Sign in to follow this  
Kpeters

Bing Maps vs Google Earth imagery

2 hours ago, GlideBy said:

This was one thought I had above, "or maybe they used images taken at different times of the year to help simulate seasons."

So maybe they have four shots of this area taken at different times of the year.  Even better if they have monthly shots.

But that seems like too much to hope for.  So I wonder if they will support seasons on different levels for different areas.  For example if they only have a summer shot, they may just dump snow on it, or tint it white.  And other areas they have four seasons of satellite photos, so snow goes on the winter photo.  (This is more complex than it sounds.)

The only problem with monthly photos is continuity.  So let’s say the December one has snow on it, but the January one doesn’t for some reason.  Whereas the city next door could have different imagery.  I personally think the best solution would be a Spring/Early summer shot (basically when everything is in full bloom and snow is mostly gone), a late summer shot (when the color blooms are gone), next up there would be a late fall/early winter shot after the leaves have fallen and the grass has turned brown.  Winter would be simulated by adding snow to this particular imagery set.  Whereas the colorful fall we all know and love would be simulated by tweaking the saturation/colors via post-post processing to the late summer shot.

Even still though, what about parts of the World that have snow into June/July?  I actually think technology has advanced enough that they can have one shot (in Summer), and then use shaders to simulate pretty much everything.  No matter how they do it though, this comparison is exciting!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Claviateur said:

It's not more work at all, it's automated. In fact we do this for the other simulator with a 3rd part app that generates photoreal/orthophoto scenery for any region of the world (as long as you have space on your disks). This tool has many options for many things concerining the photoreal scenery, including the automatic addition of a "decal" layer (sand, rocks, grass etc.). 

It's not possible to load better textures because the Aerial imagery is not consistent. Some areas have Zoom levels that go up to 19 other remote areas have much less... Yet even if the entire planet enjoys the maximum zoom level (possible resolution) of imagery, streaming and storing it would be an issue...

I uploaded the screenshot again. It shows the automated "Decal" texture application on aerial imagery in the other simulator:

9k3DAwC.jpg

Had to look at if on my cellphone for some reason! But wow yeah the MSFS pic is way way better than the Bing Imagery.