Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cowboy10uk

AI Traffic and good ATC recommendations needed for P3Dv4

Quick update for this thread- VoxATC v7.4 was released and is p3dv4 compatible. It still can't detect AI models installed outside of the main simobjects/aircraft folder (mytraffic or any other addon using the new XML system) but a fix is being worked on. I haven't used it yet so can't comment on functionality. 

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Does that mean then, for VoxATC to work with MT6 (for now), I would have to move my MT6 aircraft folder into the simobjects/aircraft folder? Then, set traffic to 0 within the sim?  From what I understand, then VoxATC controls the AI instead of MT6.  

Does VoxATC create its own .BGL files instead of using the ones already in the sim leaving MT6 inactive except for the use of the models?  If so, does it use GA, PAX, cargo and military as MT6 does?

I'd like a better option than default ATC in v4; but don't want to lose some of the basic functions that default offers and AI recognition is one of the big ones.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

12 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Does that mean then, for VoxATC to work with MT6 (for now), I would have to move my MT6 aircraft folder into the simobjects/aircraft folder? Then, set traffic to 0 within the sim?  From what I understand, then VoxATC controls the AI instead of MT6.  

Does VoxATC create its own .BGL files instead of using the ones already in the sim leaving MT6 inactive except for the use of the models?  If so, does it use GA, PAX, cargo and military as MT6 does?

I'd like a better option than default ATC in v4; but don't want to lose some of the basic functions that default offers and AI recognition is one of the big ones.

I'm testing the "move the MT6 aircraft" method right now...and yes, VoxATC recommends turning off all traffic and ATC from within P3Dv4.  

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer the other questions - I'm not sure if VoxATC injects AI into the sim via simconnect or if it creates a traffic BGL (or some combination thereof); I'm also not sure what the ratio is for types.  I've got the 7-day trial installed.  I'm happy to report back what I learn over the weekend!

Edit: actually, thinking about this, if the traffic is set to zero in the sim, it can't be a bgl-based AI, must be injected via the API.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I installed VoxATC this afternoon and it must have found the MT6 aircraft folder without me having to move it into P3D.  I did turn down AI within the sim to 0 and am seeing aircraft at the airports and in the air!  Some things appear not to work.  I can't change the font colors without a crash and I haven't been able to assign joystick buttons.  But, I made a short flight and this may be a keeper - we will see!

Rick Abshier

Temporary workaround to change font colors:

1. Show hidden files.

2. Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Internal Workings\VoxATC P3D 4.

3. Make a backup copy of varmod.cfg

4. Edit varmod.cfg with either Notepad or any text editor. The file is plain ANSI text.

5. The font colors are here:

instructiontextred=255
instructiontextgreen=0
instructiontextblue=255
commstextred=0
commstextgreen=255
commstextblue=255
spokencommstextred=128
spokencommstextgreen=128
spokencommstextblue=128

In the above example, I have instruction text set to magenta, comms text to cyan and spoken text to gray.

6. Save varmod.cfg and restart VOXATC.

...or just wait for 7.41.

Thanks for the help with the colors!  

Rick Abshier

19 hours ago, Gridley said:

I'm testing the "move the MT6 aircraft" method right now...and yes, VoxATC recommends turning off all traffic and ATC from within P3Dv4.  

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer the other questions - I'm not sure if VoxATC injects AI into the sim via simconnect or if it creates a traffic BGL (or some combination thereof); I'm also not sure what the ratio is for types.  I've got the 7-day trial installed.  I'm happy to report back what I learn over the weekend!

Edit: actually, thinking about this, if the traffic is set to zero in the sim, it can't be a bgl-based AI, must be injected via the API.

It seems though that the MyTraffic .bgl files are used by VoxATC.  I removed them all and had no traffic.  So, I'm still not sure how VoxATC generates its traffic.

Rick Abshier

The VOXATC Indexer reads scenery.cfg in order to locate AI traffic BGL files. It then reads the traffic files, converts them to the VOXATC internal format and adds the schedules to the VOXATC database. It also searches SimObjects.cfg for AI aircraft models and liveries. These are also added to the database.

3 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The VOXATC Indexer reads scenery.cfg in order to locate AI traffic BGL files. It then reads the traffic files, converts them to the VOXATC internal format and adds the schedules to the VOXATC database. It also searches SimObjects.cfg for AI aircraft models and liveries. These are also added to the database.

Ah - that makes sense!

Rick Abshier

That's also why VOXATC needs a separate utility to process Ultimate Traffic files, because UT does not use traffic BGL files.

I have not taken the plunge with P3d V4 as yet, I am still on the fence, trying to work out what I would gain over what I would loose. My P3d v3.4 runs pretty well flawlessly with the add ons I have. (MCE, UT2, RC4, Mjc Dash 8...etc) Only over Orbx North California do I see my VAS critical with complex aircraft.

However, back on this topic, has anyone tried Radar Contact V4 with P3d V4?

RC4 uses FSUIPC. There is a 64 bit version written for P3d V4. Version 5.11, I believe. I think RC4 may well function exactly the same in P3d V4 as it does with P3d V3.4, if the FSUIPC v511 is used?

I know RC4 is long in the tooth, but it does "see" AI from UT2 and gives appropriate taxi and landing instructions. Perhaps it would "see" UT Live also?

Its something I would certainly try, should I go down the 64 bit route!

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Cheers

David

David, there is a known bug with P3Dv4 at present where Ai are instructed to runways. Anything with a trailing alpha character is not being enunciated. So 34 left is just 34. However, instructions to you are correct.

LM are aware of this and will fix it. In all other respects I believe RC4 works well with v4. I'm still on v3.4.

Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).

chlive.php

I utilize Radar Contact with out any incident  in P3D v4. I am very satisfied and recommend RC4  as  ATC service provider.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

19 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

David, there is a known bug with P3Dv4 at present where Ai are instructed to runways. Anything with a trailing alpha character is not being enunciated. So 34 left is just 34. However, instructions to you are correct.

LM are aware of this and will fix it. In all other respects I believe RC4 works well with v4. I'm still on v3.4.

18 hours ago, asanal said:

I utilize Radar Contact with out any incident  in P3D v4. I am very satisfied and recommend RC4  as  ATC service provider.

Thanks Ray. I am staying with 3.4 until I can identify more positives than the 64 bit VAS in V4!

Asanal, thanks, good to know! Considering RC4 was written for fs9, it's an impressive work!

Best regards

David

18 hours ago, asanal said:

So do I. Works great! I fly exclusively in the U.S., so I don't have to put up with the European phraseology, which I personally don't like...

"Climb altitude 4000..." Well, no kidding it's an altitude. What else would it be. Aren't we smart enough to understand "Climb and maintan 4000"  as an altitude instruction? Just seems like another dumbing down to me. There's too much of that happening in the world.

JMHO, of course!! I'll get down from my soap box now...  :biggrin:

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.