Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

VR+P3Dv4.5+Mouse Control

I figured I'd get a more knowledgeable response here rather than the P3D forum.

Stand by:

1: Mouse curser floats about with the head movement, I get that. Can it be stopped? I have the three slider switches set to OFF to no effect.

2: With a combination of head movements and hand movements with the mouse I can get the curser over a switch, nudge it till the opacity changes and...whoosh! The curser dashes off to more important jobs! (sometimes)

3: There are various other selections below the three slider switches concerning reaction times etc. None of which make any discernible difference. I'm beginning to remember one of the reasons I uninstalled P3D! I reinstalled it last week because the Rift S has made a fantastic difference to P3D. It's no longer a sludge fest.

Anyway, a few pointers wouldn't come amiss if you have any that is. Maybe you're all suffering the same.

Ron

vr%20settings.JPG

Oh, I did go to the learning centre but learned nothing. :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I forgot to add I'm using the Rift S, if that makes a difference.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm not sure how. I don't want to hide the curser, I just want it to stay where I put it and then react to a click. i.e. point at a switch, left click and switch switches. You know, like it does on pancake P3D.

But thanks for caring. 👍

13 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I'm not sure how. I don't want to hide the curser, I just want it to stay where I put it and then react to a click. i.e. point at a switch, left click and switch switches. You know, like it does on pancake P3D.

But thanks for caring. 👍

It works like some sort of mix between keeping the cursor in sight of your eyes and where you move it physically with the mouse. At the same time, I can usually move it out of the way when I need to hand fly and as long as I don't move my head around too much it stays at the edge of my field of view. I find it works very well. You'll get used to it with time. 

I've just discovered the cause of one of my gripes. In that switches don't react to a mouse click. At some point I must have(no, did) a right click on a switch which unbeknown by me caused the 'View' menu to pop up. Of course, that renders the mouse useless until you get rid of the menu.

After reading the link above plus other I reckon I'll put up with, or at least have a better understanding of, P3D's flakey VR interface.

Over and out.

This is indeed one of the things that Lockheed needs to improve in the future. It gets the job done, but nothing more.

The other thing is the HDR not functioning in VR so far.

16 hours ago, Farlis said:

The other thing is the HDR not functioning in VR so far.

what do you mean?

1 hour ago, andreh said:

what do you mean?

P3D's HDR is not supported in VR. It gets deactivated as soon you switch to VR.

HDR works in vr. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

No it doesn't, Yes it does. No it doesn't. Yes it does. Make your minds up!

5 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

HDR works in vr. 

Not with the Rift.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html

1. Ensure that the Oculus Rift is plugged in and working, and that the latest runtime and firmware updates are installed.
  2. Start Prepar3D
  3. HDR will turn off automatically
Edited by Farlis

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

Not with the Rift.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html

1. Ensure that the Oculus Rift is plugged in and working, and that the latest runtime and firmware updates are installed.
  2. Start Prepar3D
  3. HDR will turn off automatically

Old information. It most definetly works now. 

Edited by andreh

You are correct it seems. The link that google produced refers to v3 version of the SDK. The newer v4 learning center has this text.

1. Ensure that the headset is plugged in and working, and that the latest runtime and firmware updates for your hardware are installed.
    • For Oculus Rift, ensure that Allow 3rd Party Content is checked in the Oculus Home settings.
  2. Start Prepar3D.
  3. Click on the Virtual Reality menu.
  4. Select Enable Virtual Reality and then select the desired runtime for the headset (SteamVR, Oculus, Varjo VR-1, or HMD Emulator).
  5. Prepar3D should now be visible inside the virtual reality headset.
  6. Select Recalibrate Origin to reset the position of the headset to where you are sitting.
  7. The active view can be changed through the Views menu.