Sign in to follow this  
ap1

ATC Discussion

i don't know why in 2020 why cant we have Speech recognition ATC from day one ???

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I’m sure it will come but we can’t have it all day one. Remember this is a change in the way previous sims have been delivered. Just because it’s not there day one doesn’t mean it won’t come. 

You don’t want (and the devs have already said they won’t) have lots of half baked features. 

Would a multiplayer with Real World Procedures be difficult to implement on day 1? I mean with real simmers at ATC, like an in-game IVAO? Simmers could acces ATC positions by graduating some in-game classes.

This kind of voice interaction is a standard in other games for years, like ARMA 3 where ATC can be made with radio channels and we can select a different channel in each ear. It also provides sound spatialization so we know where the voice come from only by listening to it, could be great for shared cockpits.

As long as there's an option NOT to use speech recognition. I don't want to sit there 'talking' to my computer.

• Like 2

Ian Box

I would be quite happy if Pete & John Dowson could adapt MakeRunways.exe to create the necessary files for Radar Contact v4 to work with MFS20.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/31/2019 at 12:21 AM, rtodepart said:

i don't know why in 2020 why cant we have Speech recognition ATC from day one ???

Because polls here have shown that VR is a lot more popular and the #1 most requested feature at this point!  And apparently the Devs at MSFS2020 have listened!

Chris Camp

9 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Because polls here have shown that VR is a lot more popular and the #1 most requested feature at this point!  And apparently the Devs at MSFS2020 have listened!

i was just trying to say why someone has not worked on this to be the normal on the past sims  not just fs2020 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

35 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

i was just trying to say why someone has not worked on this to be the normal on the past sims  not just fs2020 

Actually, there are a whole host of ATC add-ons for both P3d4 and XP11. Their existence takes the pressure off LM an LR to improve the default ATC. Besides, the integration of ATC and AI aircraft within the default sim is extremely complex. We may see the same mediocre default ATC in the first release of MSFS.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:21 AM, rtodepart said:

9 hours ago, rtodepart said:

We have it already.

VoxAtc and Pilot2ATC come with their own voice recognition. PF3, Radar Contact and FSX / P3D native ATC all work with voice recognition via Multi Crew Experience.

So we have at least five options for ATC with voice recognition already now. None of these is perfect or fulfills everybody's needs, but voice recognition is not the problem.

My main concern for the new sim is that they get the ATC engine itself right, including a realistic handling of both the user and AI aircraft, in the air and on the ground.

Adding voice recognition shouldn't be a big deal.

Edited by RALF9636

On 10/29/2019 at 2:33 PM, dave2013 said:

I hope the developers simply improve the FSX ATC, i.e. fix the vectoring issues, utilize SIDs and STARs, and fix the late altitude clearances.

I wouldn't count on 3rd party developers for ATC.  There are several offerings available for FSX right now and they all have major flaws and/or shortcomings.

Dave 

On 10/29/2019 at 8:31 PM, Kilo60 said:

So true!!!

Add-on ATC has been a mixed bag and default is still better in many ways!

... and a lot worse in many other ways.

But I agree that all the addon ATC options are far from completely satisfying. All the ATC addon devs do a great job, but they are all more or less one man shows, working on their apps in their spare time, so their ressources inevitably are quite limited.

I always wondered why none of the big players adressed ATC. Since there seems to be a considerable user demand for a professional offline ATC, I guess it must be because the FSX / P3D ATC (and in particular AI) engine is so limited, that it is just impossible to come up with a professional solution that fulfills the own quality standards of the big players.

I really hope for the new sim there will be a more professional approach to ATC, be it by Asobo / MS themselves or by one or more big third party developers building upon an expandable basic ATC system of the new sim.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1