- seems the price of payware keep going through the roof!Best to all, Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest JTEK99

Yeah, I'm already anticipating the next CapSim contests/announcements:- "Guess the size of the C-130 package and win a free copy!!!"- "Guess the timestamp of the C-130 zip file and win a free copy!!!"- "Guess how many more C-130 announcements we'll be having and win a free copy!"- "Guess how long the delay will be for the first C-130 update patch and win a free copy!"Please, Captain Sim... fire your marketing guy. :)

This is probably the first time that a company is brazen enough to release a "beta version" as an official version that customers have to pay for. Why major -both commercial and non-commercial- flightsimulation communities continue to support this way of basically throwing eggs into customer's faces, is really completely beyond me. ricardo

I agree with Clay. At best it's a $34.95US aircraft and that's if all the bugs are fixed. The last comment to the Beta testers from CS was on Aug. 29th informing us that testing was over and we've heard nothing since on the beta forum. Looking at the track record of the beta 707 and drawing parallels to the C-130, I would say be prepaired to beta test the release version of the C-130 as I don't think the beta testers will see a release candidate. Saying this, I have better things to do so I have given up on CS and will concentrate on testing for developers who actually care about their product and customers.Cheers, JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/conc_capt_ba.jpg

Guest Dakota

Guess the frame rate you will get in VC mode and win a free copy!;)

In all honesty, as a prospective customer, I find Captain Sim an utterly unappealing and a downright scary developer with which to spend money, and my feeling is based largely on their own pronouncements.Scuse me while I beat a hasty path in their opposite direction - yikes.regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256p.s. - daaanng!

Regards,

Mark

Guest allcott

Jaap V. and I will say "I told you so..."Ripoff. It can be the best plane released for FS2004 and I still won't buy it with antics like this. And it would be my loss.But it won't, and it won't. It'll be a half-finished, overpriced piece of beautiful exterior model-making, and everything else won't matter because by the time you get past the `wow!` factor and hand over the spons, it's too late to realise THIS developer does not have a `money back` guarantee, does not even guarantee to fix anything that isn't fixed at the time of release, and as we see now, regards beta testing as something they should get paid for.Listen, and learn. It isn't going to be pretty.Allcott

While I agree with the notion, "Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it," I think it's kinda sad that all people seem to do is prejudge ... actually more than sad.No one knows what the final release will be ... If the price is too high, then it's a free world ... you don't need to buy it ... there's freeware and other payware HercsI thought that the CS-727 was a fairly good piece of software, had the details I wanted ... maybe the gauges were a bit tough to read at times ... but for it's time .. wasn't bad ... not the DF 727, but ...The flight sim world has become a pretty unfriendly place, full of critics and naysayers ... imho ... of course it's everyones' right to say what they want ... but would be really cool to wait to see what comes ... then provide constructive criticism.As for Capt S's marketing and contests ... what harm is there ... honestly ... EVERYONE is a CRITIC ... YUK. Not Madison Avenue ... but good grief ... they are just trying to drum up some interest.Just my $.05 ... Lighten up people, Paul BenoitKSAN

51.30 USD!?!?!Take that off my list.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Your statement that the "The flight sim world has become a pretty unfriendly place, full of critics and naysayers" is accurate, but there is a simple reason for this: addons are becoming more expensive by the month. Hence, it is only natural for potential customers to get as much feedback BEFORE shelling out the money. Unlike most traditional merchandise, a downloaded addon cannot be returned. In contrast to the stock market, I do thing that in the flightsim world "past performance does allow prediction about future performance." In the case of Captain Sim, past customer support has been abysmal - culminating in the elimination of their support forums. The ONLY way I (and others) could get help with CS products was via support offered by other users. Instead of revamping, strengthening and reintroducing customer support, CS has decided to create a smoke screen via childish contests that seem better suited for Counter Strike servers, populated by 16 year old high school kids. ricardo

Hi Paul,I have a bit more than a Critics seat on this issue. Being a tester since the 727(I was the CS technical advisor on that one) should give me a bit more insight into their workings than the casual viewer like yourself. Unless I missed your name on the Beta tester list ;-)>No one knows what the final release will be ... Not even the Beta testers know the final release(tongue firmly planted in cheek). I can just hear it now after the release....... How come those **** beta testers didn't catch this or that.. it's never directed to CS and how they allow, or don't allow, the testers to tear apart and make the release as bug free as possible. Frankly I was very tired of the tester being blamed on the F104 and B707 release, so that being said I wish CS all the luck they deserve.>I thought that the CS-727 was a fairly good piece of software, had the >details I wanted ... maybe the gauges were a bit tough to read at times >... but for it's time .. wasn't bad ... not the DF 727, but ...Yes, for a 3 year old release it was good for it's time and even better than the bug ridden 707.>As for Capt S's marketing and contests ... what harm is there ... >honestly ... EVERYONE is a CRITIC ... YUK. Not Madison Avenue ... but >good grief ... they are just trying to drum up some interest.>CS is their own worst enemy at this point so I don't know why you are taking this to heart. If you don't like seeing a company portrayed in the light it has painted itself in, then please don't read threads like this. If CS gave some(read ANY) interest in completing and fixing what they have released, or better yet, providing a release that is not a beta, then I'd say the criticism is unjustified but at this point I don't think so.>Lighten up people, You may want to take your own advice on this one ;-)Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/conc_capt_ba.jpg

Guest B52Drivr

Dear John,Standing besides you . . . and feel the same way. I also see no difference between the 727, 707, Yak, 104 and others in how it has been beta tested and released. Hey, perhaps we all will be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.Best Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"