On 6/1/2019 at 5:33 AM, Jason_Peters said:

Though I'm still idling at 35-40C, and would really like to bring that down a bit.  

Why? It's not an issue. It wont cause any kind of premature degradation. It's simply your cooler fan, or fans, ramping down when not under load. 

If for some reason you do want your CPU temp lower at idle then it's simply a case of adjusting the fan curve in whatever software you are using or in the BIOS. But as I say, 30 - 40 degrees is no issue at all and will maintain a quiet PC at idle. 

9 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

What software are you useing for fan curves? 

Keeping it simple and running the AIO and fans with NZXT's CAM software. Currently working on tuning it as a positive pressure set-up and so far it seems to be working nicely. It'll take some time to find the sweet spot between noise/cooling needs.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Why? It's not an issue. It wont cause any kind of premature degradation. It's simply your cooler fan, or fans, ramping down when not under load. 

If for some reason you do want your CPU temp lower at idle then it's simply a case of adjusting the fan curve in whatever software you are using or in the BIOS. But as I say, 30 - 40 degrees is no issue at all and will maintain a quiet PC at idle. 

Agreed. I just like to have it idle at 35C or below without running the fans up beyond 45-50%.  I'm finding the 9700K tends to run a bit hot as it is, I've been idling (5-8% load) closer to 40C.  Lowing the clock from 5.2GHz to 5.1GHz, had had other nice benefits though, my 100% load temps fell to around 70C.  I'll keep tinkering with it, pretty happy overall though.

I finally installed P3Dv4.5 last night and it was giggle inducing coming from the previous system. Basically maxed all my sliders, 3440x1440 screen resolution, and with the default scenario it reported nearly 200 fps, and hardly broke a sweat!  I can't wait to get the add-ons loaded and start tweaking the sim to get some real world numbers.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:19 PM, Jason_Peters said:

Agreed. I just like to have it idle at 35C or below without running the fans up beyond 45-50%. 

Fair enough. But if you modify your fan curve so that it is at 35C or less, you will generate more noise unnecessarily. And indeed, your fans will edge closer to the 45 - 50% limit you have imposed.

Is the CPU throttling down at idle? Should be unless you have disabled power saving measures. That will of course reduce idle temp and keep fans low. 

Watch out for Windows Power Plans. Don't use 100% use balanced. If you don't then your CPU wont throttle back at idle. 

Your choice of course though. 🙂

Edited by martin-w